Leather in the cold

Started by Willie Dixon, January 18, 2009, 05:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie Dixon

I was wondering if you guys could offer me some help.  My dad gave me his favorite suede leather jacket for up here.  It's really nice, but the problem is the leather looks to be getting brittle!  The shoulder ripped, and I know how to fix that in a way, but I'm nervous about it getting worse.  Is there anything that can help?  Is it because it came from Southern California and now being up here in high altitude and the cold weather made it brittle?  I love this jacket, and I'm honored that my dad let me have it as a going away gift.

Any help would be appreciated.  I just don't know because of it being suede instead of standard leather.
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Marshal Will Wingam

I'm not too familiar with suede but perhaps one of the pros on here will know more about it. I sure would want to get that repaired as best possible, though.

BTW, I saw you had two copies of this thread so I got rid of the duplicate for you.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Willie Dixon

thanks Marshall, sometimes my computer wigs out for some weird reason. LOL  I was just about to PM you about it!
I've been going through all the FAQ areas too, haven't seen much, all I can think of is that it just feels brittle now somehow.  I love that jacket, and I really want to repair it right and take care of it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Ozark Tracker

Willie, how old a coat is it?   did it tear or rip in the area where it hangs on a hanger?
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Willie

I can relate to your problem, my Dad was big on suede, he had coats and jackets, he use to keep them covered in plastic or medium thick paper garment covers, he learned to do this when he lived in Denver, sometimes we forget that when it's cold it can also be very very DRY, and this dryness can wreak havoc with hides over time, and they will get dried out and brittle, I've had this happen to a few leather jackets in the past, I guess keeping them covered must help a lot, because my Dads coats and jackets seemed to stay in good shape, and when he covered them he really covered them, nothing showing at the bottom, BUT NOT SEALED, they still need to breath. Willy you could also find some suede leather that matches, and then make some shoulder plackards to sew over the bad area, that's if the tear is at the top of the shoulder

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Willie Dixon

it's about ten or so years old.  It ripped down near the pocket probably from wear, but also, I was sitting in a chair at the library in a craftsman style chair and it was resting on the chair back and when I leaned back it ripped near the shoulder, not even on the seam, just two new clean tears.  Thanks for the help

Thanks Ten Wolves, it's really dry up here too, we're at 15,000 feet so yeah, that could definitely be the problem.  Any chance that there's some sort of conditioner that I can apply to it?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Willie Dixon on January 18, 2009, 07:43:16 PM
it's about ten or so years old.  It ripped down near the pocket probably from wear, but also, I was sitting in a chair at the library in a craftsman style chair and it was resting on the chair back and when I leaned back it ripped near the shoulder, not even on the seam, just two new clean tears.  Thanks for the help

Thanks Ten Wolves, it's really dry up here too, we're at 15,000 feet so yeah, that could definitely be the problem.  Any chance that there's some sort of conditioner that I can apply to it?

You know Willy there might be, you might want to contact Fiebings or any of the leather product company's, if there is something to condition suede they would know, I personally don't know of anything , but I haven't had reason to look into it till now, let us know what you find out. ???

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Willie Dixon on January 18, 2009, 07:43:16 PMThanks Ten Wolves, it's really dry up here too, we're at 15,000 feet
Where are you, in Tibet? ;D

Ozark Tracker

Probably needs a little dose of oxygen   :o ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

SaddleRider

I have never used this product, but it may be worth you doing some research on it.

I did a google search, with the keywords "suede conditioner" and the following website/product was the first link.

Quoting the website product details:

"Formulated to restore and condition suede and nubuck

Prevents suede and nubuck from drying out"

The website price states:  $12.00  (not including shipping and so on)

It's called "Nubuck and Suede Conditioner Daily Care".

Direct product url is:  http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/accessories/shoe-care/nubuck-and-suede-conditioner-daily-care/1344/detail.aspx

JD Alan

Tibet? That's good Will ;D Mount Hood is the tallest mountain in Oregon where I live, and it's about 12,000 feet. I'm trying to imagine where someone would live at 15,000 feet. I'm wondering if maybe it was a typo. It will be interesting to find out.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Willie Dixon

SaddleRider, thanks for that link.

I'm in Flagstaff, Az where the elevation is around 8,000 feet and the top of the San Fransisco peak is about 15,000 or so feet.  It's dang high!!  like here's a pic of the mountain from Flagstaff, now remember, Flagstaff is already at 8,000!

Russ T Chambers

The 3 main peaks making up San Francisco Peak are Humphrey Peak (11,940 feet), Agassiz Peak (12,300 feet), and Fremont Peak (11,940 feet).
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

JD Alan

That's a beautiful place to live, Willie, but I think I would need an oxygen tank to survive! I've been through Flagstaff a number of times, driving from the LA area to Minnesota. I used to live in Orange County in SoCal, but moved to Oregon in '79. That's a great picture, thanks for the memories, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

That's beautiful country, Willie. I used to fly charter all around that area. We could see those peaks from almost anywhere in the state once we were up to altitude and they were good visual navigation points.

Willie Dixon

Quote from: JD Alan on January 19, 2009, 09:49:45 AM
That's a beautiful place to live, Willie, but I think I would need an oxygen tank to survive! I've been through Flagstaff a number of times, driving from the LA area to Minnesota. I used to live in Orange County in SoCal, but moved to Oregon in '79. That's a great picture, thanks for the memories, JD 

LOL  Nice.  I'm from Anaheim, Ca right smack dad in the middle of all that crap!  Love the lack of concrete jungle out here, and after I'm done with school I'll either stay in Flag or move to Prescott.  They are quite the set of mountains aren't they?

Yeah, it's good to be back in my mountain again...
except for my jacket.  anyone else have any info on what to do?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com