58 Remmies with Kirst Konversions

Started by Swifty Morgan, January 16, 2009, 10:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swifty Morgan

Howdy all!
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these new fangled converters?
When they fire off they hit them primmers hard! Real hard.
But it does not seem like it hits em dead center every time? I think I had one or two hit brass not the primers. (I gotta recheck that one) The ones that were not dead center are hitting close to the edge of the primmer.
I wonder if I am doing something wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RTH

Hoof Hearted

It sounds to me like maybe the mainsprings are so stiff that you are not cocking (the pistol :o) well every time.
Thin those mainspings some by beltsanding them sort of "wasp waisted" being careful to smooth all edges, until they feel more like a cartridge revolver. Then see if they index properly when you thumb the hammer back.

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Wolfgang

Are you sure you have the correct cylinder for the gun ? . . . I bought an Army San Marco '58 recently that had been monkeyed with enough to take a Pietta conversion.  The fellow I bought it from hadn't done the monkeying with it, . . had shot a few rounds in it.  The chambers did not quite index with the barrel but it did shoot.  I only bought it to get the conversion cylinder and some other stuff that was part of the deal.  Would not have thought of and would not shoot it.  It became parts for my other Armi San Marco back up pistol.  If your firing pin is hitting that far off something is wrong.
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Bow View Haymaker

Mine started doing that a while back.  ended up that it was over rotating a bit and the bolt was not dropping into the notches on the cylinder properly.  ( I think I might have buggered them by forcing the cylinder when it didn't slip in right one time?)  Had a gunsmith I trust look at it and he confirmed the issues. I added small approach cuts to the notches in the cylinder and also adjusted/straightened the hand and bolt a bit.  works like a charm again.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Swifty Morgan

Were gonna run em again and see!
I think it is opperator error.
Thanks for the imput I do appreciate it!

RTH

Flint

Check the cylinder stop notches.  Newly purchased Pietta C&B cylinders have a wider notch .156 than the older ones .136.  If your gun is a Pietta, it's worth checking, because I don't know which width of bolt Kirst (or R&D) is making the cylinder for.

A slot too narrow cannot lock up.

If you are experiencing overtravel, you might have to adjust your hand to the new cylinder's rachet.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Marshal Will Wingam

I had one that was over rotating and it was because the bolt was too wide for the notches. I slimmed it slightly and cut lead-in ramps like Bow View did and the problem stopped. Haven't had any problems since.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Swifty Morgan

I'll take a look at that! Thanks.
I believe just one of them is doing it. But I will take a look at both pistols.

RTH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com