Powder Differences

Started by Leo Tanner, January 25, 2009, 04:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Tanner

Been shootin 3F in the 51.  I like it alot, but was recently offered a good deal on a case of 2F. 
What are the differences any of you have noticed between the two?  Should I make the purchase, I'd be paying about half price.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Delmonico

The smaller FFFg burns a bit faster, you might have a bit more fouling with FFg and you might loose a bit of velocity but with out a crono or weighing your dirty patches I doubt you'll see enough differance to even notice.  I never did, some may say differnt, but I doubt in a blind test that would hold much water. ;)

Oh forgot your pressure will be slightly higher.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Heh! Del!  Won`t the pressure be LOWER with 2F than 3F?

That 2f would make great shottie loads.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Mako

A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Noz

The only difference I can see is that the FFFg meters from the powder flask faster than the FFg. For what we're doing, buy it!

Fairshake

A little lower velocity and less recoil with more hard earned cash left in your pocket. Don't seem like that one is hard to figure on what to do.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Delmonico

Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on January 25, 2009, 06:03:04 PM
Heh! Del!  Won`t the pressure be LOWER with 2F than 3F?

That 2f would make great shottie loads.

Tis what happens when I try to post and answer the fhone at the same time. ;D

Should a read "will be lower with the FFg. ;D  And te durn "Black Sheep" a the bunch caught me. :)
Quote from: Mako on January 25, 2009, 09:47:22 PM
+1

I've seen that on other boards from folks who always want to one up-manship everyone.  Been better if ya 'splained why the pressures would be lower with FFg. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Leo Tanner

I figgued it was cause the bigger granuals can't compress as much as the smaller.  I'm sure there's more to it than that.

By the way, it's Goex, an unless yer a local friend of the guy sellin it, odds of gettin yer hands on it are slim ;)

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Delmonico

Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 26, 2009, 05:09:20 PM
I figgued it was cause the bigger granuals can't compress as much as the smaller.  I'm sure there's more to it than that.

By the way, it's Goex, an unless yer a local friend of the guy sellin it, odds of gettin yer hands on it are slim ;)

Nope, any time you have equal amounts of powder where one is faster burning than the other the pressure spike will be higher with the faster burning powder, a bit more molly-cules get to burn and turn into hot gasses before the projectile moves enough to make enough space to relive the pressure.  Of course this is not so when comparing Black to Nitro since Nito powders can develope higher pressures.

A bit more complicated than that, but good enough unless you want to study chemisty. :)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Delmonico on January 26, 2009, 05:33:03 PM
Nope, any time you have equal amounts of powder where one is faster burning than the other the pressure spike will be higher with the faster burning powder, a bit more molly-cules get to burn and turn into hot gasses before the projectile moves enough to make enough space to relive the pressure.  Of course this is not so when comparing Black to Nitro since Nito powders can develope higher pressures.

A bit more complicated than that, but good enough unless you want to study chemisty. :)

Thanks, knowledge is power an that makes complete sense ;)

Roland Deschain

Delmonico

Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 26, 2009, 05:46:54 PM
     Thanks, knowledge is power an that makes complete sense ;)

When they was tryin' to make somethin' useful out of a cripple they sent me to school for a while, them chemistry and physics classes were worth the trouble. 

Course they decided I was to beat-up to be useful, guess I showed them. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Mako

Quote from: Delmonico on January 26, 2009, 04:57:08 PM
Tis what happens when I try to post and answer the fhone at the same time. ;D

Should a read "will be lower with the FFg. ;D  And te durn "Black Sheep" a the bunch caught me. :)

Quote from: Mako Yesterday at 09:47:22PM
+1

I've seen that on other boards from folks who always want to one up-manship everyone.  Been better if ya 'splained why the pressures would be lower with FFg. ::)

Delmonico,
You are looking for blackguards where there are none.  I made no attempt to pile on, just agreed with Sir Charles because he was right.  And to the second part I disagree, an explanation  of the relative burning rates and pressures would have appeared sophomoric.  That's what the different "F grain" designations are all about.

I'm sorry you don't like it but I think the +1 is a good way to agree and help create a consensus without being pretentious.

Have a nice evening,
Mako

Delmonico

Quote from: Mako on January 26, 2009, 07:17:54 PM
Delmonico,
You are looking for blackguards where there are none.  I made no attempt to pile on, just agreed with Sir Charles because he was right.  And to the second part I disagree, an explanation  of the relative burning rates and pressures would have appeared sophomoric.  That's what the different "F grain" designations are all about.

I'm sorry you don't like it but I think the +1 is a good way to agree and help create a consensus without being pretentious.

Have a nice evening,
Mako

Well as I figured all along, you are one of those who only values their own opinion.  Plenty of them in this world, my explination is simple, because that's all it needs to be.  You want to fill the 20 or 30 pages it would take to get it in proper terms, go ahead.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Mako on January 26, 2009, 07:17:54 PM
And to the second part I disagree, an explanation  of the relative burning rates and pressures would have appeared sophomoric.  That's what the different "F grain" designations are all about.

Then twas my original question that was sophmoric.  I didn't know what the F degs meant other than grain size.  I always ask "why" an as I said, knowledge is power, I like to learn.  Especially when dealing with things that go BOOM.

Roland Deschain

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteI figgued it was cause the bigger granuals can't compress as much as the smaller.  I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Howdy

It is a surface area thing. Each grain of Black Powder burns from the surface in towards its center. Smaller grains have proportionally more surface area than larger grains. So smaller grains burn faster, all other things being equal.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Wills Point Pete

Without getting into any arguments I will also point out that the larger granulation will also give you more sparks and flame flying from a handgun barrel. I like the sparks and flame. Plus I do believe the flame is bigger. I haven't tested that scientifically, I have shot both 3f and 2f on cloudy, rainy days when I could really see the fireball from behind the gun.

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Wills Point Pete on January 27, 2009, 01:16:21 AM
Without getting into any arguments I will also point out that the larger granulation will also give you more sparks and flame flying from a handgun barrel. I like the sparks and flame. Plus I do believe the flame is bigger. I haven't tested that scientifically, I have shot both 3f and 2f on cloudy, rainy days when I could really see the fireball from behind the gun.

Well now that there alone would make the go at it worth it :) :) :) 
I like evening shoots, and love the flame.  Just wanted ta mske sure nothing would get fouled up if I switched powder

Driftwood, that makes sense, with the surface area causing the faster burn, thanks.

Roland Deschain

Leo Tanner

And while I'm askin questions, what the heck does the "g" stand fer?  I've seen old cans/kegs that don't have it.  Is the powder without the "g" different?

Roland Deschain

Delmonico

Leo, the correct answer to yer question is "Glazed", it means that the powder has been tumbled in graphite and the cornersrounded off. An A or nothing means it unglazed.  Not sold in this courty for sporting use any more, was cheaper. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Mako

Leo,
I sent you a PM. I'll talk with you later.
~Mako

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com