The Man with No Name comes to Blu Ray

Started by Thai Fighter, March 16, 2009, 12:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thai Fighter

Just in case you're like me and waiting to start your Blu Ray Western Library:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/MGM/Disc_Announcements/Blu-ray_to_Get_Good,_Bad_and_Ugly_this_May/2538

Next I'd like to see "Silverado" which is the movie that got me to fall in love with westerns as a teenager all over again.  There are better movies out there than Silverado, but none I have fonder memories for at the moment.

Best,

TF

Harley Starr

Silverado was the first Western that I can remember seeing at a very young age. Fond memories of that one too.
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly on Blu-Ray, sounds great but I want to see For a Few Dollars More even more.
While I'm thinking about it, how about Young Guns 1 & 2?
A work in progress.

Thai Fighter

It's ironic that they jump into the hi-def pool with the "last" of the "Man with No Name" trilogy instead of the first, "Fist Full of Dollars".  I think I'll Netflix this in Blu Ray and then hold off purchasing until the 3-set edition comes out.  In hopes that they'll be some special bonuses in waiting for an all in one compendium.

Young Guns "1" was good, "2" was eh... OK.  :)  I was still needing that final nudge to "go western".  I don't know why Silverado did it so much for me... the story, the (Copeland'esque) music, the town.  Young Guns was just a bunch of post- John Hughs looking kids running around with guns.  The one character who I could get into, General Zod (I mean John Tunstall), was sacrificed to provide our characters with an impetus to do their "thing" to early.

As for "Young Riders".  Waaaah-Hooo!.  When Young Riders came out four years later, I truly became more than casually interested in "The West".  In fact, that's what made me take the first step and go into Service Merchandise and buy that Armi San Marco 1851, followed by the coffee table Colt Book, and my failed attempt at getting a Winchester 94 before they stopped production.  Had I to do it over again, I would have paid a few dollars more for the steel framed one.  But, at age 21 I didn't know a brass framed from a steel, but the $30 difference was huge in 1989.

Young Riders basically portrayed the West as I thought it would truly look in a physical sense.  Don't get me going on characters though, that was weak.  But the production value and sets got me into the series.  At least for the first season.  Season 2 saw me missing it more often than not.  It had lost it's spirit due to focus group and myopic Suits.

Old Top

Thai Fighter,

Actually the Good the Bad and the Ugly is the first of the trilogy, that was filmed last, with a Few Dollars More being the second and A Fist full of Dollars being the first.  Confused enough?

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Thai Fighter

Quote from: Old Top on March 17, 2009, 02:02:48 AM
Thai Fighter,

Actually the Good the Bad and the Ugly is the first of the trilogy, that was filmed last, with a Few Dollars More being the second and A Fist full of Dollars being the first.  Confused enough?

Old Top

My Head just exploded :)  I'm going to have to rewatch all of them...

Russ T Chambers

Towards the end, right after they blow up the bridge, you'll see Eastwood pick up the serape that becomes his trademark for the next two movies.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Texas Lawdog

Those spagetti westerns made Clint an international star. I still enjoy watchin' an old "Rawhide" episode once in a while.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Abilene

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on March 17, 2009, 04:30:06 AM
Towards the end, right after they blow up the bridge, you'll see Eastwood pick up the serape that becomes his trademark for the next two movies.

Plus, in the "Dollar" movies he's shooting a SAA.  Kept the snakes, tho.   Guess that's where Lucas got his idea for shooting the Star Wars movies out of order.   ;D

Harley Starr

Quote from: Abilene on March 17, 2009, 11:23:18 AM
Plus, in the "Dollar" movies he's shooting a SAA.  Kept the snakes, tho.   Guess that's where Lucas got his idea for shooting the Star Wars movies out of order.   ;D

Lucas had no choice but to shoot the Star Wars movies out of order because the technology of the times were unable to fully realize his vision.
A work in progress.

Thai Fighter

Quote from: Ridgway on March 17, 2009, 11:08:29 PM
Lucas had no choice but to shoot the Star Wars movies out of order because the technology of the times were unable to fully realize his vision.

What that really translates into is that Lucas had no idea what backstory he had after the first one was made and his revisionist history brain started making up stuff as he was going!  He had some rough plot lines, but this whole thing where he's trying to sell us on the SW universe having always been there exactly as he had envisioned it is just bull.

I'd respect him more if he just came out and said, I didn't have it all flushed out and the success of the first movie allowed me to fill in the blanks after all these years.

Trinity

Quote from: Old Top on March 17, 2009, 02:02:48 AM
Thai Fighter,

Old Top

A lot of people have theorized about the order, but to me, they are all different movies.  Kinda like Dirty Harry and The Gauntlet... same Actor / Same type of character, but still different.  Also, I never figured out the "Man with no Name" bit.  He is clearly identified as Manco in the For a Few Dollars More flick and was given nicknames in the others.  Yeah, yeah.  I know.  HE never said what his name was.

Quote from: Abilene on March 17, 2009, 11:23:18 AM
Plus, in the "Dollar" movies he's shooting a SAA.  Kept the snakes, tho.   Guess that's where Lucas got his idea for shooting the Star Wars movies out of order.   ;D

You are correct.  In the "Dollar movies" he's shooting the SAA, but in GBU, he's shooting the hybrid open-top.

Those movies are what drew me to westerns.  I love 'em!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com