A thread on outfits

Started by Delmonico, January 30, 2009, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,24441.0.html

I started this in The Old Fashioned Way child board.  We get a lot of questions around here on outfits from new folks, lets post some pictures of different outfits folks wear so we can direct new folks to pictures of what folks wear to shoots and other events.

Since these questions show up on several of our forums, we can have a referance in one place to direct folks to.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Leo Tanner

Sound like a good ider ta put all that info in one basket ;)
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Delmonico

Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 30, 2009, 06:29:03 PM
Sound like a good ider ta put all that info in one basket ;)

If a lot of us jump in, it may take more than a basket. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Charlie Bowdre

Del
Great idea , I for one will appreciate it .
I am trying to put together an outfit and right now that could be worn in a NCOWS match , even thought I am far away from any Posse .
Right now  am looking at a vest to wear which would depict the Texas - Montana trails of the 1860-80's .
I really don't like the fancy brocade items . Looking at a light weight wool  ( skinny sheep (spit**) )

I think this would be a great idea
Dutchy.

WOOPS   MOVE IF NECESSARY..Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Delmonico

Canvas/duck or wool either one would put you where you need to be.  I have some of those fancy vests, but wear them for dress, not as ordinary work clothes, which is what they would have been used for back then also. ;D

Of course I have it nice, I don't have much modern clothes, just wear this stuff to work. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Fingers McGee

Here is a picture of the Banana Bunch at the 2006 Missouri Boatride.  That's Banana Split, Banana Pudding, Banana Dacquiri, Banana peel, Banana Bread, and Chiquita Banana (That would be Chucky), IIRC.  Have you ever seen such a slippery looking bunch before?

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

River City John

Before I get myself all worked up to start posting material in here, let me offer my own simple philosophy.

Regardless of the shooting organization, all take their inspiration from the love of the history of the 19th century. Different organizations have different guidelines as to how strict they are in (Now don't you all jump all over poor little 'ole me, . . . .but let me use, this ONE time, the term,. . . .'COSTUMING').

In a nutshell, if you do your study and keep your eye attuned for the look based on the history of the period, and select your purchases accordingly, you will find this will prove to be the greatest economy,- for the closer you are to achieving the true 19th cent. look based on documented images and catalog references, then you'll find that standard of(Oh God!, here he says again. . .) 'costuming' to be acceptable to ALL the shooting organizations.

In other words, the closer you are to the HISTORY and you'll automatically fit into all the organizations.
This frees you from having to buy different wardrobes to compete in those different organizations Del mentioned in his original post. BIG HINT here, if you select your firearms based on that philosophy, too, then you won't ever have to worry whether your guns are NCOWS-approved; GAF-approved; or SASS-approved. ;) 

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Daniel Nighteyes

Well, nowya gone an' done it! ;D

Here's the "Unusual Suspects" posse from the 2008 Firecracker Shootout.  It was awful danged hot that day, too:

And here's several pics of me at various times and in various outfits:

This one was taken shortly after I began shooting SASS.

Here's me wearing a pair of business casual pants I was converting to CAS wear.  Note that the belt loops haven't yet been removed.

This is one of my favorite pics, because I think it shows off my outfit quite well.

Believe it or not, I've actually USED this lance at a Cowboy Long Range match.  (For a hint on how I used it, note the small crossbar above the top feather.)

This was taken on Halloween night.  Fairly convincing, huh?

Some decorations:

Most of you have seen this one before.

And last but not least, my namesake  ;):

River City John

Outstanding, Daniel!

You have put a lot of your soul into your choices.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Quote from: River City John on January 31, 2009, 10:47:37 AM
Outstanding, Daniel!

You have put a lot of your soul into your choices.

RCJ

Looks good folks, but can I ask a favor?  Post them in this thread:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,24441.0.html

I started this one to let folks know about this one, here it will fall down to another page, this one I'm gonna sticky. ;D  (Not that it will move that fast in the other forum.)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com