Paterson Conversion

Started by Henry4440, March 08, 2009, 02:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry4440

Anyone ever saw an Paterson Conversion?

;)

Thai Fighter

Only in picture form.  The book, "Colt® Single Action from Patersons to Peacemakers", page 169.  There's a picture of an example done for the author , Dennis Adler, by R. L. Millington.  Millington did two repros in all.  I hear that one of those copies is on display somewhere here in the state of Texas.  But I could be wrong.

The example above doesn't look like one of them as those had line carving on the grips.

Ottawa Creek Bill

I was going to do one for myself....but I can't find any history or proof that a Patterson conversion existed so I decided not to. One conversion that I do have just about finished (that also never existed) is a Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo in 22 LR & 22 MAG. This is going to be my trail gun.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Thai Fighter

Bill,

According to Adler's book, it did exist:

"For reasons unknown, sometime during the 1870s a gunsmith converted a Texas Paterson to fire metallic cartridges.  This singular example is on display in the Woolaroc Museum in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.  It is pictured in Philip R. Phillips and R. L. Wilson's book, Paterson Colt Pistol Variations."

There you go, convert away!

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Thai Fighter on March 08, 2009, 04:58:30 PM
Bill,

According to Adler's book, it did exist:

"For reasons unknown, sometime during the 1870s a gunsmith converted a Texas Paterson to fire metallic cartridges.  This singular example is on display in the Woolaroc Museum in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.  It is pictured in Philip R. Phillips and R. L. Wilson's book, Paterson Colt Pistol Variations."

There you go, convert away!

Yep....yer right, I may have to reconsider it now......sure like to see photos of it.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Thai Fighter

Bill,

It's a small pic, I'll see if I can scan and post/msg you.  If the mods have an issue with it I can take it down later. Give me a day or two...

Fox Creek Kid

The original is in the R.L. Wilson "big" Colt book and it was converted to .41 cal. I believe. Why on earth anyone would have converted a Paterson then is beyond me. Sort of like converting a Brown Bess flintlock to cartridge.  ::)

Thai Fighter

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on March 08, 2009, 11:28:01 PM
The original is in the R.L. Wilson "big" Colt book and it was converted to .41 cal. I believe. Why on earth anyone would have converted a Paterson then is beyond me. Sort of like converting a Brown Bess flintlock to cartridge.  ::)

FCK,

I just got done thumbing through each page on R. L. Wilson's book three times... I can't find it.

Fox Creek Kid

The Wilson "big book", not the "coffee table" one. The book costs about $400, however they have reissued a new printing for around $125.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Ecom/ProductDetail.aspx?Industry=1&id=284

Thai Fighter

Eghads!!!  <sigh>  Just more stuff to spend my already meager earnings on! :'(

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Thai Fighter on March 08, 2009, 10:46:19 PM
Bill,

It's a small pic, I'll see if I can scan and post/msg you.  If the mods have an issue with it I can take it down later. Give me a day or two...

Thai....
Thanks, sure would like to see it.

Brent....
I think its the novelty of having something that no one else does......plus, it would be a hoot to shoot.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com