Want nice case colors, cheap, on your Italian revolver ?

Started by Marshal Deadwood, February 27, 2009, 03:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Deadwood

This works. Wonderfully even.

Just degrease the frame really well, and perma-blue over the existing case colors. It adds a deeper 'color', and for me, it brought out a LOT MORE case colors. My idea is that the chemical treatment Uberti applys to make their case colors, leaves some invisible 'case color imprints' in the steel, and the cold blue just brings it out. Apply several coats till you get the desired 'richness.' Took me about 20 minutes of apply and rubbing back with a course cloth and reapplying. My digital camera is dead, or I'd show you some case colors that rival Turnbull...maybe not as durable, but you can 'enhance' a Uberit ANYTIME,,,,,for practically NOTHING. I now have a Model P that looks like it has had bone case applied by the best.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

MD

Fox Creek Kid

Capt. Willard

I'll have to try that on one of my junkers. Sounds great from your description!
Lord knows the recent uberti's need it in the worst way..they look so cheap and bleached out the last few years. Hell they are hardly even gray nowadays much less case colored!

Marshal Deadwood

Guys, It might be tommorrow before I can do this. My digital is out of order and I'll have to borrow one, but I will post a couple. It surprised the stuffin' outta me...I did it on the first one,,a Uberti SAA I was aging..and liked it so well, I did it on another Model P that I doubt I do 'age.'

I'll be showing ya'll maybe tommorrow.

MD

Leo Tanner

Looking forward ta that, my camera took a dirt nap recently too.  How does this treatment work on the cylinder (as in drag lines)?
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Marshal Deadwood

Leo,  on the one I 'antiqued',,I did several steps to the barrel and cylinder, so it wasn't applying cold blue only to these areas..although, cold blue does touch up things like 'cylinder ringing', scratches, holster wear,,pretty good...not always a great match, but ususally not so bad. Normally , I like the holster wear, muzzle wear , etc. My revolvers are tuned right off the bat, so drag marks are pretty much a non-issue.

On the other Model P, that I didn't age, I keep the cold blue to the frame only, as there were no marks to 'fix' in the blue..it's basically a pretty new revolver.

Degreasing is the key. And, enough appalacations. I've only used Birchwood Casey, but there is at least one other brand, and my gunsmith pard likes it best.

I said this was 'brilliant case color look',,,let me back up a bit,,,it is GOOD case color look,,not 'quite' as  contrasting as the real thing,,but a heck of a lot better than 'Italian As Is'..

....I did have to apply about 4 coats,,and I rub it with a degreased alochol dampened piece of course hemp and use the same hemp to move the cold blue as it dries. Heck, there might be an even better way of doing it,,all I know is this made the frame on both revolvers look a HEAP more lilke the old 'Colt case' ....

MD

Leo Tanner

Thanks.  I tune mine too, but my current project was birthed in 1967 and came with plenny of marks.  It's a good shooter so I haven't invested in a new cylinder, though I'd like to have one with the safety stops batween the chambers.  Just wanna clean it up and make it proud.  The front sight could use a little attention too.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com