chopped off 4"

Started by Dirty Brass, February 13, 2009, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Brass

Yup - finally decided to do it and it's done. Took my 28" 45/75 to the chopping block, lopped off 4", recrowned and remilled the slots and have her all back together. Took about 4 hours start to finish taking it very very slow. Turned out pretty nice - even got the under-barrel slot for the cartridge tube cut like the factory so the tube carrier rotates in nice and snug. Only damage done was to my right index finger - managed to slam it pretty hard with a block of metal, andit's nice and black&blue under the nail now. Bet that's gonna hurt tomorrow!  ;D

Here what she looks like now....before top left - after bottom....

ndnchf

Nice job!  Looks right comfortable to carry too  :)
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Dirty Brass

Thanks - I am very happy with how it turned out. I used my 22" 45/60 during our deer hunt season (with no shots unfortunately), and it was much more comfortable to carry than the 28" 45/70, so I decided to shorten it, even though I liked the nostalgic look of the longer barrel. For target shooting it was fine, but for carry it was just too heavy and too long. I'll be more apt to use it next year for hunting now, and it fits in a gun case a lot easier!  ;D I'm curious to see how accuracy was effected, and check my crowning job..... should be OK, but still curious.  :)

Grizzly Adams

Nice job!

My Uberti 45-60  has the 22 inch barrel, and It is much more pleasant to pack around - unless you have a horse! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Dirty Brass

Quote from: Grizzly Adams on February 14, 2009, 01:06:35 PM

My Uberti 45-60  has the 22 inch barrel, and It is much more pleasant to pack around - unless you have a horse! ;D

Absolutely right. I had no problem carrying the 22" model. The reason I went to 24" on the 45/75 was so I could easily differentiate between the two. That, and I thought the extra 2" might be better for the 15 gr. increase in powder of the 45/75. After seeing the fire come out of my trapdoor 45/70's, I figure 75 gr. BP out of a 24" barrel ought to leave quite a bit of unburned/extra powder flame out the muzzle (though normally I shoot Pyrodex or 5744 in the 45/75). 

McNasty

Nice job,care to give the details. I've been thinking about doing the same thing to mine. ;D

Dirty Brass

Quote from: McNasty on February 14, 2009, 05:02:45 PM
Nice job,care to give the details. I've been thinking about doing the same thing to mine. ;D

Well, this is kind of how it went. I started by disassembling the gun, i.e. stock, cartridge tube, forearm, etc. Measured and cut off the barrel to 24", then face sanded it square, slowly, generating little heat. I have a lathe capable woodworking shopsmith, so I lined up the bore axis and countersunk the crown in after reaming edges smooth, and then hand sanded surfaces. Cutting the front sight slot was easy with my small table - top mill, and then I had filed the dovetails since I don't have a cutter for that. This can all be done by hand and files if done carefully and slowly.

After that I measured the amount of barrel I cut off and laid out the distance of the under lug slot inside dimensions, and cut that slot with the end mill too. Again, filing can be used – just go slow and measure often. Once the inside slot dimensions were achieved, I once again filed the dovetail portions to outside dimensions of lug, but only to the edges, and not center distance. After that I used a dremel tool and an abrasive cut off wheel, holding it perpendicular to the slot in the barrel, and slowly cut the rounded portion into the dovetail. I stress again, I took my time and went slowly, measuring often until the fit was right. Angling the dremel made it possible to get the correct angle for the dovetail cut forward and back in the slot. Be sure it is centered, or the lug will be off center when inserted. Mine is off about 1/32 of an inch now, but not noticeable and tube lined up fine with everything when I re-assembled everything. When It was close enough, I worked by hand, again using small machinist files (which I inherited years ago from my wife's grandfather), and slowly worked the lug into the slot, fitting it ever so slowly, until it was just too snug to turn in by hand. Then I used a leverage block made of wood to fit the lug, and turned it into the slot. It fit perfect and very snug. You probably noticed I have a roll pin in the lug – I needed to do that as the original setup let my tube slide forward under recoil, and after a few shots I had to push it back into the receiver when shooting. It's a slightly oversized pin, and holds snug now.

After that it was just a matter of measuring the same distance on the breech end of the cartridge tube and cutting that off, facing it square, and smoothing the edges and end. If done carefully all the parts lined up and the pin hole was exact – no need to re-drill a new slot in the tube, but I guess if you mess that part up a small file would easily put a new slot there for you. Re-blued with cold blue on all the new cuts, dovetails, and crown, oiled, and that was it. Hope this helps. It was not hard, and I wouldn't be afraid to try it with just hand tools, but having my mill and lathe helped a lot.

Now I have to get in there and smooth out my trigger and sear. Trigger pull is way to heavy right now on both guns, but this 45/75 is worse than the 45/60 for some reason........ here are some pics of the finished product. Last one is just my engraved side plate – I like to show that every chance I get! J

McNasty

Thanks very much. I have access to a mill and lathe so that part shouldn't be a problem. Have already worked the 15# >:( trigger, now about 5.

Again thanks for th how to. ;D

Dirty Brass

You are most welcome McNasty - I'm far from an expert on doing this stuff, so please keep that in mind if/when you consider following my agenda. I'm always happy when it turns out as well as this one did!  :) Good luck with yours...

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pard
That 24 inch barrel will make it Hunter friendly this fall . I have a 24 inch Cimarron an love it . I have just finished a review for the Shootist and it shot as good as it looks . Congratulations on your 45-75 it looks like you did a great job .  By the way I called Cody and talked to the people at the museum . There were 750 24 inch 1876 made .

Dirty Brass

Thanks Rowdy - I'd be interested in reading your review. I'm looking forward to hunting this now - last year I carried the 22" 45/60 for a couple of days, but never had an opportunity to shoot (deer were scarce last year!) That one carried very nicely - thus my decision to cut this one down. I tore down the trigger and sear and polished them a little - cleaned up the sharp edges. That helped immensely - trigger now is quite acceptable. I don't have a gauge, but I'd guess I cut it at least in half from what it was.
As I mentioned, my main concern now is accuracy - I'll get to check that out next month weather permitting. guess I better get back to reloading some shells!  ;D

Joe Lansing

Look at my half magazine modification under "Shortening a 76 Rifle".

J.L.

dusty texian

A pic. of my 1876 Buggy Rifle,19.5 barrel 40-60wcf,,,,,Dusty

King Medallion

That looks so cool. I want one.
King Medallion
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com