Pattern Needed

Started by SaddleRider, January 25, 2009, 03:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaddleRider

Howdy All,

I need to find a pattern on how to make an old-fashioned visor type hat.  Meaning those that they used to wear say in the post office, general store.

I asked for help over at LW.N, but got no response.  Maybe someone here can help or point me in the right direction.  The one I made (well partially made anyway) looks like someone was wearing it and got scalped in it.

I'm embarrassed to post a pic, since it looks so bad, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
DeWayne

Marshal Will Wingam

If none of us have the answer, you may want to post your need over in the NCOWS forum. someone there may know more about that. I don't even know what one looks like.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dr. Bob

I think that he is taking about a "gamblers visor," but made of leather. Like they wear to play tennis or golf.  Ball cap without a top! ;D  Finally found the right description I think.  Am I right SaddleRider?
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SaddleRider

Ok Marshal Will.  Will do if I don't get the info here.  Thanks!

You are correct Dr. Bob.

I'm posting the pic of the one I botched and yes I know it looks like heck.

Ok....you can stop laughing!   :o ;) ;D   

Marshal Will Wingam

Hey, it looks fine to me. Thanks for the pic. When did they come into being? It's an interesting item.

cowboywc

If I remember right Hidecrafters has a pattern for one.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

SaddleRider

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on January 26, 2009, 12:23:32 AM
Hey, it looks fine to me. Thanks for the pic. When did they come into being? It's an interesting item.

Thanks Marshal Will.  I'm not sure when they came into being actually, I just know general storekeepers and their clerks, bank tellers, postal clerks, newpaper men and women used to wear them a long time ago.

There are several different versions of this item that were made.  The one I attempted to make was a more modern version, while the one's like in the attached picture is a more vintage looking one that as the photo shows was worn by a newspaper man.

wc,

I'll try to call Hidecrafter tomorrow, but looking through their pdf catalog since they haven't sent me a catalog yet, the only thing I saw was for baseball caps.  I know Tandy used to have a pattern, but discontinued it quite a while back from what I understand.  I even did a search on ebay, to no avail.

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, SR. That pic says a lot. How about tracing the bill on a baseball cap and riveting it to a strap with a buckle at the back? You could wet mold the inside edge to a lip and that would point the brim in the correct forward position before riveting and sewing it to the strap.

knucklehead

Ask and you shall recieve.

Your in luck. ;D

I was cleaning my leatherworking area this weekend.
I came accross the pattern that you are asking about. ;D

I will attempt to scan it into the computer when i get home tonite and post it. ???

when i started doing leatherworking i was buying up all the old patterns that i could find on ebay. this was one of them.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

SaddleRider

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on January 26, 2009, 10:24:08 AM
Thanks, SR. That pic says a lot. How about tracing the bill on a baseball cap and riveting it to a strap with a buckle at the back? You could wet mold the inside edge to a lip and that would point the brim in the correct forward position before riveting and sewing it to the strap.

That's an option Marshal Will.  I saw one someone had made that had molded the back (the part against the forehead) and sewn a 1" band all the way around it, with a buckle in back, and my attempt was to duplicate it, but it was unsuccessful.  You know that trial and error thing can be frustrating at times.   :o ??? ::)

Quote from: knucklehead on January 26, 2009, 11:04:24 AM
Ask and you shall recieve.

Your in luck. ;D

I was cleaning my leatherworking area this weekend.
I came accross the pattern that you are asking about. ;D

I will attempt to scan it into the computer when i get home tonite and post it. ???

when i started doing leatherworking i was buying up all the old patterns that i could find on ebay. this was one of them.

knucklehead,

I do thank you kindly.  cowboywc was correct, Hidecrafter does have kits in stock, so I ordered 2 of them.  I would like to see the pattern you have, just in case it's different than the kits I ordered.

Hidecrafters Visor Kits are very reasonable at $6.95 each!  Just in case anyone is interested, they said their new catalog should be out in about 30 days!

Thanks WC for suggesting them!  Much appreciated!

I'll post pics of the kit/pattern once I get them so all can see.

SaddleRider

Got the Leather Visor Kit and posting the pics of the kit below.  One page didn't come out too good, so I'll scan it and add it shortly.

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, there you go. It looks like it'll work fine. Thanks for the pics.

SaddleRider

Well...I've modified the visor pattern kit, more to my liking.  It is now a "one piece" pattern, instead of like the kit.

In addition, I allowed enough extra leather up top, so that I could make a molded forhead band without having to sew one on, as some of the more modern versions have.

I'm attaching a pic of the visor I just made and sold, so you can all see it.

Dr. Bob

Kewel!!  Like the color!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Marshal Will Wingam

Looksa good. The one-piece construction with the molded headband is a good idea. Thanks for sharing that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com