Filler at back edge of Holster?

Started by Johnny Dingus, March 08, 2009, 02:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Dingus

While I was shooting yesterday I showed a fellow leathercraftsman my holsters I had recently done.  Well he showed me his and suggested I put a filler in at the back edge of mine.  He also suggested I use wax when burnishing my edges.  I know I have a way to go on burnishing and was wondering how much this helps also?

Was wondering how many of you do it that way?

Is it just preference or modern holsters?

Wills paterns don't have one in them so I am wondering if it would make much difference?

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

RollingThunder

Can't answer you as far as the filler is concerned, however burnishing keeps the edge fibers from "fraying" out, and also allows things to slide where they need to slide because the edge has been slicked. I also sometimes seal my edges with EdgeKote. Although not period correct for some things, it does help with the durability. Depends on your need.

That's just my .02 though.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johny

The filler is called a welt, and is common with low cut fast draw holsters, it helps to keep the trigger guard from flipping outward, the welt is usually the thickness of your trigger guard, at the top of the bucket , then tappers down about 2" or so.
         When burnishing, I always burnish with bees wax, as my last step in burnishing. I use Edge Kote, on dyed leather, and Gum Treaecanth  on a natural finish, but burnish with bees wax on both dyed and not dyed.

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

I usually don't put a welt in a holster if it's going to be a historical one. I have put them in more modern holsters, though. I burnish with water. I have put beeswax on but not always.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

panhead pete

Weeellll, Here's what I do.

I have used fillers only on knife sheaths and shotgun slides.  Like Ten Wolves mentioned, that is more of a Hollywood/fast draw invention.  I dye the edge if I want the color darker.  I use gum tragacanth for slicking.  I bought several hard wood "pen blanks" from Woodcrafters which I fashioned into different slickers for different purposes.  I have also used edge coat over bees wax, but only on more modern pieces.  Johnny, if you don't own "Packing Iron" yet, put that book on the top of your list.  You will see the origin of holsters and rifle scabbards from the early military versions up to the Hollywood style.  A great reference book for anyone interested in holster making.  Shoot, it is a great book for anyone who is interested in the Old West!!

Kind regards,

Panhead Pete   

Dr. Bob

My kind of book!!   Lots & lots of purty pictures!! ;D ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Freedom

When you say "Back Edge" I am led to believe that you are talking about a "sight welt"???...A small thick piece of leather sewn to the back edge of the inside of the holster to keep the rear sight from touching the holster...thus protecting the holster and sight.....Only nessessary on adjustable sights as they tend to stick up, be more fragile and be sharper.

I use bees wax and a little piece of deer horn in my dremel for burnishing edges....works great!
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

JD Alan

Well Johnny, I'm no expert (insert huge laugh here!) but I used them for the holster set I just made. Actually, I used two on each one. The second was skived down after about 3 inches. It makes a nice platform for the trigger guard.

I have great respect for the "Period Correct" guys, but 95% of the guys in our club use holsteres developed for CAS. Several have "Lead Dispenser" holsters that are really cut down, with welts, and they're metal lined.

We have a lot of Ted Blocker rigs here, because it's a local company, and he does great work.  

Just my one cent (I don't know enough for 2 cents!) JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Slowhand Bob

Not sure there is a hunnert percent correct term here but I also refer to this as a filler in the main seam.  It seems most popular for holsters with the trigger guard open and, as mentioned by others, actually serves as a shelf for the trigger guard.  Lots of good leathercrafters do actually use the filler on most all their holsters, including the old style Slim Jims and various Mexican Loops while claiming several advantages?????  I would not put my money into your friends opinion as being the definitive one and suggest that some leathercraftsmen, like many artists, just tend to feel that their way is the only correct way.  Select the method that most closely accomplishes your vision and perfect that as the best for you.  If you do decide on fillers be sure that you understand its relationship to the fit of the gun.  A filler will open the holster up a bit, especially in that area where the bottom frame of the revolver is wedged in, and make for a looser fit.  Some might call this a no-no but I have found it to work quite well for me, use the filler to vary the pattern.  I find that I can use one pattern for competition style holsters and adjust its fit between Colt size and the Old Model Ruger Vaquero size just by varying the width of the filler.  One pattern fits all!!!  Like you, I do not use fillers in old style holsters.

I have seen individuals use wax blends, gum trag and even white glue for edge dressings and can honestly say that I think it depends more on the attention an individual gives to the initial preparation and the final buff than the medium used.   

Johnny Dingus

Thanks for all the replys.

I went back over my two sets of Dodge City holsters used a little wax and re-burnished the edges.  Then I checked the gun fit and looked them over good.  I think I've come to the conclusion for me I am not going to add a welt(filler).
My single layer Dodge City holds the pistols just fine and I am starting to like them more and more. 
I have them cut down a little and can get the pistol out quick enough.  Metal lining is not needed in my experience.

Thanks again all of you.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

JD Alan

Say there Slowhand, what a great response to the question! I for one really appreciate it. I didn't know until yesterday that some of the guys I shoot with use metal lined holsters. I couldn't tell by looking at them.

Since entering the world of leathercrafting in June of last year, I've taken to seriously examining every holster rig I can. I always ask before taking a hands on approach, and I've learned to wait until the holster is off the individual before trying to take a closer look ;D We do have a few NCOWS guys, and I love their gear, very classy.

Dalton connected me with this forum last October, and I can't begin to adequately express how much I appreciate all the help I've received here. I think I almost drove Marshall Will crazy with so many questions! He is one patient and gracious fellow.

So thanks for your input as well. JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Slowhand Bob

Thanks JD.  The metal is not what surprised me as much as when plastic became somewhat an indo-skeleton* for cowboy gun leather.  I am not so much a purist that I disagree with the use of these materials but generally feel that many/most of their advantages can be accomplished through the use of natural leather products or techniques.  Perhaps the real problem is making a product that is bullet proof enuff for the guy who can destroy a tank and then come back to blame the maker!

Antipaladin

I use several iterations on the edges. First just plain old spit and an old piece of denim. Then I use a piece of smooth Carnuba wax...hard as a rock and flattens/smooths nicely. Again with the denim. Then I use some white beeswax which really fills in the pores and burnish for about 15 minutes with the denim getting it nice and hot, really melting the wax into the leather. Followed by a "lignum vitae" wood burnishing stick for another 5. Finally some more Carnuba and a soft Tshirt to give it a nice glow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com