Double Action

Started by Don Nix, March 18, 2009, 09:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Nix

Has anyone ever given any thought to converting a 58 or a 75 to double action?
I wonder if its ever been done and how it would be to accomplish.

I woke up in the middle of night last night thinking about that and trying to figure out how to do it.
Any Ideas?

Flint

Remington made them, as a "New Model Double Action Belt Revolver", both as cap & ball and as conversions.  They had a larger triggerguard and the trigger was further forward.  They were 36 caliber, and the frame was a fraction smaller than the Navy.  I have never seen a NMA or NMN in double action, nor any DA version of the 75 or 90.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Hoof Hearted

The screws (that the internal parts pivot on) enter from the opposite side of the frame on the double action model. I'm not sure why but it is another interesting tibit in regards to the Double Action Remington ;D

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Flint

Hoof, I'll bet a trigger and hammer screw coming from the left (single action) side might come unscrewed because of the longer, heavier triggerpull, and the screw going in on the right side would tend to be tightened upon pulling the trigger.  Could be a reason the Old Model Ruger 3 screws go in on the right as well....
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Qball

My friend have two of them DA Remington's here in Sweden
the convertion is .38 Rimfire and the other is .36 C&B

He also have drawings of the inside parts  ;D

WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Don Nix on March 18, 2009, 09:55:01 PM
Has anyone ever given any thought to converting a 58 or a 75 to double action?
I wonder if its ever been done and how it would be to accomplish.

I woke up in the middle of night last night thinking about that and trying to figure out how to do it.
Any Ideas?

THAT"S WHAT WOKE YOU UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!?!  :o

Dude, you really have some issues to deal with................. ::)

Bruce

Don Nix

No, but I have manners enough not to say why I got up at 3am.
I handle any issues I might have quite well and...
...dont call me DUDE

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Not to really Hi-Jack this thread, so I'll keep close to the topic.  I love the idea of the size and calibre of the Remington NM Belt revolver in .36.  It is between the Navy and Police models.

I love to see a clone in single action, made in the correct size.  Maybe they could figure out how to make it a double action without too much retooling.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Wolfgang

Qball . . . thank you very much for posting the double actions.  Very, very interesting.  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Qball

Quote from: Wolfgang on March 21, 2009, 09:25:42 PM
Qball . . . thank you very much for posting the double actions.  Very, very interesting.  :)

Thanx, both revolvers need's lot's of work with the interior parts (they are missing) therefore the drawing.
Unfortunatly he don't have time to do any work on them yet due to him building a house for his new family.
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Don Nix

I think thats really cool.  A double action 58 NMA would be a blast to shoot.These just seem to lend themselves to that modification. Shortened barrel and polished up ,would make a good every day carry weapon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com