Target Distances

Started by Angel_Eyes, March 17, 2009, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel_Eyes

Just wondered if there were minimum and maximum distances that should be observed when placing targets for each gun discipline.

More for safety reasons than any other concern.  ???

Angel Eyes
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Sagebrush Burns

I f you check the SASS shooters book you will find suggested target distances.

Angel_Eyes

Thanks Sagebrush, amazing what you can forget when you get into your 60's, I had actually read these when I first visited this forum, back in,,,,,,,,,,,. :-[

Damn, now where did I leave the wife ???

Who was I again?? Oh yeah, Angel Eyes  ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Adirondack Jack

For SAFETY purposes, HOW targets hang is most important.  If the targets are slightly angled so the top is a hair closer to the shooter than the bottom, and the target is free to move just a tiny bit when struck (but not so much that the plate might be angled the other way, with the bottom closer than the top, when the next round is fired) you can, and I have, shot em at point blank range  and not have any splatter issues at all.

I like to think of it like a pool table.  Imagine yer gonna shoot a pool ball at the target.  Where is it gonna bounce to?  If the target is angled like I said, it's going right in the ground below the target.  If it's angled so that toe of the the target is closer than the top, it's coming right back in yer kisser. AAMOF that can be VERY bad.

I once knew a feller who owneda junk yard, and used to shoot at steel out back.  One day he shot at a brake disc that was leaning against a car (toe closer than top).  A bullet came back, went between two ribs, and he was DRT.  The gun was only a .22, and he was shooting from proably 20 feet.  Had that target been positioned right, ya coulda shot it with a .44 mag and not got hurt.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Abilene

Quote from: Adirondack Jack on March 18, 2009, 10:39:46 AM
For SAFETY purposes, HOW targets hang is most important... <snip>

In addition to how they hang, the type of stand used is a factor as well, if parts of the stand are below the target where the downward splatter can hit them, then those can cause some problems as well.  Another common problem can be from shotgun targets, because pellets often hit the stands and bounce back at crazy angles

Ole Man Dan 95

Near-by Shotgun targets splash the shooters frequently.   At our club you sometimes get hit by pellets from another possee.
Solution:  Watch the angles shot will come off of plates...
My not very popular solution:  Move the shotgun targets further back...(Gamers hate this solution)
If pistol, rifle & shotgun targets were generally moved bach an additional 2 yds.  Most bounce backs would either be eleminated or greatly reduced in velocity.

Leo Tanner

I was plinking at the free outdoor range not so long ago and the guy standing next ta me took one in the face off a steel target that was set up wrong.  It was set about 30 feet out and leaning toe out.  He didn't sustain a serious injury, but he did bleed and he had his young son with him.  The target was pulled on the next clear.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com