Cast Aluminum guns

Started by outrider, March 12, 2009, 11:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outrider

Have any of you ever used a cast aluminum gun from Duncan's Gun SHop??  If so how do you like them?
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

ChuckBurrows

yes and they are very nice........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Dalton Masterson

I bought one off of Ebay, and have no idea who made it. It was for a Walker, and it was the size of a 51. Check sizes if you go the Ebay route.
I should look into the Duncans.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

randyc

Quote from: outrider on March 12, 2009, 11:30:10 AM
Have any of you ever used a cast aluminum gun from Duncan's Gun SHop??  If so how do you like them?

I've never used a Duncan mold myself. I've heard other holster makers talk about some quality control issues in the past concerning their finishing and possiibly not being true to size. They may end up being good molds. I only build holsters for modern weapons and have only used Rings Blue Guns or the actual weapon for holster building. I may have to try one of their molds and see how it works out.

Randy
Randy Cooley
Bulldog Custom Gun Leather
www.bulldogleathercompany.com

Slowhand Bob

They are fine for your needs when your specific version can be had.  They do not seem to carry a constant inventory.  They are a bit on the frosty side since they come 'as cast' with just the flashing removed but this will not affect holster making.  With that said, I thought they had closed.  Guess I am going to have to quit listening to rumors!   

Springfield Slim

I've bought 3 from them, as has been said they don't stock much at any one time. They are mostly a gun store and the casting  seems to be just a sideline. I prefer to use real guns but I can't buy one of everything. I try, but the wife keeps slowing me down!
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Dr. Bob

In my experience, wives are like that.  That's why I no longer have one!  :o ::) ::) ;D ;) ;D  Either one!! :o
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Skeeter Lewis

I use a replica Colt made by Dannix. The dimensions are accurate, except that they make the 7.5" barrel only 7".
I find them excellent for shaping holsters.

Dalton Masterson

I have thought about using some of the soft air guns, if I could prove they were the correct dimensions.

Walmart sells some for 20 bucks or so, that are darn close in size.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

outrider

I appraciate the feed back...like some of the others I can't afford to buy every type of gun I am asked to make holsters for.  I thought maybe the cast aluminum ones would be good enoguh to form fit a holster.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

Howdy Pards,

I finally ordered four (4) cast guns from Blueguns.  These "training aids" are molded to the exact dimensions of the real guns and will be a definate plus when casing a holster.  Unfortunately, the only cowboy guns are casts of a Uberti SAA in both 5.5 and 7.5 inch barrels.  I got the 5.5" SAA (which is actually black in color), the S&W 2" Chief Special, the Glock 19, and the S&W Sigma 9mm.  I will order more at a later time....after I see how these will work.  I will try to post some photos when I use one for casing.

Check out their site at  blueguns.com
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the link, Outrider. I'll check them out.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Forty Rod

Quote from: randyc on March 12, 2009, 06:02:32 PM
I've never used a Duncan mold myself. I've heard other holster makers talk about some quality control issues in the past concerning their finishing and possiibly not being true to size. They may end up being good molds. I only build holsters for modern weapons and have only used Rings Blue Guns or the actual weapon for holster building. I may have to try one of their molds and see how it works out.

Randy

But does Rings make anything for a gun I would actually own?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

I checked out this site, and couldn't find anything in period guns, maybe there is some other site that I'm not seeing, but most of these are modern weapons, here is the blueguns site below.

http://www.blueguns.com/

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

outrider

frily,

What we are discussing here is cast aluminum guns that are simply used for molding holsters.  They are solid and do not fire anything.

Actually what I ended up buying (now up to 8) are solid injection molded plastic guns.  By the way these blueguns are the exact size of the gun they represent...and work great for casing holsters.

TW
The bluegun site does not show many of their offerings.   If you ask for a price list from them you will see additional guns...the only cowboy styles they offer is a colt sized SAA in 5.5 and 7.5 inch barrels.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

It appears that the Blue Gun site is not for direct sales.  I have actually been wanting to find a few of the 1911 magazines to use for designing a mold for leather pouches, guess I need to call them.  They do offer a unique line of products but Cowboy just isn't much of a part of it! 

outrider

Slowhand,

You can buy direct from Bluegun...  when you call ask for John Ring.  Also, I don't believe they make magazines...best thing there is to get a few old mags or better yet make up some wooden dummies that you can use to shape mag pouches.

The reason they don't have many of the older single actions is that the whole idea for these guns is to supply training aids to the police and military...mostly weapons (including pipe wrenches) that could be used against a P.O. in an altercation.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com