Frame and barrel intergrity on Uberti revolvers ?

Started by Marshal Deadwood, February 08, 2009, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Deadwood

I'm not sure of the exact termonology to use,,so bear with me here. The Uberti frames, barrels, ,,etc,,,other words,,,the structural metals in their ,,say,,,model P's/Cattlemen,,,,are they less strong metals,,,than say a USFA or Colt ? I know,cometicly,,,they are different...and the screws seem to be softer..but what about frames/barrels ?,,,,are they equal in metal strength to the two big American makers ? Are they softer ?

I read a post one time were a gent said (one of the USA biggies) would be clickin' along just fine when the Ubertis had been recycled into washing machine parts.

What say ye ?

Thanks,

MD  *I'm not trying to cast a shadow on the USA makers, merely trying to get some info on 'metal strength' (only way I know to ask this) of the Ubertis.

Abilene

The frames are forged on the Cimarron Model P's (they are cast on the smaller P-Jr. and Lightnings)  I expect that the standard Uberti Cattleman are forged as well.  The cylinders and barrels of the cartridge guns are made of steel that is better than Colt, according to Mike Harvey.  This better steel used to be a Cimarron exclusive but is now used on all the Uberti cartridge guns, I believe.  Cimarron had Uberti start using that steel when they started making the Opentop, and over time they started using it on the other cartridge guns as well.  The steel on the percussion guns is good, but not as good as the cartridge guns.

My opinion is that USFA does not have better steel, but is very well fit and the internal parts are probably hardened better as well.  Also, the Italian springs are not very reliable, but those are easy to change.

Coffinmaker

There are several different ways of determining the strength of steel.  Steel is an alloy of iron.  Different alloys, different levels of "strength."  
The Steel used in USFA and Colt guns is of a different alloy than the steel used by Uberti.  The quality of the Italian guns has improved over the last several years but it would appear they (the Italians) use a slightly "softer" steel the the US makers.  Neither I,nor does anyone else I know, have the capability to test and tell anyone the actual metallurgical difference.  
An improperly set up USFA or Colt will fail just a surly as an Italian copy.  Properly set up, an Italian copy will still last longer than it's original owner, provided it has proper maintenance and care.
Are Colt and USFA built guns better made than the Italian copies??  Yes.  Simple answer.  Will they outlast their Italian copies??  Probably.  But, the probably is relative. You can wear out any mechanical device.  Just don't maintain it.  Will the internal parts of the Italian copies wear faster than Colt or USFA??  Most certainly.  The italian parts are cheaper.  Cheaper to replace too.  With proper maintenance, and the occasional replacement of warn parts, an Uberti or Pietta will long outlast the shooter.  They (Italian copies) may never become heirloom pieces, but will certainly last long enough.
There is also a huge price difference.  You get what you pay for.  Almost.  To be considered "competitive," the USFA and the Colt still need basic action work and spring replacement.  Seems silly to spend twice the cost of Italian SA, and still need action work for competition.  And, when used in competition, Colt and USFA require just as much maintenance as the copies to remain in top form.
One need not be afraid to quire and play with the Italian copies.  They play this game just fine.  Since you can get TWO for the price of one, well ....................

Coffinmaker  

Fox Creek Kid

The biggest thing I hate about Italian SAA clones is the integrally cast cam on the hammer. However, that can be cured by drilling it out & inserting a Colt cam. That is if you know someone who has Colt cams as Colt does not sell them to the public. Fortunately I know someone who has some and no, I am not telling.  ;D ;)

Pettifogger

My Open Tops are cast as is evidenced from the casting flaws in the recoil shield.

Fox Creek Kid

Pettifogger, why on earth did you not send that back for a replacement? Better yet, how on earth did it pass inspection in Italy!!  ::)

Pettifogger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com