holster template

Started by cowboy316, January 25, 2009, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

ive got just and outline of a holster how would i turn that into a template to cut out the leather for the whole holster or does someone have one they can send me
        Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

A lot depends on what the holster is for. You need to get a pattern for the specific make and model pistol. You also need to know what type of holster you want to make. I suggest you take a look at the patterns available from Will Ghormley. He had a bunch of pattern sets that will fit the most common pistols. Another good source of patterns is Al Stohlman's "How To Make Holsters". Stohlman explains how to make your own pattern. If you start with the holster pattern, your design can then be made to fit that. If you draw a design first, you will need to adjust it for the actual holster pattern anyway. For example, a Colt SAA with a 5 1/2" bbl will take a slightly different pattern than an old-style Ruger Blackhawk with a 5 1/2" bbl. If you change the pattern for a longer or shorter barrel, you draw a modified design for that specific one.

Once you have the pattern for the holster, then you draw the carving pattern for the design. I draw a line for the outside of the pattern on the top, stitch side and toe. When I draw the carving pattern, I allow it to extend at least an inch past the centerline of the holster so when it's wrapped back to sew, you see the tooling on all the visible part of the holster except for the borders.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboy316

Thank you marshal  im new to all the holster making stuff but have done a lot of othe leather work
thought maybe id try my hand a a holster and belt rig here this next week or 2 (seeing how by tomorrow
i we should have 20 inches of snow on the ground and i dont plan on going out lol_
   Thanks again
          Cowboy316

knucklehead

if you have a handgun readily available then you can make a holster pattern for it.

take a large piece of paper and fold it in half. brown paper bag will work fine for this.

lay paper on table unfolded. get handgun insure its empty, lay it on the fold line front sight and rear sight right on top of fold line.
you did make sure its empty right??????
now roll gun over to the side letting it rest on paper. with a pencil trace the outline of the gun onto paper, like you did with your hand on paper as a kid.
also mark on paper where your rear sight is.

using the mark for rear sight draw a line to the trigger area outline. this will be the top of the holster. so draw the line till its pleasing to you.
on the outline for the trigger area to the muzzle of the trigger mark 3/4 to 7/8 of a inch away from your line.
now draw this till its pleasing to the eye. cut it out. thats your pattern.

fold it over and put gun inside pattern and adjust as needed, by trimming here and there.

thats the basic way to make a holster pattern.
also get the book by al stolhman on holster making its a good book.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

cowboy316

Knuckelhead
;DThank you very much also for the advice it will be well used and i
hope to have some of my work up soon instead of just practice tooling
and drawings lol and as soon as the leather shop is open back ill ill be there getting leather
Cowboy316

cowboy316

first attempt at template for ruger 44

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks good. When I get one that looks right, I trace that onto thin cardboard and wrap it around, just like it would be when it's assembled. If it has a skirt, like yours does, I fold that down, too, and see how it is. You can make any adjustments from that trial. I seldom make a pattern without adjustments before transferring it to leather. This is progressing nicely.

cowboy316

thank you Marshal
   now that ive got this going i was talking to my dad and i guess hes getting a little 9mm and was saying he would let me ake a holster for it  also along with his old 22  so ive got 2 more to play with   ;D
       Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

Great that you have a few more to work with, Cowboy. It's exponential. The more you do, the more fun you have.

When you get the pattern the way you want, trace the pouch area and put a border around it that allows for the stitch line and other decorative stamping you may want to do to it. Then draw your design on that, adjusting the various elements to fit accordingly. Here's one I did for a Cheyenne style holster one time to show you the idea. the little vertical lines top and bottom are the centerline of the holster.

cowboy316

Marshal
     that gives me a better idea for my tooling pattern i was thinkiing oak leaves and acorns
YOUR GOOD LOL
     Thank you
       Cowboy316

cowboy316

ok heres the template and the tooling pattern what ya think for my first attempt lol

Gun Butcher

Cowboy, If I may be so bold, you are about to make the same mistake I did one time. You tooling pattern should be on the left and the back section with the fold down should be on the right  for a right hand holster exactly opposite for a left hand.  What youhave now will cause you to cut your leather wrong.  Hope this will help.  GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboy316

thank you Gb
   i would have made that mistake lol what i was trying to do was set it up so it hung on
on my right hip and had a cross draw style for me being left handed
Thanks again GB
        Cowboy316

cowboy316

now what im needing is an idea fo how  belt loop is attached or what not 
pics are good lol
  Cowboy316

Gun Butcher

Cowboy, here is one way to attach the loop . You could also sew it down.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

That pattern should do the trick. GB is right. Be aware of how it wraps when done. I cut out a pair of holsters for a double strong side rig one time. They were both lefties and I had to cut another right side. Caught it before I started tooling, though. ;D

cowboy316

ok guys dumb question on GB last post how is that loop assembled looks to me like
its folded over the the wrap around  piece is rivited to it .   is that all done after sewing
     Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

When a loop is sewn or riveted on, like GB's, it is folded through the loop after sewing like a Mexican loop holster. To do that, you wet the whole thing so it's malleable and stick it through. That's a good time then to do your wet molding since it's already wet.

cowboy316

Marshal
    thats kinda what i thought but just wasnt sure  and it never hurts
to ask a question even tho you think it might be stupid
and im full of stupid questions LOL
    Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

The question was reasonable. Now you are armed with more knowledge.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com