Traditions SAA .357 Mag Questions

Started by NavyDT, January 25, 2009, 07:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NavyDT

Hello all,
Ive been interested in the Cowboy action shooting thing for quite a while now. i this past weekend i went to a gun show looking for a gun that could get my foot in the door for CAS. now, mind you that my pocket book isint very thick on my military income so i knew i was going to be in for a hard days work to find soothing i could bring home.

i took an old .22 cal SA with me and sold it 15 feet in the door for what i payed for it, 175 bucks. feeling pretty good and knowing that i had 400 bucks to spend put a spring in my step and i marched through the crowds looking for "that" gun. i saw a lot of nice Ruger Vaqueros, most were chambered in .45 Long Colt, and most were anywhere from $400-500. there were lots of colts, ( with papers of course ) and even a few knock offs, but people wanted a lot more then what i had to offer. i talked one fellow down to $375 on a Vaqueros Stainless Steel 7 1/2" .45LC but that gun wasn't exactly what i had in mind. i was never a person to go for flash, more for the Plain Jane functional look.

As i rounded the last isle of exhibitors i knew that my chances at bringing home a new gun were next to nil. about 5 tables down i noticed what looked to be a ruger and steped closer to investigate. the price said $350 and i was quite shocked.
     i said " Is that a Vaqueros?"
     "no, that's a traditions"
     " i thought traditions only made muzzle loaders and black powder pistols"
     "they normally do but but that's a single action .357mag."
     i smirked "have you ever shot it?"
     " i have, put a box of 38's through it, but I'm in the business of resell so its got to go, ive got work room with that gun if you want"
     " you take 275 for it?"
     "how about 315?"
     "lets call it 300 cash?"
      he grinned "300 cash sir and ill let you take it"
money exchanged hands and i don't think my smile could have been any bigger. nothing like picking up a new toy to bring home to really make your day.

well, i got home and started researching about this particular type of gun and i cant find anything anywhere. i went to the traditions website and they have no mention of it. the only thing Ive been able to find for this gun are the snap caps. so let me get in to my real question.

Can anyone please help me find out some more information for this particular pistol? i would also like to try and find a companion so i can compete. please look at the pictures attached so you can get a better idea of what to look for.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r291/Fuzzysword/Traditions%20SAA%20357/

please follow that link to take a look at the pictures, and thanks again for taking the time to read this long post!
Very Respectfully,
NavyDT

Abilene

Howdy NavyDT,
Your sixgun was made by Armi San Marco.  They've been out of business for close to ten years and ASM parts are generally not available.  Someone else may be able to tell you whether Colt, Pietta, or Uberti parts may be the closest fit, if needed.  If it is in good working condition and timed well, then the parts that are most likely to break (springs) are fairly universal.  Some of the ASM-made guns were very spotty in quality (conversions and schofields), but I've heard that some of their SAA's were well-made.  Good luck and enjoy it!

NavyDT

Thanks for taking the time to reply i really appreciate that. well i guess that i have kind of mixed feelings then about the gun. maybe there aren't too many of them out there so i might have to get 2 different guns. lets hope i didn't end up with one of the low quality ones. if feels smooth and appears to be in fine working condition. maybe ill try to get to the range and do a little work on paper to see how she shoots.

Very Respectfully,
NavyDT

Four-Eyed Buck

There's a possibility that some San Marco parts might be available from AWA in it's current iteration yet. for a match to that gun, look for the AWA's used. either the Longhorn or the Peacekeeper. they were strictly ASM guns until they were reorganised after Colt's lawsuit..............Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Curly Red Ryder

Howdy Navy DT,
your SA is an Italian Clone . ASM probably for Army San Marco, the BM stamp on the body is the usual date mark on Italian replicas in fact BM means your gun is an Italian made and can be dated from 1999.

Hope this Helps
Successful me! No I begin!

NavyDT

Thanks everyone for the information it has really helped a lot, the next gun show i go to i will be much more educated on what i need to look for  :P
Very Respectfully,
NavyDT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com