Uberti 1873 Win Bullet Question

Started by Dalion, January 25, 2009, 04:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalion

Howdy,

I just shot my new Uberti 1873 Winchester and had a bit of trouble shooting 38 specials through it.  I had some feeding issues.  The rifle was very accurate and a pleasure to shoot only the couple of feeding bobbles marred an otherwise stellar performance.  I know I was probably using the wrong bullets, 160 SWC, but is there a good bullet I can use to prevent these feed problems completely?  I was using 2.7 grains of Trail Boss for a load.  Thanks

Abilene

Jefro

Quote from: Abilene on January 25, 2009, 09:13:52 AM
RNFP and TC bullets feed fine.

+1 125gr TC or RNFP, an OAL about 1.432 runs smooth as butter. Good Luck.

Jefro :)
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Curley Cole

Like the others said. swc is yer problem. I use BearCreek 158gr rnfp in my 38sps. Bearcreek is a molycoated bullet and I think you will find they are great...

good shootin

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Charlie Bowdre

Dalton

Have used my 73 since last fall . The first few times with 38 cases I was really disappointed
Simple fix which was given to me by CAS members was to switch to 357 cases . Works like a charm . I use Snake Bite 158 grain Big Lube bullets which I pour myself . Lube with SPG and about 19gr. 2ff Goex, with great results.Seat them about 1.59"

Now I know ya may not want to go that route but it works 100% for me .

Enjoy

Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Dalion

Gentlemen, thank you for your help.  I have ordered some new bullets today.  I also found out I was short stroking the lever and I was jamming the bolt head against the cartridge carrier.  I just had to push the lever forward a little and then finish the stroke and the cartridge would go in the chamber with no further problem.  I have to get used to this rifle.  It is a bit different from my Marlin 94 I have been using.  Thanks Again

Charlie Bowdre

Good , you should be happy with it . I went from A Marlin as well . No complaints about either one but I do LIKE the 73 . I found as well that you don't need to be rough but ya have to let her know you are there when you chamber a round !

Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Because of the design of the cartridge elevator, the '73 is more forgiving at loading bullets like the Semi-Wadcutter than rifles with tilting carriers like a '92. But you can still have a problem if the square shoulder of the SWC bullet catches on the edge of the chamber. By the way, that square shoulder is so the bullet will punch nice clean holes in paper targets. I load Mrs Johson's 38s with 125 grain Truncated Cone bullets and they feed reliably up the tilting carrier of her Marlin. Myself, I always load Round Nosed Flat Point bullets in all my 44-40s for my rifles.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com