Looking For Double Shell Pattern

Started by JD Alan, March 14, 2009, 05:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Gentlemen, I'm wondering if anyone out in these parts would have a pattern for a shotgun belt similiar to Evil Roy's. I've seen several belts that put two shotgun shells in the same pouch, and that's what I'm looking for.

I would be most happy to purchase such a pattern. I've messed around a little with it, and I'm just not experienced enough (IMO) to pull that one off. I've seen several that have single shotgun loops, but I'm wantin doubles.

Feel free to respond here, or shoot me a PM. I'm assuming this type of request is OK, and if not, I expect I will hear about it!   

Thanks, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

outrider

JD,

I have made numerous shotgun belts with both the single and double loop configurations.  They are not that hard to do.  Let me get some measurements together and I will post them on here.  Actually, if I remember correctly I posted the dimensions on here once before. I think the Marshal posted them in the FAQ thread.  I will take a photo of my newest belt (I wish I would stop gaining) which is the double loop configuration for a 12 ga.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

knucklehead

JD,

Somewhere in my poor excuse of a filling system i have the pattern package SINGLE ACTION ACCESSORIES from hidecrafter.
this pattern package has patterns for bullet slides, bullet caddy, shotgun shell slides and badge holders.

not sure if it shows the 2 shells in one loop pattern.
i also have several leather crafter journal mags and i do remember one of them showing how to make the shotgun shell belt.

you are welcome to mosey on over to my side and see if the patterns will help.
shouldnt be too hard to modify a pattern to your specs once you see how to lay out the basic idea.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Dalton Masterson

That pattern pack is for the individual loops, but can be adapted easily enough. I made mine with a sewn tab underneath to make a nice 3 sided pocket. It works well that way.
Just had to stretch the pattern out a hair for the 2 shells to fit together.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

I don't know Outrider, if your picture is recent, you look like you'd have to run around in the shower to get wet! I do appreciate your offer, and I will do a search on the site as well.

Knucklehead and Dalton, I have the Accessories pattern pack from Hidecrafters, the one designed by Jim Simmons. I would like to made one witha pouch instead of a strip with another strip on the bottom, if possible.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. 

Dalton Masterson

JD, heres a few pics of what I was talking about. This is the basic idea from the pattern pack, but then changed to fit 2.
The bottom one is the first one I did, but after using it for a year or so, I need to change the straps to a slightly different setup.

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Dalton, if we ever end up in the same place I owe you a steak dinner for being such a great help to me on this forum! That's exactly what I am looking for. I think I can handle that. Can you tell me what weight the leather is you are using for the pouch?

Outrider, I'm still interested in seeing what you have.

Thanks guys, you are the best!

Dalton Masterson

Boy, I dont really remember what the actual weight is, but if I had to guess, its 6-7, or maybe just a little less. Its pretty thin. Its the same little roll of leather I have had forever for making cartridge loops and the like, so........

If you do the loops like I did, put the snaps up higher, or double them up. I am going to add a snap to the top corners as well, to keep them in place in use. They tend to slip around after awhile when the straps get out of whack.

DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

My plan is to make a shotgun belt, rather than just a slide. I've not done cartridge loops of any kind, but there's a first time for everything! Thanks, JD 

Dalton Masterson

Aaah, good. I think that belts look much better without slides added on, but.... I still use them. Makes swapping calibers and guages much easier.
Good luck to you JD.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

outrider

JD,

I have done the double loops both ways  one with a thick strip under the loop to keep the shells from sliping through and one similar to the way Dalton has done it.  If you take a close look at the shotgun belts from Kirkpatrick you will see that they do it like Dalton hes done it and they secure the "T" section of the loop with a piece of suede.  The pouch type are nice but labor intensive as compared to the sewn on strip under the loops.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

JD,

No...the picture is not recent.  That was back when I smoked. After quitting I immediately gained from 130 pounds to 165 and went up four waist sizes (from 32 to 36)

Anyway here are some shots of the belt 
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

another shot of the shotgun belt
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

Outrider, I have not tried it yet but somethin that a couple of makers are doing now is two strips, upper and lower, on the ss loops.  Naturally the one ot the bottom to hold the shells high but a second is added at the top of the loops, just like the one on bottom.  The purpose seems to offer a dual benefit, it pivots the shells outward for a speedier grab while also making the bottom retainer more positive due to the shells hitting it at a sharper angle.  I hope to make myself a new belly wrapper soon and will use my own hizzenself as a test module for this idea. 

JD Alan

Thanks Outrider, I appreciate the pics. Doing it that way seems the easiest possible. Congratulations on quitting smoking, that's a real bugger of a habi to break. I started using insulin this time last year, and put on about 25 pounds, what a drag, since I already weigh too much. A truck accient in '85 messed up my ability to excercise like I used to. That added weight too.

Like some of my friends say, "Don't hang things up in the closet, 'cause they'll shrink on yah!   ::)

outrider

Slowhand,

I have not heard about the strip on the top of the loops, but it does not surprise me in the least that someone would do that.  Some shooters will do anything to gain a few miliseconds.  I have heard that at Winter Range there were a few cowpokes that actually disconnected the closing mechinism on the double barrel shotguns to gain addition time.  They actually were holding the thing closed with their hands.,..I would say this is really one un-safe way to shoot...if I ever see anyone doing that I will immediately leave the range.

SASS rules say that the shotgun belts cannot be made so that the shells stick outward on an angle... but some will do anything.. 
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

These are generally tricks for the skinny guys belts as us fattys got a natural tilter.  These loop styles are a fairly new observation but I did get the impression that the gear was probably made by different makers and it is a quick cheap way to offer something different.  I do not know how the situation has resolved itself with several of the big makers still doing the reverse curve on the shotgun belts so that they tilt out on thinner shooters.  My personal shell belt is a nightmare but actually puts them way out there due to layering over me big belly.  I use a blank belt with shotshell slides that contain double shell cups that have individual backs.  If yall promise not to laugh I'll git the wife to take a picture one day if I can ever pay the ransom for the hospital to release her.

ogreshooter

OK, so we can not make the shotshells tilt OUT from the body, but what about angled across the belt? Think of it as cant on a holster, but angle the tops towards the strong side so that when you grab with your weak hand, you dont have to break the angle of your wrist. Just bend at the elbow, grab and go.

What say the rule masters on here....

HW

Kid Terico

JD here one of the ones I made. It has a closed bottom. It can be left open with a strip under it. Sorry for the double up on the pictures. Forgot to show the bottom. KT

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com