For Dalton, One of your Rigs

Started by JD Alan, March 11, 2009, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Hey there Mr. Dalton Masterson, I have a question for you.

I have a picture of a rig that I think is yours, based on the background photography. The problem is I can't find it again anywhere on this forum. I downloaded the picture and printed it, as I have a number of holsters and belts, for inspiration. I've downloaded so many pictures I don't klnow that I could find it again on my computer.

The picture I'm talking about is of two Slim Jim type holsters. One has a revovler in it, the other is empty. They are laying on a pile of firewood, looks like oak. The gun has a smooth wooden handle, with what looks like a brass grip frame. The holsters are carved with an older flower pattern. They are a medium reddish brown, and flat outstanding.

Does this sound like one of your rigs? If so I would like to obtain the pattern from you, or perhpas you could point me in the right direction to find it.

Thanks my friend, JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dalton Masterson

Is it this one?
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,24444.0.html

That is Will Ghormleys 49er pattern, and the alternate tooling pattern that is in his pattern set.
Hope thats the one!

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

God bless you Sir! That's the one. I found a similiar picture of your work on the Frank James Floral Stamp thread, so I knew for sure (by the background) that it was yours.

I went through all 226 pages of the "Show yer Stuff" thread last night looking for it, and got another reminder of how many really good holster makers there are on this forum.

I'm hoping it will fit, or can be modified to fit my NM Vaquero 5 1/2 inch. I want to make something more traditional looking, and really liked the look of your holster. That's why I printed a picture of it, but I should have labeled it to boot. 

Can you tell me how you came by that color-finish?

Thanks very much, JD

Dalton Masterson

JD, there is a pattern in that pack for the Vaquero you speak of. Its a good pack to have, and can be adapted to make others as well. In fact, the NMV should fit in the ones in the photo. They are for a 5 1/2" Colt.

The color is what my walnut dye makes it. That is 5 days of soaking, a little olive oil, topped with Skidmores.
My walnut dye isnt the greatest, as the last holsters I made with it, came out very light colored, even after some sun. These come a nice reddish color.
I think if you are making gear with the walnut, it would be good to dye it all at one time, and together.

DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Thanks again Dalton. As it turns out, I have that holster pack of Will's. I bought everything that Tandy had, and looked through them at one time. I realized after buying them I didn't have the skill level to tackle any of them, but hoped that it would come.

I thougth those were the longest ones, so I copied the long ones to start practicie carving. No big deal to switch to the shorter ones. So now i'm ready to give it a shot. Thanks for your help and inspiration, JD

Dalton Masterson

JD, have you made these yet??
I thnk your skills are up to it now, after seeing some of your recent stuff!
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

EE Taft

Hey buddy, If'n ya got the pattern then by all means rock on with it.  That's the best way to learn and I don't think you'd be ashamed of the outcome in the end.

By all means, let 'er rip! ;)

~EE Taft~
Hell fire, I done mosey'd inta tha red light district!
SASS#87087

The grass ain't no greener on tha other side....I done been over there and looked.

http://www.cascity.com/posse/cgi/pm.cgi?action=display&login=EE_Taft&session=RUVfVGFmdHw5MTQ5MzEzMTR8MTI2NTM2NTgxNQ

GunClick Rick

Nice colorin Dalton..I think that is my favorite color on leather..
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

Not yet Dalton, but they are on my "List". Just where on the list is hard to say, because it fluctuates, due to people asking for things leather related.

At this point in my shooting, a holster with a skirt seems to work better for me that one without. I seem to need that backing to stabilize the guns; otherwise they tend to roll around. It's probably a combo of the way I made them and my build. 

Two years ago I started out with a strong side right, cross draw left, then switched over to a double strong side after getting dinged so many times by supposedly sweeping the timer operator. I'm thinking of changing back to a cross draw set up for a while to see how it goes.

I dropped an empty revolver on the last stage of the last match I shot, the first time I've done that. I had moved my left holster to keep it from rolling around, and forgot to move it back. I didn't even know I had missed the holster, the RO had to point it out to me. It was my best stage of the match too! It bumped me from 10 out of 26 to dead last. I'm sorry to say that at 60 years old I'm still too stinkin competitive! It's a game Jeff! Have fun Jeff!          

Dalton Masterson

Aah. Never dropped one yet, but have completely loused up stages before. Enough to take me from placing in a Regional to darn near last.
Nothing wrong with being competitive either. If you are competitive, you are striving to be better than you were before. Just dont let that dominate every other asset that you have.

Looking forward to seeing them when you do get them done!
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Kid Terico

DM Great looking pair of holsters you got there . KT

MontanaSlick

Nice rig Dalton.

TD, I've been trying to get that last place on the bottom for years now, but dropping is a tuff one.

Also a Timber Brown Eco-flo would look nice on yer holsters, I like Daltons, he uses the same pattern as I do, just gotta get em done here one day.

Nice tooling Mr. Dalton

MS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com