Need a pocket pistol for NCOWS and SASS use.

Started by lethal larry, January 30, 2009, 06:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lethal larry

I want to get a pocket pistol that is NCOWS legal and I can use in SASS side matches. I cannot afford a genuine original antique pistol of this type, or where I'd find one anyway. Does anyone have a suggestion on a currently made pocket pistol that is reasonably priced (or on the cheap side)? Thanks.
Lethal Larry
NCOWS #3100
SASS # 54829
"Clinging to" my Wife, Guns, Bible, cats and goat... and proud of it!

L.G.

Taint no modern made pocket pistols...notice the slang and double negatives?  All there is, is early 1900's .32, and .38 S&W's.  You'll find real Smith's, Harrison and Richards, and a few other makes out there.  They can be found at gun dealers that sell used guns, and gun shows.  Look carefully and be prepared to look at a lot of them before you find one that you're comfortable with.
SASS #48097
NRA #2008175
Gateway Shootist Society
Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
WartHog
B.O.S.S. #19
RATS #130
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Slingshot383

Goatlips

Larry,

There are plenty of them around and little demand for them.  I like my IJ .38 S&W break tops, for $45, and the Smith & Wesson Safety Hammerless can be had here for about sixty bucks, well worn.  I load the .38 SW case brim full of BP and stuff a Snakebite on top.   ;D

Goatlips

Adirondack Jack

Genuwine S&W "double action" circa 1882 in .32 S&W (short).  Cost? $90.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Dr. Bob

Howdy L. Larry,

If you look on Gun Broker and Guns America you can find S & W .38 S&W revolvers at a reasonable price most of the time.  The ones with 30% - 50% original nickel.  As long as they lock up tight and index well, they are shooters and aren't too expensive!  You just have to keep looking until you can buy one right.  I have bought a couple of 38 Sc& W DA revolvers at a good price and got a 2nd Model Safety Hammerless [Lemon Squeezer} too.  Just look for a while and then bid.  You will get one at an OK price and have a good shooter and fun revolver to own!! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Pancho Peacemaker

Larry,

I stopped by the Mesquite Big Town gunshow last week and one fella had a table with about 20 different S&W Safety Hammerless revolvers.  He had them priced from $185 to $500 depending on the finish.  All of appeared to be in time and functional.

I recently bought one from a friend of a friend and paid $200 for it.  I'll try to bring it to the next match.  Mine is a .38 S&W 3rd Model in blue.

If you search around on Gunbroker, you will find many available. 

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Pancho Peacemaker

Here's a couple of pictures of my pocket pistol:

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Dr. Bob

Pancho,

4th Model "New Departure 38 Safety"??  A fine looking firearm! ;D  Wish that my 2nd Model had that much finish! :( :'( ;D  But it does lock up tight and index properly.  :o  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

litl rooster

Quote from: Dr. Bob on February 12, 2009, 11:33:29 PM
Pancho,

4th Model "New Departure 38 Safety"??  A fine looking firearm! ;D  Wish that my 2nd Model had that much finish! :( :'( ;D  But it does lock up tight and index properly.  :o  ;D

I wish mine was that shiney but it still accurate and useable

Mathew 5.9

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pards

I was given this S&W over 40 years ago, by an old friend of mine, it's a 38 cal. 4" barrel nickel hammerless, five shot, it was made in 1886, the holster that came with it was made either at the end of the 1800's or the early 1900's, the gun is in great shape and it locks up tight, here it is

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Here is my 1871 Richards Mason from Taylor's. I had a friend of mine who owns a machine shop cut the barrel down just a tad under 4 inches. It's a lot of fun to shoot. I'm not a good shot with a pistol but it is pretty accurate.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pard

Johnny this is a good looking pocket pistol, your friend did a nice job of cutting it down, and I bet it's fun to shoot, Thanks for sharing  :o 8) ::)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on February 13, 2009, 01:19:13 PM

Howdy Pards

I was given this S&W over 40 years ago, by an old friend of mine, it's a 38 cal. 4" barrel nickel hammerless, five shot, it was made in 1886, the holster that came with it was made either at the end of the 1800's or the early 1900's, the gun is in great shape and it locks up tight, here it is

Nice outfit!!

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: L.G. on January 30, 2009, 09:01:15 AM
Taint no modern made pocket pistols...notice the slang and double negatives?  All there is, is early 1900's .32, and .38 S&W's.  You'll find real Smith's, Harrison and Richards, and a few other makes out there.  They can be found at gun dealers that sell used guns, and gun shows.  Look carefully and be prepared to look at a lot of them before you find one that you're comfortable with.

Actually......you can buy the colt clone percussion pocket police and then buy a .32 cal conversion cylinder for it.

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

65bsaA65

Ten Wolves, is that the holster that came with the gun?  That's a nice piece of work.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: 65bsaA65 on February 14, 2009, 09:45:16 PM
Ten Wolves, is that the holster that came with the gun?  That's a nice piece of work.

Howdy 65bsaA65

Yes, the holster came with it, it's over a hundred years old, my friend was born in 1892, he bought the gun used in 1910, and the holster came with it, He told me he only used the holster a few times, and the guy he bought it from never did use it, he said the first owner thought it was too fancy to wear, and after he bought it never did wear it much,  my friend carried it in his coat pocket or in his belt most of the time, too see this holster in person you wouldn't believe how old it is, but then it was taken real good care of all these years, which is a good point, if you keep your leather goods in the same living climate as you do yourself, and let the leather breath, the leather will last a long long time, this holster shows no sign of being dried out or any cracks of any kind, I know they tanned there leather probably a lot better back then, but this leather is beautiful too, a high quality for sure.

Thanks for the kind remarks Pard  :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D

Patrick Henry Brown

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my newest acquisitions. First is a 1910 Iver Johnson 32 S&W DA Third Model. The second is a S&W 32 DA Fourth Model (or so I've been told -- still researching).

Pancho Peacemaker

Nice pocket pistols Preacher Clint.

I think we have enough shooters with pocket guns, that we could try to incorporate these into a few stages at one of our upcoming NCOWS shoots.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Patrick Henry Brown

Quote from: Pancho Peacemaker on February 26, 2009, 05:51:27 PM
Nice pocket pistols Preacher Clint.

I think we have enough shooters with pocket guns, that we could try to incorporate these into a few stages at one of our upcoming NCOWS shoots.

Pancho

That would be great. I just got a box of Magtech ammo and finished a holster for the Iver Johnson. Still waiting on the Smith & Wesson to get here.

Flinch Morningwood

I just picked up a National Arms .32 S&W "clone" for $50...anyone know anything about these?  It looks just about like Preacher Clint's but only has two screws  (the the breaktop latch "holder" is pinned) and has mother of pearl handles. 

Didn't have much nickel left and some rust so I bronzed brushed it down to steel....

This is a double action...does that make a difference?  I see the "hammerless" models and I assume they are double actions...but I've been wrong before.

Anyone load their own for this?  What bullet do you use and where do you get your brass?

Thanks!
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com