Chaparral carrier

Started by Colonel Buckshot, March 03, 2009, 06:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Buckshot

I was cleaning my new Chaparral 1873 and noticed the carrier jammed if levered in the upside down position while cleaning the carrier.  Is this a common occurance with the Chaparral models including the 1876?
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: colonel buckshot on March 03, 2009, 06:33:37 PM
I was cleaning my new Chaparral 1873 and noticed the carrier jammed if levered in the upside down position while cleaning the carrier.  Is this a common occurance with the Chaparral models including the 1876?

Welcome to the wonderful world of CRAPPARAL ::)
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

kb466

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 03, 2009, 11:02:14 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of CRAPPARAL ::)
Why can't you answer his question without the vendetta-driven editorializing?  If you don't have facts on his carrier problem, please do not post these sarcastic, unsupported criticisms in response to his question. 

OKDEE

Hey Colonel Buckshot!  Does there seem to be the same problem when you lever the rifle in the upright position? 

In the case of a new rifle, there can be some extra material, such as metal shaving, that can cause this.   This maybe the case, may not be the case.

I noticed on my Chaparral 76, that once I had cleaned and reassembled it, and cycled it a number of times,  it became smoother.

Let us know!

Oklahoma Dee 

evodude

Chaparral's must be made to spec, my origional '76 does the same thing. ::)

ndnchf

Well, I just pulled out my Uberti '76 .50-95 and tried it upside down, sideways and various combinations.  It worked fine everyway I tried it. Could it be your Chappy just needs a little oil in the carrier channel?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: kb466 on March 05, 2009, 10:05:54 AM
Why can't you answer his question without the vendetta-driven editorializing?  If you don't have facts on his carrier problem, please do not post these sarcastic, unsupported criticisms in response to his question. 

Sarcastic yes.......for all the RIGHT reasons ;D
Unsupported? Do you work for Nick?

By the way Buckshot, I in no means or manner meant to attack you!
As a smith I have seen a myriad of "quality control" problems and they have no support network at all. If you have a Borders or some other big chain bookstore close, pick up a copy of Dave Chiciones (sic) book Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West. It is very comprehensive on the 1873.

The tension on the carrier is somewhat adjustable. One of the small screws on either side at the bottom of the carrier will provide more tension.
STORM #400

kb466

Hoof Hearted-
I probably owe you an apology as I no doubt over-reacted to your first post.   It seems Buckshot was asking for some help-- he probably wasn't looking to have his newly purchased rifle run down.  At least that is how I saw it.  I thought your second post here was excellent advice and I am sure Buckshot appreciated it.  I know I did. 

And no, I don't work for Nick.  In fact, it is my understanding that Charter is no longer handling Chaparral Arms and that they are no longer being imported into the US. 

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 05, 2009, 10:06:57 PM
Sarcastic yes.......for all the RIGHT reasons ;D
Unsupported? Do you work for Nick?

Colonel Buckshot

It only does it upside down.  I took the side plates off and found no machining shavings inside.  The internal parts are greased though. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

john boy

OK, Colonel ... let's do some mental deduction:
The parts:
*  Carrier Block
*  Carrier Lifter Arm
*  Carrier Lifter Spring (2, plus screws)
The Block is in a cut in the receiver and you say no burrs. 
So, the problem parts could be: The Lifter Arm - Lifter Springs, but the Block rises with the rifle in the normal position.
Now, with the rifle upside down,
So, I would do 3 things:
1.  Knock the side plates off again, turn the rifle over and watch the Lifter and Springs to determine if anything is hanging up
2.  Check the Springs to determine if they are properly positioned and the screws are tight.
3.  With the plates off, raise and lower the carrier in the upside down and normal positions ... watching the lifter and the springs working the Block up and down.
4.  I'm gonna guess that the Block 'jams' when it touches the follower in the magazine.  Take the magazine cap off - remove the spring and the follower.  Clean the spring - follower and magazine tube.  Do not oil anything.  Reinstall.
Now do step #3 again.  If the Block continues to jam - I don't have an answer because it shouldn't.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

evodude

After deliberating this problem extensively for 48 hours, Ive arrived at a solution to your problem. Are you ready? Here it is. DONT shoot upside down while riding yer horse!! ;)

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: kb466 on March 05, 2009, 11:56:47 PM
Hoof Hearted-
I probably owe you an apology as I no doubt over-reacted to your first post.   It seems Buckshot was asking for some help-- he probably wasn't looking to have his newly purchased rifle run down.  At least that is how I saw it.  I thought your second post here was excellent advice and I am sure Buckshot appreciated it.  I know I did. 

And no, I don't work for Nick.  In fact, it is my understanding that Charter is no longer handling Chaparral Arms and that they are no longer being imported into the US. 

Thank You and good on ya ;D

HH
STORM #400

Colonel Buckshot

Its catching on the bottom of the bolt.  When the angle of the barrel goes above 45degrees the carrier comes up too far by about a 1/16th of an inch.  Enough to cover the bottom lip of the bolt. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: colonel buckshot on March 11, 2009, 04:18:19 PM
Its catching on the bottom of the bolt.  When the angle of the barrel goes above 45degrees the carrier comes up too far by about a 1/16th of an inch.  Enough to cover the bottom lip of the bolt. 

I think we need more information!  Trouble shooting these things without the rifle in hand is a crap shoot, but from what you describe, I would say you have an improperly fitted carrier or carrier arm. ???  Does the rifle function normally when held level?  Or is this happening only when the rifle is upside down and the barrel above 45 degrees?  Does the bolt drag on the groove in the floor of the carrier?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Colonel Buckshot

pushing down on the carrier frees it up.  level its fine.  I gradually increased the angle as I levered it and at about 45 degrees is when it jammed.  The bottom lip of the bolt is cover by the carrier.  The slower you lever the action the higher you can go before it jams. 
I checked my uberti and I noticed on that carrier it has been ground a little at the end with a shallow angle to allow the bolt a wider enterance to the carrier. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

john boy

Colonel - scroll down to the parts on this link ... the breech pin complete ... http://www.leverguns.com/articles/1876.pdf
I believe you are talking about the bottom lip on bolt that is hanging up the carrier.  If you plan do do any filing - be very careful.  The lip is what puts pressure against the bottom of the rim during extraction.  Too much and the spent case won't be held and extracted out of the receiver

If it was me, option #1 would be to call Charter Arms and have them do the repair on your rifle.  They are the US service location for Chaparrals
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com