Swivel knife

Started by Angel_Eyes, February 22, 2009, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel_Eyes

I thought if I waited long enough, someone would post a picture of a swivel knife, and I wouldn't have to ask what one is.
As you can see, no-one has had the grace or foresight to read my mind and stop me making a fool of myself.
What is a swivel knife?
There, done it, pictures please, I can't stand it any longer! My imagination has run out of ideas!

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Ace Lungger

A.E.,
I am not the best to be explaining , a swivel knife, but it is used when carving leather! They make several brands and I just went to tandy and down loaded the first one that came up, I have one, just like this one.
Hope this helps
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

HorsePen Henry

Yep...by golly that's a swivel knife. It's called a swivel knife 'cause it swivels. You can make curved cuts without turning anything but the knife. Pretty handy little item to have if yer gonna carve floral patterns on leather items. ;)
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Howdy
Check about page 6 of the forum, there is a thread all about swivel knives with pics.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Angel_Eyes

Thanks for the info, pards!
Now all I got to do is work out how it's used.
I guess the best way is to find some-one over here who has one and get them to explain it.

Dhurrr, this is making my brain ache!!

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

cowboywc

Howdy AE
Here is a link to a short video I did on how to use a swivel knife.
It is on my stores My Space.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=52970751
WC

cowboy316

WC
very helpfull video  thank you for having that
one question i do have for you is whats the purpose of the hollow ground blades?
   Cowboy316

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy WC

Nice Video Pard, well done and easy to follow, this should be put in the FAQ/ HOW- TO Section, You did good on the bull too, that sucker would have dumped me a nano second after I mounted it. ( LOL ) ;D ;D ;D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboywc

Quote from: cowboy316 on February 24, 2009, 03:52:31 PM
WC
very helpfull video  thank you for having that
one question i do have for you is whats the purpose of the hollow ground blades?
   Cowboy316

Howdy
They look pretty and they are a pain for the blade makers to make.
They serve on purpose.
WC

cowboy316

awwww ok thanks WC i thought there was a special reason they hollow ground them
Thanks
   Cowboy316

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: cowboy316 on February 24, 2009, 06:09:12 PM
awwww ok thanks WC i thought there was a special reason they hollow ground them
Thanks
   Cowboy316

hOWDY Cowboy 316

When it comes to hollow ground knives, at least in my world of meat cutting, a hollow ground knife will produce a sharper edge, but will also be more fragile, the idea is by hollow grinding a knife blade the blade will cut through meat/ fat much easier, and I can tell you it works, you have less drag on the blade because there is less metal in the way after passing through what you're cutting, so I'm sure it works with the same principles for leather, LESS DRAG/ SMOOTHER CUT. And like WC said they are harder to grind and produce, just think of a V, as being a reg. knife blade edge, a hollow ground blade think of the V but the top of the V being a lot closer together, making a lot narrower blade. Doing a hollow ground knife takes talent, if not done just right it wont work worth a hoot, and even when done right, you have to be more careful with the edge of a hollow ground blade, they are easier to chip and turn over, they need to be stropped  and handled with care, if you do this the edge will last a long time. Here is a link that might help with the different types of blades, http://www.leatherworker.net/introcarving.htm I hope this gives you a better idea of what a hollow ground knife blade is. ??? :-X :-\ :o ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on February 24, 2009, 05:21:44 PMthis should be put in the FAQ/ HOW- TO Section
I agree. This is a good thread. It's done. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

Great video WC! Thank you.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

cowboywc

Howdy TW
You are 100% right on a knife. Swivel knife blades are a bit different.
Most of the time you are never even cutting with the narrow part of the blade except on long streight
lines. Most of the time you are using no more than a 1/3 of the blade.
In the words of Master tool maker Bob Beard "They Just Look Pretty and are  a Pain to Make"
WC

Angel_Eyes

WC, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!

I believe I can always rely on someone on these forums to come up with the goods!!

Your video was absolutely spot on, just like my Army instructors used to say " explanation with demonstration"--PERFECT!!

AE.

JD Alan

Hey WC, great video on the swivel knife. I enjoyed the bull riding too, and I recognized you from other pictures I've seen. I didn't realize who you were, 'cause the avatar on this forum doesn't really ID you. Now I appreciate your work even more, knowing other things you've done. God bless you, and thanks for all the help you offer here, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Skeeter Lewis

I've just got myself a ceramic double line blade. If I want to make cuts an inch or so in from the holster seam, is there a tool I can set it in? Skeet

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hi Skeet

You can mark a line with your wing divider to the distance you want away from the seem line, then take your single blade swivel knife and cut a line at this mark, then use your beader blade and set part of the blade in the cut you just made, and use it as your guide, then carefully make your cut. Make sure you have worked over your blades on this ceramic blade, they aren't sharp enough when you first get them, and need a little work before using, if you feel any dragging or noise you need to polish the blade some more, test on scrap until right.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Ace Lungger

Howdy Skeeter,  :)
Tandy sells a swivel knife alinment guide, i have one, but never have used it, but i plan on trying it :o
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Skeeter Lewis

I've just looked in the Tandy catalog. There's what they call a 'Border Tool'. #3204. Is that it? Skeet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com