Got a new uberti paterson

Started by will52100, February 25, 2009, 12:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will52100

Finaly got my hands on a Uberti Patterson, with loading leaver.  It was pretty much NIB, unfired, with only light marks on the cylinder from being turned.

Anything special I need to know about this beuty before firing?  It breaks clean, but could use a little action work.  Not bad, just not quite as smooth as I like.

It's got some of the most beutiful case harding I've ever seen, great fit and finish.  I'm amazed at the case colors for a Uberti, if I didn't know better I'd say they were real bone hardened.  Can't wait to get the free time to try it out.

Thanks
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

EdsPlace

Say what!  You mean Uberti's case colors aren't real!  I kinda had my suspicions when I discovered they come off with cat urine, but what do I know!  ;D

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: EdsPlace on February 25, 2009, 11:34:34 AM
Say what!  You mean Uberti's case colors aren't real!  I kinda had my suspicions when I discovered they come off with cat urine, but what do I know!  ;D

I use ballistol ;)
What are the benefits of cleaning a Black Powder revolver with CAT URINE ::)?

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 25, 2009, 11:43:55 AM
I use ballistol ;)
What are the benefits of cleaning a Black Powder revolver with CAT URINE ::)?

HH

It keeps mice away.  ;D ;)

will52100

Don't know about cat p, but moose milk is great.  My main concern is getting it back together after I tear it down to slick up  the internals a bit.  It's a might more complicated than an army or navy colt.  Got to wonder what old Sam was putting in his coffie when he came up with the patterson!

Paladin UK

Fer will52100....

Ya say yer Pattersons, gotta loading lever!! :o

Ya Gotta POST SOME PICCIES!!!

Paladin (What Lurvs opentops :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Deadeye Don

Since they arent making Patersons anymore, I would hold on to that gun.   Mine has the loading lever also and it is quite a beautiful gun with fine wood grips.  I havent shot it, and probably wont.  For now it is a safe queen.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Leo Tanner

I look at the Pat as an experimental piece.  Men carried it an reported in an along came the Walker.  It was instrumental in the evolution, but made to shoot only when neccesary (rarely).  This is just my opinion acourse.  If Uberti has one that will take CAS shooting, they have done a good thing.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Fingers McGee

Here's my new one PUK.  Got it a couple weeks ago, unfired, NIB mfg 1996.  It'll probably stay unfired too.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

will52100

I took a couple pics, but they can't beat Fingers'.  Basicly same gun, maybe a little nicer wood, maybe not, hard to tell in photo.

One potential problem is that the cylinder is slightly out of alignment with the bore, cylincer bolt needs to be moved over a hair or it could spit lead.  This will not be a safe queen, or I should say that it'll be my version of a safe queen, meaning it will be fired, though not nearly as much as say my navies or armies, or even the walkers.  I do have anouther patterson, a pietta without the loading leaver and the quality differance isn't even close.

I get it slicked up I'll be interested in what it can do from a rest.

Anybody got disasembly instructions on this model?

Fingers McGee

Quote from: will52100 on February 25, 2009, 09:08:31 PM
One potential problem is that the cylinder is slightly out of alignment with the bore, cylincer bolt needs to be moved over a hair or it could spit lead.  This will not be a safe queen, or I should say that it'll be my version of a safe queen, meaning it will be fired, though not nearly as much as say my navies or armies, or even the walkers.  I do have anouther patterson, a pietta without the loading leaver and the quality differance isn't even close.

I get it slicked up I'll be interested in what it can do from a rest.

Anybody got disasembly instructions on this model?

Will,  I've got a Pietta model w/o the lever that was made in 1983.  Your're absolutely right about the quality difference. 
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

HorsePen Henry

Here are a couple of mine:

The one without the loading lever is the 1836 and the one with the loading lever is the 1839 or 1841. Depending on who yer talking to at the moment.

Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

will52100

Nice set-up HorsePen, love the bowie too.

Are they both Uberti's or Pietta's?

Does Tresso make nipples for the pattersons?

Flint

I've got assy and dis-assy instructions somewhere in my collection, I'll email if you need them.  The revolver is a BITCH to reassemble, as there are intertwining internal parts that need to be held in place by your 6th and 7th fingers.

They are difficult to smooth up due to the way the parts interact.  Getting the cylinder star rachet out requires drifting out a cross pin, the rachet is separate from the cylinder, remains with the frame when you remove the cylinder.

Look at VTI gunpart's exploded view to see the many internal parts.  And note that the even frame itself is more than one piece.

Mine tends to cylinder overtravel, and tweaking springs hasn't solved the problem yet.

But they are worth many style points......
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

will52100

I'd apreciate it Flint if you've got them on file.  I did manage to take down my Pietta patterson, and your rite, it's a PITA, I've only attempted it once, but if they could build it, I think I could eventualy figure it out, maybe!  The Patterson over rotates all the time, the Uberti I just got is spot on for timing.  All it realy needs is the cylinder indexed a slight bit more and the main spring lightened a bit and some of the roughness taken out.

Fingers McGee

Hey Flint.  I could use a copy of the destructions too.  Mine didn't come with any either.

Fingers

Flint

Sent an email to Fingers and Will.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Fingers McGee

Thanks Flint - got it. 

Ya know, I had completely forgotten that I had that book.

FM

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: will52100 on February 26, 2009, 11:46:38 PM
Nice set-up HorsePen, love the bowie too.

Are they both Uberti's or Pietta's?

Does Tresso make nipples for the pattersons?

Hi Will,
They are both Uberti Patersons and they both have the original nipples. I use Standard #10 caps with no problems. I don't know about the replacements from Treso for the paterson revolver. Thanks for the kind words on the Bowie. A friend made it for me that makes knives and tomahawks. He is a good smith.
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Jed Cooper

Hi fella's. I don't chime in often, however shooting our toys is half the fun of having them. I usually have trouble deciding what to take to the range or a match, because I want to shoot them all. I would prob. shoot much better if I would stick to the same guns all the time. What fun would it be to have the others without playing with, (AND I MUST ADMIT SHOWNG THEM OFF). I think Deadeye will testify in my behalf that I will shoot anything that is safe to fire, as I show up with every thing from antiques to custom colts. They were made to shoot as well as look at.  Enjoy them guys.    Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com