Another thread on Dyeing & Finishing leather

Started by JD Alan, January 19, 2009, 12:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Before I ask any questions, I want to say thanks one more time to everyone on this forum for all the help I've received. I don't know what I would have done without you guys.

I couldn't understand why people put so many coats of so many products on their leather projects. Now, having tried it, I understand the challenge, sort of.

Looking at pictures of holsters and belts on this forum, I am blown away by the final outcome, color and finish wise.

So far I haven't found what I'm looking for, color wise. I have several colors of Fiebings oil dyes, but I haven't tried mixing them yet. I've read about Russett color, but have yet to find anything claiming to be Russett in the way of a dye. I have sampled EVOO and Lexol conditioner, and I am looing forward to trying different combinations of things

If anyone has any ideas on this topic, I would welcome the input. I do appreciate all the great info so far, and I'm sure I will learn more as time goes on.

God bless you all, JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

santee

It's mostly trial and error. Get lots of scraps and go to town. Also, look through the Leathersmiths...Show Us Yer Stuff pages. If I like a color of an item someone's posted, I ask and always get an answer on the recipe.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

outrider

Howdy JD,

Don 101 had a beautiful color that he mixed with a 3 to 1 ratio.....1 part Fiebings Meduim Brown to 3 parts of Feibings Saddle Tan...check out the holster on page 156 from Sept 25 , 2008 on  the "Show us your stuff" thread.  The color on that holster is "primo" one of the best that I have seen in a brown.  You may want to consider that color.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

Thanks Outrider, I appreciate the info. I just picked up some other colors of Fiebings pro dye. I don't know how many use Fiebings regular spirit based dye versus the pro dye. The people at Tandy reccomended the pro dye when I first started out, so I went with it.

One thing I couldn't find was Fiebings pro medium brown. Neither Tandy or Oregon Leather carries it, but they do in the regular dye. I figure I can mix light and dark brown and come up with something useable

Now it's on to dye experments.

Wiley Desperado

JD, if I understand correctly you are trying to get a Russett color.  Try this one, on a non-dyed piece of leather rub virgin olive oil onto the leather let it set in the sun for awhile if it doesn't get dark enough do it again, if you get the color you like seal it by rubbing it with leather balm or something similiar.  I think it will be a Russett color.  

outrider

JD,

If you can't find a particular Fiebings die at Tandy go to the horses mouth...go directly to Fiebings.com and you can see all that they catalog..Also, they give you dealers to get the stuff or I think you can buy it direct.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Justino Caballo

I made a knife scabbard this past weekend and used the olive oil method. wow i loved it! i seriously reccomend to try it at least once.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

JD Alan

I haven't tried putting anything in the sun. The sun doesn't shine in Oregon most of the time, at least not in the northern valley Having said that, we are having unusual clear, very cold (for us) weather right now. I guess i can always use the dash board too. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Thanks also for the "Buy Direct" from Fiebings.

Dalton Masterson

I use the dashboard all the time, while I drive around at work. That way I can flip them every so often and keep the finish even. Works well. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

TN Mongo

I've gotten good prices on dye from Siegel of California.  They have a website.

JD Alan

I forgot about this thread, and posted a long, rambling one on Preacher Clint's My First Rig thread.

I've managed to find a pretty good assortment of Fiebings oil dyes locally. I bought the small bottles, not too expensive, so I will start messing with them to see what's up with what.

The plot thickens ;D 

outrider

JD,

No sun huh  well maybe you can try a tanning bed ;D ;D ::) ::)

Another supplier of Fiebings die is located in Georgia...called Peas and Corn Co.  www.peasandcornco.com
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

JD Alan

That's funny Outrider! Actually, tanning is big business in Oregon, at least in the metro areas.

I heard from Fiebings

Jeff:
Sorry you can't do this (mix spirit and oil dyes) as the colors are from a different family.
Yours --Richard Chase

I guess the Fiebing families don't get along very well!

I think with the primary colors being available in the oil dyes, a guy could get just about any color he wanted if he worked at it long enough.

Thanks to all who took a shot at this thread, JD

cowboywc

Howdy All
I've been mixing the dyes for years with no trouble.
The only difference between them  is the oil dye has a little Neatsfoot oil in it.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

outrider

WC   same here..I have never had a problem mixing them either.
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

ChuckBurrows

Yep I've mixed for years too and like a lot of ole timers even use to make my own oil dye by adding a bit of neatsfoot or olive oil to the spirit dye and then whipping it up in an old blender to mix it thoroughly - use it and after storing if it separates blend again..........

FWIW - I "simplified" years ago and use Fiebings in just a few colors - then I thin or mix as wanted:
1) British Tan
2) Dark Brown (just thin to get lighter browns)
3) Russett - sometimes hard to find but oddly a truer brown than the regular brwon with it's reddish tones
4) Black - mostly use vinegaroon but sometimes need to touch up edges - also use it on bone, horn, and antler
5) Ox Blood.......

I've also mixed Fiebings with the old Tandy Pro dye and also with homemade dyes ------just do what it takes to get the color look you want...........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

outrider

Howdy Chuck,

I also use the dies that you listed with the exception of the vinagaroon.  I believe the old Tandy Pro Dye was produced by Fiebings.  I also have mixed these two together without any problems
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

TN Mongo

I've also mixed dyes without a problem.  Outrider, I'll see you Saturday, if it's not to cold or raining.

cowboywc

Howdy Outrider
Up until Tandy closed all it's stores 10 years ago they had their own dye plant. They closed it when they
closed all the stores. Fiebings produced dye and stains for them after that.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

Thanks gentlemen. If you all mix dyes, then mix I shall do.

God bless, JD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com