ok Guys my wife is a genius

Started by cowboy316, January 29, 2009, 05:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

ok guys here i sit holding the leather around this pistol doing the wet form and my wife pipes up  and says wrap a towel around it and clap it  but i told her the clamps were in my tool trailer so she thinks for a bit and yells go get the food saver we will air seal it and see what happen and by god it worked here are a couple pics of what it looked like LOL
            Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Mogorilla

Twice in one day I see a leather related use for a vacuum sealer.  This is an excellent idea.  I lurk on the Paleoplanet and a guy is using one of those large storage bags you attach to the vacuum to reduce space, he is braining a deer skin and using it to really pull the brain solution into the hide. 

cowboy316

hey Mo my wife just said great minds think alike ill have pics of the finished product here soon

T.C. Grant

The best is that it will lock in the flavor and prevent freezer burn while it is molding the leather to the gun!!

cowboy316

ok guys here it im putting the judging of my first holster in your hands ;D

TC
  not only that but it a great benifit for bulk shopping lol
     Cowboy316

ChuckBurrows

You're wife thinks like many of the pro holster makers, especially the concealment guys. They use an industrial strength version to do the same thing..........
After using the bag you can also hand bone with smoothed pieces of hard wood or antler - the latter is my favorite.

The holster looks good overall - IMO you just need to tweak the pattern a bit - it's a bit too wide overall and especially at the trigger guard. A hint - buy yourself some "cheap" 4/5 oz chap leather or watch for sales on cheap import veg tan for experimenting with - it will allow you to adjust your designs for about half the cost of quality veg tan.

My comments are hopefully taken in the spirit of helpfulness they are meant..
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Marshal Will Wingam

That really molded well. You've done a fine job on your first one. You can now look at what you'd trim off or add to it to make it just the way you want then make those adjustments to your pattern.

Chuck is right about using less expensive leather for testing patterns. I've used belly scrap to test patterns before. Maybe your vender will have a scrap bin you can pick through.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboy316

Well guys
    believe it or not the chunk of leather was off a big piece i picked up out of the scrap bin at the local saddle shop it was all dirty and scratched up and i figured it would work for  the first one and the good thing is id didnt cost me a thing cuz this saddle shopis were i first learned to do leather work  so alot of time they just give me leather scraps  ;D

JD Alan

Well, Cowboy 316, you do move in a hurry. I'm impressed that you've already knocked out a holster. Call me Mr. draggin my feet, but I keep practicing at this, that, and the other thing. I'm sewing some scrap together right now, testing out my dremel to drill  holes.

Heck of a good job for a first holster. Having two guys the caliber of Chuck & Will give you advice is worth more than the cost of using good leather. Using scrap is all the smarter.

Congrats Bro, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

JD
Thank you bud  comments like yours always get me excited too makes me feell good  and as for moving fast ive always been the one to junp in with both feet and give anything a try LOL
   Cowboy316

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com