1870's Half Seat Saddle

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, March 12, 2009, 06:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

Here is a couple of photos of a 1870's half seat saddle I built about five or six years ago. I'm in the process of building a 1860 Hope Saddle that I hope (no pun intended) to finish this summer. The stirrups are not correct and I need to change them.

This Style of saddle started appearing in the early 1870's and were still being sold in the Sears 1895 catalog.

Bill

1870's Half Seat, 6" Cantle A-fork

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Mogorilla

That looks great!  That is an item on my bucket list, make a saddle.  I have never had the opportunity to do much riding beyond vacation stuff, and considering my size, the SPCA tends to keep an eye on that! :D    I have Stohlman's three encyclopedia's and a modern/western saddle I bought for a song, Someday soon I will be buying a tree I hope, for a hope as well.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a beautiful sadle, Bill. I love that color with the black trim. Really makes it look elegant.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on March 12, 2009, 08:42:39 PM
That's a beautiful sadle, Bill. I love that color with the black trim. Really makes it look elegant.

Marshal.......I know its hard to tell in the photo but the saddle is all dark brown, no black.......I'm not sure why it came out that way when I took it, probably the lighting.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Gun Butcher

Bill, you did a great job on that saddle,no doubt about it.  I have an 1880's tree at the house and all the original pieces that go on it to help with the pattern. Looking at yours has given me some ideas, maybe its time to get started.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

RollingThunder

I agree. That's some very impressive work you've done there. Can't wait to see the Hope!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ottawa Creek Bill on March 12, 2009, 09:05:00 PMMarshal.......I know its hard to tell in the photo but the saddle is all dark brown, no black.......I'm not sure why it came out that way when I took it, probably the lighting.
Cameras can do some odd things depending on the lighting. That saddle is just outstanding. In all brown, all the better.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Wow, that's impressive. Why is it called a "half seat"?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Bill,

Very nice! Excellent workmanship! Out of curiosity how many hours would a project like this take?

Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

David Carrico

That looks good! Very authentic. I am now calling all of my saddles "Hope" saddles. I "hope" to get them built, and I "hope" they sell! I know where you can get a nice pair of Doghouse stirrups to really complete that rig!
DC

Ottawa Creek Bill

David......How are you doing? It's been awhile...Yeah..the dog house stirrups would look much better. I was visiting your site on tuesday and I noticed you had them for sale...do you make them your self?

I've got one of the Hope trees from Bowden saddle tree company down in Texas...I've got all the leather cut, ready to put on the saddle....just other things have taken priority (I have my own Video Production company).

About eight years ago I bought a sheet of sterling silver 1/8" thick x 8 " wide x 3 feet long to make conchos from.

The horn cap on this tree is five inches in diameter. I am going to make an engraved concho large enough to mount on the horn cap fastened with solid head brass tacks of the period.

By the way...with the price of silver going up...that purchase eight years ago was s good investment. Once i get the conchos made that I need from it...I'm gonna melt the rest down into ingots.

Hope (no pun intended) to get together sometime in the near future and work on a film project.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

RollingThunder

Quote from: santee on March 13, 2009, 06:19:55 AM
Wow, that's impressive. Why is it called a "half seat"?

They call it a half seat because only half the seat is there. I know that sounds like a real wise-acre response, but it's true. Half seats were fairly easy to repair in that regard, because the rigging was exposed as were the stirrup leathers. Loop-seat saddles were ones where large squares were cut into the seats exposing the stirrup leathers so they could be inspected and worked on a little more easily, yet be more comfortable to ride, with no seat-pinch. Eventually, around 1910-1920, full seat saddles became deriguerre and Sam Stagg rigs like that one with half seats were considered antiquated, old, bygone relics of the previous century. 

Fortunately, though, many beautiful examples survive, and some new ones, like this one and the ones that David makes, are making a comeback.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

santee

I see. When you compare them to later saddle pictures, it makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com