cutting problems

Started by cowboy316, March 16, 2009, 05:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

hey guys i know that this seems silly to ask but im having trouple cutting out my patterns and then getting a good even border line on them any advice on cutting out patterns and doing the border lines ??? ??? ???
   Thanks guys
    Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

I use a very sharp knife that doesn't require pulling. I mostly push the knife for straight lines. I rock the blade, scissor-like, to cut outside radiuses. I do pull on an inside cut with a narrow knife that allows me to follow a like evenly. For tight inside radiuses, I cut with a punch and then follow with a knife. Here are the three I use. I suppose I'll try my round knife when I'm finished with it. The top one is what I use for most cuts. The middle one is form most inside radiuses. The bottom one is for trimming when the other two can't do the job.

As to border lines, are you talking about putting a bead on the edge or a cut line further in?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboy316

thank you Marshal for that advice now i just need to find a knife like that
and as for the border line i was talking bout the on further in like when your doing a basket stamp and i have the tool for marking them and now that some one has explained how the cutting is done it might make doing border line easier
thanks again for the advice now its time to find a knife LOL and get to cutting got lots of cell cases to make lol
  thanks
    Cowboy316

cowboywc

Howdy Cowboy
Try using a pair of wing dividers to lay in your borders.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboy316

WC
i was thinking that and now that tandy has them on sale this month i might get a set im always needing them for something
thanks again
   Cowboy316

Slowhand Bob

For cutting, my favorite knives are the Personna carpet cutter for anything that does not have to sharp a curves, a hook head box opener, like the one Tandy lists, for moderate curvatures like holster throats and a concave blade X-Acto hobby Knife for the tightest of places and nipping the small spots.  Use your larger hole and strap end punches whenever they can duplicate the small curvatures such as trigger reliefs and sight cuts.  Slightly moist leather seams easier to cut and I usually take more than one trip around heavy leathers, being just as careful the second time around as the first.  I frequently have a problem with the 'hurry ups' and leather is not the place for this, but then, Dad always said I would never learn.   

cowboy316

ok guys next question front or back side for marking out patterns and what do you use for marking ive always used ball point pen and didi my pattern on the rought side
    Cowboy316

Slowhand Bob

Mostly a dull pencil on the grain side.  In years past there has been an occasion or two where the ink pens have caused smear problems for me BUT if you like the contrast you can get the new x-fine point Sharpie.  Pencil or even stylus lines can be seen well with the right light.

TN Mongo

+1 for the dull pencil.  I've ruined some nice leather with a ball point.

cowboy316

just wish i could get my hands on a used knife fairly reasonable priced

cowboywc

Howdy
I use a scratch awl for putting on my pattern lines.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

maddhatter

greetings one an all.
depending on the type of cutting to be done depends on the type of blade i use, for boarders i use a boarder tool with a 3/8th swivel knife blade, cutting all the way thru i use the filgree (how ever ya spell it) or a razor blade

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: cowboy316 on March 17, 2009, 11:02:30 AMthank you Marshal for that advice now i just need to find a knife like that
I made that one out of an old power hacksaw blade but there's no reason you couldn't make one from an old butcher knife from a thrift store. Be careful not to heat the blade when you grind on it. Make a quick pass and let it cool before doing another one. Here's another picture next to a ruler for reference.

cowboy316

Marshal
  thank you for the idea and the pic ill have to try to make one seeing how if i can make my own maul i think i might be able to make a knife LOL
spaeking of mauls im revamping mine with a new handel system and am hoping to get bout 2 feet of poly for heads so i might have somme for sale here soon i hope
    Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

By "for sale", I assume you mean sharing expenses on the initial purchase. We don't want to offend any of our advertisers, here.

cowboy316

cazio

Howdy fellas,
   I've been lurking around and just reading for about a week now and decide to jump in here. I have a tracing tool that I got from tandy awhile back, it's all metal and when you trace your pattern it makes a nice groove in the leather that makes it easy to run your knife around. I use a swivel knife first and then an exacto knife to finish and it gives me a very clean edge. Hope this help and I look forward to seeing some of your work and learning.

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for posting the tip, Cazio. Welcome to the forum. Ask away and chiime in when you like. Looking forward to your posts.

cazio

Thank you for the welcome Marshall. I'm planning a buscardo belt and have been reading up on tips and tricks, espcially the cartridge loops. The info in the FAQ is great.

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Cazio. These pards have a wealth of information. It'll be fun seeing your belt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com