45/60 specs

Started by curdog, March 10, 2009, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curdog

I know it has been posted befor but I can't locate. I computer dumb! Any ways, what is the minnimum trim length for the 45/60? Also what is the rim thickness soposed to be? Thanks.

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: curdog on March 10, 2009, 09:32:41 AM
I know it has been posted befor but I can't locate. I computer dumb! Any ways, what is the minnimum trim length for the 45/60? Also what is the rim thickness soposed to be? Thanks.

The published maximum or optimum case length is 1.89.  One can go a bit shorter, depending on the bullet you are using.

I have an original REM UMC example that measures 0.062 rim thickness.  Rim thickness varies depending on the make of the brass you are using.  My Uberti works well with shortened 45-70 brass, which runs a bit thicker than the original.  If your rifle won't close on shortened 45-70, then you will have to thin down the rims, or go with brass from Jamison or some other maker.

Hope that helps get you started. ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

curdog

Thanks Griz, I have some 45/70 and have started trimming them down. I planned on going to the gun shop and do some gun trading this week but didn't get a chance. I'm leaving town this weekend so I won't make it now until next week. Sure hope I make it then. They had a Taylor's 76 for $1170+tax. I think its a good price, at least in these parts. Had a chance to look it over about six weeks ago but didn't have the greenbacks. It sure is a good looking gun for the size that it is.

curdog

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: curdog on March 11, 2009, 07:10:22 PM
Thanks Griz, I have some 45/70 and have started trimming them down. I planned on going to the gun shop and do some gun trading this week but didn't get a chance. I'm leaving town this weekend so I won't make it now until next week. Sure hope I make it then. They had a Taylor's 76 for $1170+tax. I think its a good price, at least in these parts. Had a chance to look it over about six weeks ago but didn't have the greenbacks. It sure is a good looking gun for the size that it is.

curdog

That's a good price anywhere!  Good luck! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com