DUKE RIG

Started by outrider, February 01, 2009, 09:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outrider

Howdy Pards,

After a few years of "should I" or "shouldn't I" I have finally made a rig similar to the rig that John Wayne wore in many of his pictures.  I notice in the photo that the belt appears to have an arc to it but that is just the way I laid it out when taking the pictures.  It was chilly on the deck this moring and I just shot these quickly..

Also....I am patiently awaiting the Ruger "New Model Vaquero Bisley's"  I have ordered two but have to wait for a few more months...oh well.  I already have the OMV Bisley's and realy like that shape on the grip.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

Most Excellent, Outrider. This rig looks worthy of the Duke, or anyone else lucky enough to own it. One of these days I'd like to see one of these in person, just to check out the details. Your color is perfect IMO.

I started shooting CAS early last year, trading a DA wheel gun and a Sig for a couple of NM Vaqueros. Then I got a chance to shoot a pair of Bisleys, and it was all over for me. I wear a XXL glove, so the Bisleys fits me perfectly, while the Vaqueros, which are OK, have always seemed small.

I just bought a used Uberti 66 Yellowboy from one of our club guys getting out due to arthritis, so funds for Bisleys is going to be wanting. The fact that Ruger is reintroducing them speaks well for our sport.

Once again, nice job, JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

Outrider
   Very nice "The Duke" would be proud to were that  rig
I really like  the way ya left the rough out on the belt imo
i like the rough out look
Keep up the awesome work
      Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

Looks good, Outrider. The contrast of color and texture sure does work nicely. Is that a money belt? Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

outrider

Marshal,

The belt is a money belt.  I think in the future I will just do a rough out without making the money belt...

JD,

The color is Fiebings British Tan, with a bag kote seal and neutral shoe polish..
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

Great. I just bought some British Tan, and I have some bag kote, so I'll give it a try. Thanks, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: outrider on February 01, 2009, 05:20:31 PMThe belt is a money belt.  I think in the future I will just do a rough out without making the money belt...
Thanks. It's very effective. It has to be comfortable and stay in place nicely.

mike highgate

Outrider, nice work.
Do you use ordinary veg tanned leather for the cartridge loops? I've heard bridle leather is better. Is that true?

Curley Cole

Outrider,
that is one sweet lookin rig. (I esp. like the way the crossdraw rides..) ya done good.

I know this is a leather makers forum, but I wanted to post my Pair o Dukes. I got these from El Paso Saddlery about 25 years ago.(eps don't even make them this way anymore, they do a reddish belt). but wanted to put it up cuz these are about as close to the real dukes as any around...

How bout some pix of ya wearin that rig, I would like to see how it lays...

thanks
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Outrider,

Outstanding! That is one beautiful piece of work. The Duke or anyone would be very proud to wear this rig. It has your ever present excellent workmanship. Many thanks for sharing your talents with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D ;D Howdy Outrider

Your Duke rig is beautiful Pard, I've always liked the simplicity of the Duke holster and money belt, you captured it well, I don't know if you have worn a money belt before but for comfort they can't be beat, you can wear them pretty much all day without tiring, they give when bending overer or stooping down and just form to your body unlike any other gun belt. your colors look real nice and the British Tan looks good with the cream rough out. WELL DONE  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D   
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

outrider

Howdy Pards,
Thanks for the kind words..

Mike,
Yes the loops are veg tanned about 4-5 oz.  I have not ried bridel leather for loops but have some 4-5 oz.calf skin in the shop I will try next
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice to see another version of the same thing, Curley. Thanks for the pic.

Outrider, I use 4-5 oz bridle leather for my loops. I like working with it. I use the same stuff for lined holsters when the occasion arises (almost never).

Dalton Masterson

Very nice Outrider!!! Love the color and of course its excellent worksmanship!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com