Trigger Pull ... Chaparrel M1876 (45-75)

Started by john boy, January 31, 2009, 08:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john boy

7# 01oz ... Chaparral M1876 45-75 ... Didn't realize it was this heavy.  Four to 5 pounds would have been my guess.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: john boy on January 31, 2009, 08:47:05 PM
7# 01oz ... Chaparral M1876 45-75 ... Didn't realize it was this heavy.  Four to 5 pounds would have been my guess.

I'd be interested in knowing how much "SLOP" there is between the pivot pin and the trigger ::)
I have yet to see one that wasn't rediculous..........
There is no real way to put a good trigger in a Chaparral without eliminating the excessive slop :'(

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

OKDEE

On mine, I seem to recall, that I simply polished the blueing off and that helped quite a bit.

If you have not done that, give it a whirl!   :D

Oklahoma Dee

larryo_1

When i got my Uberti '76, the trigger pull measured a healthy 12 pounds.  GRUNT! >:(  I filed down the main spring thinner and worked over the trigger stuff.  Now it is a very nice smooth 5.5 pounds and I is happy! ;D  Can't say anything good about the Chapparals as that is another story, for me, in itself but I got an idea that if you do what I did it may work.  If you do file the main spring, don't go across the grain unless you have a spare.  Go parallel with the grain on the spring and do it slowly and check often.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Ground Hog

I've come to believe that the problem on the Chaparrel's  is that the hammer notches and the sear "blade" are not formed properly. I've been working on building a set trigger for mine and have made a completely new hammer sear and trigger. I cut the notches and formed the sear "blade" sharply and with the proper angles like a good SAA. The factory parts appear to be poorly finished castings. Anyway the rifle now has a 3 1/2 pound trigger pull with zero creep and it breaks like glass. This trigger is just as loose as the factory parts on the pivot pin due to one number drill being to small and the next to big so I fit it with a needle file. I think one could work the notches and sear over with a stone and get the same results. I just started over because I needed to fit the hammer with a fly so it wouldn't hang up in the half-cock notch and I didn't want to risk ruining the factory parts if I screwed-up modifying one. Also, set trigger triggers are completely different. Now if I can just get the knock off, catch hook and thier springs figured out I'll have one I can set to ounces. Just need to invest another hundred or so hours.

Ground Hog

john boy

Ground Hog - pictures of the DST finished product sure would be nice.  On the originals, they were special order
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com