Texican

Started by mike highgate, February 09, 2009, 01:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike highgate

What's the news on the STI Texican? I know Gunblast has tested one, and liked it. Has anyone out there got their hands on one?

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: mike highgate on February 09, 2009, 01:37:47 PM
What's the news on the STI Texican? I know Gunblast has tested one, and liked it. Has anyone out there got their hands on one?

I am sure from a manufacterer's and engineer's perspective, they are near perfect Colt clones, but IMHO the US Firearms guns are better from the point of historical accuracy, hand fitting with attention to fine detail and don't have those bogus roll marks and horrible looking modern STI grips.  This is also a new venture for them and have to prove themselves on the marketplace where it counts.

Hedley Lamarr

I haven't seen many at CAS matches, but STI sells every single one they make, and they are running at max capacity making them.
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Virginia Gentleman

Rooger sells lots of their Vaqueros too barely keeping up with production, but then again that would be comparing apples to oranges when it comes to STI .  I'm sure they are great, but I personally don't like the way they look a bit too modern-like a Rooger.

Fox Creek Kid

STI doesn't "make" them. Larry Black, the fella who started Hartford Armory with the Rem. 1875 is making the gun for STI. We all remember his track record.  ::)

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on March 04, 2009, 01:57:31 AM
STI doesn't "make" them. Larry Black, the fella who started Hartford Armory with the Rem. 1875 is making the gun for STI. We all remember his track record.  ::)

OH.   I did not know that.  Well.........  ummmm...........good luck to them then.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Virginia Gentleman

That is very revealing....I did not know that!

Leo Tanner

Too expensive for what it is.  Nuff said.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: Leo Tanner on March 04, 2009, 03:32:22 PM
Too expensive for what it is.  Nuff said.

Just like Colt's SAA, too expensive for what you get.  USFA's are way cheaper now and made to very high quality standards, so if it were I, I'd go with a USFA and pocket the difference.  In a CAS match, it won't make a bit of difference to have a Texican with it's supposed superior metal machining methods over USFA, Colt or the imports.

Digger

Hi Y'all,

I have a Texican.  Bought it used off GunBroker.  I also have Colt, USFA, Uberti.  The Texican is without doubt the smoothest action out of the box you can buy.  I've given my USFA an action job and it's still not as nice as the Texican.  It's curious to me that STI puts such chintzy grips on such a nice gun.  So I replaced 'em.  The polish also does not match either the Colt or the USFA.  If you buy one I don't think you'll be disappointed, but dollar for dollar, it's USFA.

As it so happens, I posted a pic of my USFA/Texican pair this morning:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,25074.0.html

Thanks,
Digger

Blackpowder Burn

I've never felt a revolver with a smoother action than the USFA's sold by Long Hunter, and for just a few dollars more than the factory price on the guns.  I have 3 (taking delivery on number 4 next week) and couldn't possible be happier - unless I had 4 more!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Skeeter Lewis

How close is the Texican to a Colt Prewar? (I know the ejector rod is longer.)

Marshal Deadwood

There is just 'something' about the Texican that looks,,,,not right,,,,too modern.

For a current production single action, I'd definately get a USFA before the Texican.

MD

Digger

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on April 05, 2009, 02:46:15 PM
How close is the Texican to a Colt Prewar? (I know the ejector rod is longer.)

Hi Y'all,

I can't answer that.  All of my Colts are current production.  I'd like a nice pre-war, but so far I've been outbid on my choices.

Digger

Digger

Quote from: Marshal Deadwood on April 06, 2009, 12:02:18 AM
There is just 'something' about the Texican that looks,,,,not right,,,,too modern.

For a current production single action, I'd definately get a USFA before the Texican.

MD

Hi Y'all,

It's the grips I think.  When I replaced them it did a lot for eliminating that too modern feel.  As I said, all things considered and if I was only going to buy one, it'd be a USFA, but mainly because of the price.  But I also don't think anyone would be disappointed with the Texican.  It's a first rate saa.

Digger

Leo Tanner

They use coil springs, don't they?  That may help to answer Skeeters question. 

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Digger

Quote from: Leo Tanner on April 07, 2009, 01:13:41 PM
They use coil springs, don't they?  That may help to answer Skeeters question. 

Hi,

Nope.  Flat spring.  I believe their web site says they're using Wolf springs.

Digger

Marshal Deadwood

Digger, I shouldn't really have comment either way. A website photo is all I've seen of the Texican, but I think you may have just hit it...after going back and looking,,it's the grips that look a bit,,well....not like the standard kind we are used to looking at. I bet they would be a beauty with some 'customiz'in' with the grips.

I'm sure they are fine SAAs.

MD

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Digger on April 07, 2009, 03:56:43 PM
Hi,

Nope.  Flat spring.  I believe their web site says they're using Wolf springs.

Digger

Well I shoulda looked there first.  I read an early review on the things, the author had nothing bad to say.  At that time they were about 1200 bucks a piece.  Figgured if I had the desire, I could get a Colt fer that much.

Roland Deschain

Digger

Quote from: Marshal Deadwood on April 07, 2009, 07:17:11 PM
Digger, I shouldn't really have comment either way. A website photo is all I've seen of the Texican, but I think you may have just hit it...after going back and looking,,it's the grips that look a bit,,well....not like the standard kind we are used to looking at. I bet they would be a beauty with some 'customiz'in' with the grips.

I'm sure they are fine SAAs.

MD

Hi MD,

I'm pleased with mine.  I'll put up the picture here too.  This pair is a USFA and a Texican.  The top one is the Texican.  The grips made a tremendous amount of difference in its appearance.  But, again, dollar-for-dollar the USFA wins.

Digger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com