How much recoil?

Started by Delmonico, January 15, 2009, 07:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Seen this question pop up from time to time, there is a formula you can do some figuring and compare to something you already shoot and get an idea.  Just takes simple Jr. High type math.

However this is really only good to compare Nitro loads to Nitro loads or black to black since we all know black has a slower recoil speed.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Adirondack Jack

Somethin ain't right.  Ya gotta have a velocity number there, or ya can't calculate momentum or recoil.

Now maybe they were figuring it back in the BP days where they could account for velocity through knowing bullet and powder weight, but I suspect there's a better way.

Check this article:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_recoil.htm
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Daniel Nighteyes

Given my size I'm essentially one big recoil buffer, so I've got my own formula of sorts.

After pulling the trigger I figure that, if I'm still standing (in my own boots), my eyes aren't blacked, my nose isn't bleeding and I can still hear the posse saying "What the heck was THAT?", the load was just about right.

;)

River City John

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

That formula was came up with around WWI by the ordnence dept of the US Army, stole it out of Hatcher's Notebook, and for some reason I can not find my dang copy of it, might have loaned it to someone who liked it better than me.

Despite it being maybe a bit obsolete, I put it up because it is still a useful formula for getting an idea on comparing different firearms.  There is a lot else to figure on felt recoil such as butt shape and stock shape and what some call the wimp factor.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Fairshake

Daniel Nighteyes, I will have to put that formula away. I would say that is warthog status. It's the same one I use. 
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com