Cowboys and Spencers *** Two Great Photos ***

Started by Two Flints, January 15, 2009, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Hello SSS,

A really great photograph of Two Fully Dressed Cowboys, Missoula, Montana Territory, circa 1880s with a Spencer Rifle.   These Wild West cowboys are wearing great cowboy hats, fringed leather chaps, and brand new cowboy shirts with kerchiefs. The cowboy seated on left has a Colt revolver? in a double loop holster, as well as a Spencer rifle. The very young cowboy on the right has what appears to be a Winchester in his arms. They are posing with three Native American women and a child.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Jrw8214

Great picture. The one on the left has a Russian in his holster though.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Jrw8214 on January 15, 2009, 12:24:14 PM
Great picture. The one on the left has a Russian in his holster though.

Looks more like an 1878 Colt double action to me.

Well now I just saw the spur on the trigger guard.   Russian it is.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Willie Dixon

great pic!! That's awesome... saving that one!
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Herbert

the litle felow looks lick hes ready to scalp somone

Two Flints

SSS,

Here is a photo that my wife found for me.  She has the Spencer "bug" too ::) ::)

Another outstanding photo this one showing an Interracial Armed and Mounted Posse, circa 1890s. Seven determined looking men (four standing; three mounted) pose outside the large doors of a building in an unidentified town. Although none wears a badge, this group clearly means business. They wear large hats and chaps and several are armed; one stands with his finger on the trigger of a Spencer Carbine. A black cowboy and a Mexican cowboy are among the mounted members of this tough bunch.

A closer look at the cowboy with Spencer.

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Deadeye Don

The guy holding the Spencer looks about 120lbs   soaking wet.   That was probably about the size of most cowboys back then  not the plus sizes we see at alot of matches today.   ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Willie Dixon

poor guy probably got thrown back about 30 feet when he fired the thing!  It is only a carbine!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Roscoe Coles

The other rifle in the 1st photo is worth another look.  Its clearly a rifle, you can see the forearm cap and the barrel band, but if its a winchester it looks like a 1892 rifle.  Its too small for an 1886 or a 1876, I can't make out a cartridge carrier or spring screws so you can't say its  a 1873 and lastly, the bottom of the frame looks rounded, like the 1892.  It could be something else of course, its hard to tell from the angle and magnification plus the photo is a little blurry in that spot,  but if its a 92, its not an 1880s picture.  Perhaps a little work with a proportional caliper might prove handy (use the know length of the Spencer to calculate the length of the other rifle and compare it against the overall length and distance between the toe and the forearm cap for the 1873 and the 1892, you could even tell if the barrel were shorter than standard by measuring the distance from the forearm cap to the end of the barrel.

Perhaps thats too complicated for the info gathered.

French Jack

I am thinking that the fellow on the right facing, with the rifle, is holding a Marlin.  There is a hump where the lever pivot pin is, not quite the same look as a 92 Winchester.  Possibly an 85 model.
French Jack

red leg

Nice picture. From left to right the 4th and 5th cowboy looks like they are wearing bandannas over their city neck ties . What do you think ?

Bead Swinger

Hey Two Flints -
Now I know what sort of holster to make for my Russian this (or next) winter! Great Flik!
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Two Flints

Bead Swinger,

This is what I have to carry my S&W Schofield...Slim Jim holsters from Old West Reproductions.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Willie Dixon

I'm not worthy!  I'm not worthy!  I'm scum, I'm scu-um!!!  That looks amazing. Great rig.  A Spencer and a Schofield, wow.  just wow.  would not want to go against that cowboy.  It's like Maverick, he draws quick enough to end all fights!  Yours is your weaponry!

Capt. Texas Elliot

I'm with Willie, fantastic set up.

If that was a twin hammer double barrel it would be my dream rig.  ;D

I love the Schofields and I love the Spencer. As finances permit this is what I want to set myself up with.

Two Flints

Thanks for the nice comments ;D

At the top of the photo is my 12GA Spencer Shotgun, below it is my .45 Schofield Spencer, and two of my S&W .45 Schofields.  All the leather work (with the exception of the SASS Badge Holder) was done by Rick Bachman of Old West Reproductions.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Willie Dixon

I thought that was a spencer shotgun!  Nice!
I really like the look of my concept for my gear:
Stoeger sxs premium nickel and blue
Spencer Carbine
1858 Remington c&bs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com