Leather Wrap

Started by Wandering Man, January 16, 2009, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wandering Man

This is an embarrassing question, but since I have no skill with leather, no tools, and no leather, I've got to ask for help.

3Reds has been shooting her Marlin 1894 by grabbing the bottom of the lever, and pulling.  Now she wants to learn to shoot the gun the right way, by pushing it open with her hand fully inside the lever.  Problem is, it hurts!  We've seen other lever actions with lever coverings, but don't know where to go to get one.

As I said, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to leather craft, so I can't just make one for her.   :-[

Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Wandering Man
Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Marshal Will Wingam

Just wrap a leather thong around it and tie it off at the rear. I do mine that way. Be sure to use softer leather for a softer wrap. Go around the triger guard area once and then down the length of it wrapping the ends in opposite directions. Tie it beyond where your hand will be.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

If you search around there are places to buy them ready-made.  I think our Adirondack Jack sells them.

For myself, I get a leather thong, like a bootlace, and double wrap it from front to back.  Start with the middle of the lace inside the trigger guard and wrap one side tightly down to the end, and then with the other end wrap it the opposite direction over the first wrap.  At the end you should have a bit left over.  Tie the ends together or whip it with something like artificial sinew.

My hand is not large, but I only use two fingers inside the loop.  I leave the pinky out.  You will probably find that this leaves the trigger finger at the right place at the right time.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Wandering Man

I thought it was an actual hunk of leather, stitched together at the bottom.

I got bootlaces I could wrap around it!

Is that all there is?   :-\

Thanks,

WM

I use the lace.  Others use a snap-on.  Others might use a lace on.  I figure you can choose what's available and convenient for you.  Being re-tyred, so to speak, I avoid giving others money for what I can do myself.

Wandering Man

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on January 16, 2009, 09:00:01 PM
Just wrap a leather thong around it and tie it off at the rear.

Well, I went to the local lingerie department and checked out their thongs.  Couldn't find any leather ones, though.   ???

I guess I'll have to go the big city later in the day.

;D

WM

Wandering Man;  Did you try one of those XXX shops? ;) ;)

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Wandering Man on January 17, 2009, 10:21:35 AMWell, I went to the local lingerie department and checked out their thongs.  Couldn't find any leather ones, though.   ???

I guess I'll have to go the big city later in the day.
LOL

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Forty Rod

Quote from: Wandering Man on January 16, 2009, 09:32:30 PM
I thought it was an actual hunk of leather, stitched together at the bottom.

I got bootlaces I could wrap around it!

Is that all there is?   :-\

Thanks,

WM

Use the boot laces to learn how, but boot laces are hell for stiff and hard, and not friendly to blued steel.  Ask some of the folks where to get veg-tan leather lacing in your area and once you know exactly what you want it to look like, replace the boot laces with the good stuff.

A good glove on one hand is an acceptable idea, too..., or use both a glove and a lever wrap.  Take care of your lady's hands.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Wanderin' Man;  Check the thread in the 1860-1866  special interest board.  Follow the thread on Jonny Reb and his guns going west.  Daniel Nighteyes posted a photo of his '66 carbine on page 3. This link leads you quite near.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,23992.msg316180.html#new

Not only is it a good lookin piece, it shows the lace lever wrap quite well

Wandering Man

Thanks for all the replies.

I had the lever wrapped with the softest bootlace I could find, and 3Reds liked that.

Then I remembered a couple of pieces of leather I had laying around.  I'd trimmed the bottom off a pair of (motorcycle) chaps to make them the right length.  Nice, soft leather.  I cut that into strips and wrapped it around the lever.

Works very well!  Much softer, but not as purdy.  The strips were too short to get a nice braid on the end, so I tied them off with the bootlace.

Most Cowboys probably weren't after Purdy, anyway.  Just as long as it did its function.

WM

Wandering Man

Oh yeah ...

... 3Reds says I can stop lookin' at those leather thongs.    :-[

WM

Adirondack Jack

I like a THICK lace-on style wrap. I've been using mine a few years, and had lots of requests, so finally made a bunch by hand and sold em all in no time.

Soooo, I paid the money and had a die made, and had a local leather guy with the clicker machine make me up a HUGE bunch.  I have em in two weights, heavy and super heavy.

I sell a lot of em.
cowboy45special.com
For folks with small fingers, the "super" gauge is what ya want.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Wandering Man

Adirondack Jack,

Thanks for the link.  I think I'll go do some browsing.

WM

Nevada Mark

Wandering Man,
     I use the shoe lace wrap BUT found a thin peace of felt and placed it under the wrap. Got a soft leaver now -- But at my age you could expect that  ;D :-X
Aim Small - Miss Small = A Ture Statement

Gun Butcher

I think I may have posted these pics once before but I slept since then so here they are again. The wrap is soft-tanned buffalo and I laced it on. It works great and stays in place.
                                                                          Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com