Cleaning your leather before dying?

Started by Ace Lungger, January 21, 2009, 01:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I need to ask you all a question? I believe I saw and read that you should allways clen your leather before dyeing it, I have allways used rubbing alchol, but I have never done a light color before. And since I have been making this shoulder rig, I have been doing it a little at a time, and have notice some discoloraction, and I am not sure why, weather it was oil off my hands ect., never show up untill i did the border stamping! I read in one of my old, old books to use,oxalic acid cystalls, I don't have a clue in the world where I would go to get them?  If by any chane any of you could give me a clue, as to where I might find this stuff, i would be more than great full!

Any and all help advice will be aprreciated!
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Ace
Most hardware stores and woodworkers supply companys carry it.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ace Lungger

Thanks WC,
So i just go to Ace hardware stire and sk if the have oxalic acid cystalls??? You must remember that I live in podunk america!
I will see if I can find some this weekend.
Thanks Again
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

ChuckBurrows

it's often sold as wood bleach at hardware/paint stores........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Ace Lungger

Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Follow the directions.
You should neutralize it with water and baking soda after use.
I quit using it years ago. I use pure lemon juice to clean my leather now.
WC

Ace Lungger

W.C. ,
If lemon juice is good enough for you, I believe Lemon Juice is what I will be using, I know where to go to find it!!
Thank you So Much!!
Thanks ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Ace
You can get the little plastic lemons with pure concentrate at most supermarkets.
WC

SaddleRider

Ace,

You may want to try Fiebings #5 Dye Prep.

My suppliers website product description reads: 

"Use Dye Prep to clean the leather before applying dyes or stains."

I've never used it, but definitely going to order a bottle soon to try it out myself.  I've been having similar issues lately with the tooling part coming out darker than the rest.  I guess it's caused by the oils in my hands touching the leather while I'm working on it.  Hopefully this will cure the problem.

Ace Lungger

saddlerider,
thanks for that, but the closest place for me to get it 120 miles each way, and i don't want to orderIt, but Thanks

WC, do I dilute or usw strait out of the bottle? If this was going to be a light color, i wouldn't care so much, i would just kit it with some R.A. and be done with it. But that light color puts me in no mans land :o :o And I have learned from you guys and my mentor is, if you are going to do it, do it the best you can!!
Thanks ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Ace
I use it right out of the bottle.
WC

cowboywc

Howdy SaddleRider
I have trouble with oils and acid in my system(drinking way to much Pepsi) leaving stains on my leather. I have to wash my hands and
arms before every carving job.
WC

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

??? :-\ WC, Saddlerider looks enough like you to be your twin brother, ( LOL )  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SaddleRider

Quote from: cowboywc on January 22, 2009, 03:14:33 PM
Howdy SaddleRider
I have trouble with oils and acid in my system(drinking way to much Pepsi) leaving stains on my leather. I have to wash my hands and
arms before every carving job.
WC

Howdy WC,

Yeah, same for me, but mine is too much Coke Cola and dip, although I do wash before touching the leather, I guess there is a residual that is embedded in the skin even after washing.

I guess that is why I'm going to try the "Fiebings #5 Dye Prep" route one of these days and see if that makes a difference.

DeWayne

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on January 22, 2009, 09:57:16 PM

??? :-\ WC, Saddlerider looks enough like you to be your twin brother, ( LOL )  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

tEN wOLVES,

Don't insult WC like that!   :o ;D

ChuckBurrows

FWIW - Fiebings #5 Dye Prep is nothing more than ethyl alcohol(grain alkie) and a bit of ammonia.

For general cleanup/deglazing I generally use Isopropyl in a spray bottle, when things get tougher I use denatured or acetone. I've also used white vinegar and lemon juice - both are mild acids.......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Wiley Desperado

Good night nurse! Now I can say it is a documented fact that Beer is better than drinking soda water if your going to be a leathercrafter!!!! It doesn't cause a fella to stain his leather. I love this thread! Thanks for sharing pards.

cowboywc

Howdy SaddleRider
May not be just the Pepsi and my dip, may be the Black Velvet in the Pepsi.
WC

P.S.
There was no insult from TW....

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: cowboywc on January 26, 2009, 12:54:22 AM
May not be just the Pepsi and my dip, may be the Black Velvet in the Pepsi.
Uh-huh! More comes to light.  ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com