Cutting Thick Leather

Started by Patrick Henry Brown, January 16, 2009, 11:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Henry Brown

What do you fellows use to cut thick leather -- or thin leather for that matter. I'm sure many use sharp scissors for some leather, but what about the 1/4" thick stuff? Enquiring minds need to know!

cowboy316

Preacher
     I just use my utility knife with a brand new blade.
Before you use the new blade tho clean it real good dew to the oil they put on them when they package them
it doesnt look to good on new leather lol
                       Cowboy316

Marshal Will Wingam

I have a knife I made out of a power hacksaw blade that really makes short work of just about any leather as long as it's sharp. In the picture, the blade looks dark, but that's just the light. It's shiny and clean.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

TN Mongo

I've been cutting most stuff out with a medium size exacto knife with a new blade.  It works well, if you're careful.  Do many of you use an "old school" round knife?

knucklehead

i use a standard box/utility knife to cut all leather.
i now have a head knife and now learning to cut leather with it.
but i find myself going back to the box knife.

also think my head knife is dull. going to have to learn how to sharpen it now

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

cowboywc

Howdy
Most of the heavy leather I cut with my head knife or my round knife.
You need a poly cutting board to work with these. The knives will stick in a rubber mat.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

randyc

I use a head knife and sometimes a utility knife in cutting my 6/7 oz. and 8/9 oz. holster leather

Randy
Randy Cooley
Bulldog Custom Gun Leather
www.bulldogleathercompany.com

T.C. Grant

WC--stupid question but are a head knife and round knife different?  I thought they were the same thing. 

cowboywc

Howdy TC
Very much alike but different.
The base of a round knife is almost straight across point to point.
The points on a head knife dip below that.
I've seen many listed wrong in ads.
Here are pix of each.
WC

T.C. Grant

WC-Thanks for the explanation.  I see the differences in the blades now. 

JD Alan

WC, I've noticed the different shapes of those knifes before, but can you tell those of us who don't know which one is used for what type of cutting  ???

Thanks much, JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

hey JD good question in 25 years of leather work ive been afraid to even try one just flat scary lookin lol
     But i guess i better learn how to use one if im gonna do more leather work now lol
          Cowboy316

JD Alan

I asked the people at Tandy yesterday what the difference was between head and round knives, and they said none. They said it depends on what part of the country you are from. It will be interesting to see what comments this brings!

cowboywc

Howdy JD
I'm sorry to say that most of the Tandy people now don't know all that much. Most of the new Mgrs are
90 day wonders. They teach them how to run the store but not much about leather work. It's sad.
WC

JD Alan

Funny thing, WC. The man who said that to me went to work for Tandy 44 years ago. He managed the store in Spokane many years. He was the manager of the Portland store until he had a heart attack. He stepped down and works part time.

Not dissagreeing with your statement though!

cowboywc

Howdy JD
Well he is an old timer  but then again Tandy only carrried a round knife, they never had both.
WC

Marshal Will Wingam

I may have to make something like a head knife one of these days. Been toying with the idea. I'm not sure exactly what shape would be most useful. Hmmm........

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

From what I can tell, it seems to be a good knife to lop your thumb or finger clean off if you aren't extremely careful

cowboywc

JD
You said a mouthful. It is a tool you have to respect. Keep all fingers behind the blade.
WC

Seth Shaw

Having been using a utility knife/box cutter blade from the very start, I always marveled at how one would cut exacting lines with a Round Knife. It always seemed like such an unwieldy cutting tool. I am SURE that once you learned how to properly employ it that it's fantastic, but to a beginner or layman it looks nasty to use, hence why I steered clear of it. May need to look into investing in one in the future though and giving it a go.

BTW, I hope to stop by your shop this month WC. Been outta the leather/CAS game for the last 4 months, but I am coming back strong in the new year! Just finishing up my first set of carved holsters and a new scout belt w/ double shell shotgun loops :) I'll post pics once everything is done this weekend.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com