CAS ammo question - where to buy in Atlanta?

Started by HappyTrigger, March 22, 2009, 11:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTrigger

Hey pards. I'm brand new to CAS. Does anyone know where to buy 45 LC cowboy load ammo anywhere in the Atlanta area (preferably Cobb, Cherokee, North Fulton). I've gone to my local gunstores and they don't know what I'm talking about. Second, are there any CAS clubs in the North Atlanta area? Contacts?

Thanks.

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: HappyTrigger on March 22, 2009, 11:53:46 AM
Hey pards. I'm brand new to CAS. Does anyone know where to buy 45 LC cowboy load ammo anywhere in the Atlanta area (preferably Cobb, Cherokee, North Fulton). I've gone to my local gunstores and they don't know what I'm talking about. Second, are there any CAS clubs in the North Atlanta area? Contacts?

Try Georgia Arms.  Here's their website:  http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx

I originally purchased .308 and .223 match ammo from them, and was always quite pleased at their consistency.  Once having adjusted for the natural and unavoidable (though tiny) differences between ammo lots, I found them to be AT LEAST as good as Federal Gold Medal, and at considerably less cost.

When I started shooting CAS, I began ordering their CAS ammo (.38 spl and .45 Colt).  Again I have been pleased.  I will say, though, that their loads are a bit more, ah, enthusiastic than the ammo from other vendors.

Fairshake

If you decide to stay in CAS then you need to reload. The money spent on ammo for a few matches is more than enough to get you started. You should go to the SASS site and see where the clubs are in your area. The members will be more than happy to help you out. You can bet that if they are buying ammo they know where to buy.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Fairshake on March 27, 2009, 06:50:13 AM
If you decide to stay in CAS then you need to reload.

Though desirable from a cost standpoint, there are many of us for whom that simply isn't a viable option.

-- Nighteyes

Deadeye Don

I will start reloading when I am unable to pay someone to make my ammo for me.   ;D ;)

I second the Georgia Arms idea.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Infernal Combustion

Adventure Outdoors on S. Cobb Drive (near Windy Hill) has some 45 Colt Cowboy loads on occasion.  I believe they are the Ultramax brand (reloads) and were less than $25 for 50 last time I bought them there.
Sometimes its not the speed but the direction...

HappyTrigger

Thanks for the responses. I attended the local club (River Bend Rough Riders) event this weekend and talked with some of the pards there. They seconded the Georgia Arms suggestion, although the company says they are 8 weeks behind on filling orders.

I was also at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna about 2 weeks ago, and not only did they not have any CAS ammo, their huge ammo counter was practically empty!

Midway USA had some CAS ammo about 3 weeks ago, but I was going to try to find some locally. After not finding any, I went back to Midway's web site and found that everything is now backordered.

Another comment from someone, regarding reloading, was that they couldn't get primers for .45 LC.

Any further suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Infernal Combustion

Sorry I missed you at River Bend at the last match - I had to work and couldn't make it.

Primers are extremely hard to find right now.  I was in a Bass Pro Shop in Savannah last weekend and they didn't have any.  On the SASS Wire, the primer shortage is a hot topic.  Ammo in any caliber is also in short supply and finding powder is getting tough.  The Bass Pro Shop I was in did have ammo, even some Winchester 45 LC Cowboy loads.  The one near Lilburn may also have some.
Sometimes its not the speed but the direction...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com