Smokeless in open tops........

Started by Knarley Bob, March 04, 2009, 05:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knarley Bob

I been readin' on some other sites that some fellers been shootin light smokeless in their open tops :o
Are these guys out of their minds or an I just that nieve???
confused,
Knarley
Not on our watch

Pettifogger

Depends on what you mean by Open Top.  If you mean a percussion gun then it's nuts to shoot any kind of smokeless.  If you are talking factory Uberti cartridge conversions and 72 Open Tops that's what they are proofed for.   Uberti knows very few people will shoot black out of their guns.  They are perfectly safe with any SAAMI spec ammo.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Pettifogger on March 04, 2009, 05:55:18 PM
Depends on what you mean by Open Top.  If you mean a percussion gun then it's nuts to shoot any kind of smokeless.  If you are talking factory Uberti cartridge conversions and 72 Open Tops that's what they are proofed for.   Uberti knows very few people will shoot black out of their guns.  They are perfectly safe with any SAAMI spec ammo.

Not entirely true about percussion guns.  RandD as well as Kirst make their products that are proofed to shoot with smokeless out of percussion guns  as long as they are "cowboy" type loads. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Pettifogger

Quote from: Deadeye Don on March 04, 2009, 06:51:39 PM

Not entirely true about percussion guns.  RandD as well as Kirst make their products that are proofed to shoot with smokeless out of percussion guns  as long as they are "cowboy" type loads. 

If it has a conversion cylinder, it is no longer a percussion gun.  It is insane to put smokeless powder in a percussion cylinder.

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Knarley Bob on March 04, 2009, 05:33:59 PM
I been readin' on some other sites that some fellers been shootin light smokeless in their open tops :o
Are these guys out of their minds or an I just that nieve???
confused,
Knarley

I'll assume you meant the fabled "light detonation" handloads that so many claim to exist. Be it known that Hogdon has NEVER been able to obtain a light detonation "Kaboom" in a handgun under laboratory conditons. Handguns (proofed for smokeless) that go "Kaboom" are shot with double charges of smokeless or double bullets which compress the smokeless load sending the pressures into the stratosphere.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Pettifogger on March 04, 2009, 08:38:52 PM
If it has a conversion cylinder, it is no longer a percussion gun.  It is insane to put smokeless powder in a percussion cylinder.

Ok.  Agreed on that point.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Knarley Bob

So, what I was most likely reading was about conversions to cartrage. O.K. that makes a little more sense, sort a.
Why would anyone WANT to shoot smokeless in such a gun anyway?
The world has gone nuts.
Knarley ;D
Not on our watch

Pomona Pete

Is Trail Boss considered a smokeless?
Make sure to shoot low every few rounds just in case they're crawling.

Pomona Pete

I have six revolvers that have been converted to cartridge, 4 of them have used the original BP cylinders and I have been shooting TB in all six of mine for a long time and no problems at all.  Has someone split a cylinder in a cartridge gun with TB ?
Make sure to shoot low every few rounds just in case they're crawling.

Coffinmaker

No.  The difference is the cartridge and the smaller charge it holds as opposed to the charge a standard percussion cylinder will hold.  There is also a different pressure spike with BP and smokeless.

Again, Guns converted to cartridge, made with modern materials are fine with smokeless.  ALL of the current reproduction cartridge conversions and Open Tops are fine with smokeless.

An original, Cartridge Conversion, or Open Top should only be shot with BP.  Although shooting a fine antique is ....... questionable.

Coffinmaker

Knarley Bob

Quote from: Coffinmaker on March 06, 2009, 08:28:50 AM

Again, Guns converted to cartridge, made with modern materials are fine with smokeless.  ALL of the current reproduction cartridge conversions and Open Tops are fine with smokeless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
As long as they are converted to cartrage, right?
Knarley
Not on our watch

Coffinmaker

Yes.  Converted to cartridge.  NEVER charge a BP cylinder with smokeless.  NEVER.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com