cas calibers

Started by sngle_axion, January 14, 2009, 02:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sngle_axion

what is the most popular cas caliber and why? and which one would be the best for home defense?

Willie Dixon

sngle axion,
I know you're new, but so am I.  Please, please search around.  Use the search button at the top of the page.  there are millions of posts and threads and topics on this.  All of them have differing opinions.  Some like 38 because it's quicker, some like 45 because it's more authentic, let alone the 44-40. 

Myself, I'm going 44-40 with my first rifle because I love blackpowder and 44-40 loves it too.  I'm also going with a cap and ball pistol so... yeah, not much help for you there.

For home defense, that's what my USPs and 1911s are for.
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Tensleep

Quote from: sngle_axion on January 14, 2009, 02:15:51 PM
what is the most popular cas caliber and why? and which one would be the best for home defense?

The most popular caliber is most likely the 38/357 because of cost of ammo.

The best home defense weapon is gonna be your shotgun!
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Texas Lawdog

A 12 ga pump with #4 Buckshot is very effective as a home defense weapon. Probably more 38/357 or 9mm because of availability.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I agree with Ten Sleep, about the shotgun being #1 in home protection, but I will add that if you choose a 38/357, only load 38 special ammo in it, the 357 will go through walls and could do damage to a loved one or neighbor, not to mention take there life.

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Pettifogger

Just about every newbie buys .45s, has a blast, and then when their speed starts to pick up and they decide they want to be a little  more competitive, they start downloading the .45.  After a while, they give up and buy .38s.

Willie Dixon

or they can just enjoy the game and not be competitive as well.  That would be me.  I'm only competing against myself and I want the shots to be as authentic as possible.  So after all these responses, it's really up to you.  .45 is cheaper than .38 if you buy .38 but reload .45 after your first box.

it's really your call pretty much.  that's why I said to do some research and come up with an answer for yourself.  I changed three times before I became really happy with my c&b remingtons.  Now I can't go wrong.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

??? I think I've shot just about everything, but I always come back to my 45 long Colt for the caliber I like the best, for me it just says old west, and I love the way it feels when it goes bang, for some, speed and cheap is the important thing, for me I like to be as close as I can to the real thing, and for me that's 45 long Colt, I'm also thinking of giving cap and ball a try, that's also the real deal.
      What ever you choose get it for you , try to shoot several calibers to see what you like, and get the one YOU LIKE, not what every one thinks you should have, ( IMHO ) I load my own ammo so cost isn't a problem, and 45 is a little more than 38 special, but not enough for me to give up shooting the 45 long Colt, Just as some have traded down to a 38, even more have gone from 38 to the 45, if you check the numbers there are more shooting 45 colt than any other caliber.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Willie Dixon

45 LC has the most options in pistol and rifle as well ;)

Four-Eyed Buck

It's either a personal or monetary deal. On a personal level, i shoot three different calibers. Started like a lot do, with .45's. Like the caliber. Then when the wife finally settled on a set, I inherited her cast off .38 caliber revolvers, got a rifle to go with them. After that, I got the 38-40 bug after reading a lot of Mike Venturino articles. I shoot all three in rotation and enjoy each one. For the most economy in shooting, the .38's will be best. For satisfaction, it's what feels good to you...............Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Deadeye Dick

NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Tensleep

Quote from: Willie Dixon on January 14, 2009, 11:47:31 PM
  .45 is cheaper than .38 if you buy .38 but reload .45 after your first box.

and if you reload, then .38 is cheaper...  ::)

Quote from: Willie Dixon on January 15, 2009, 03:02:57 PM
45 LC has the most options in pistol and rifle as well ;)

DO WHAT?  :o
Where did that info come from?
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

August

I don't know the answer for all over the world, but around here (Southern Arizona) the answer is .38 special and 38/40.  New guys seem to show up with .45 Colt's stuff, but soon migrate to .38 special or .38 W.C.F.

Sawed-Off

Something I hadn't thought about before - in a given model, the .38 will be heavier than the .45 due to having a smaller hole in the barrel. This might not matter to some folks, and to others, it might.
Cairns City Cowboys #445
S.A.S.A. #4090

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Saw-Doff;  That issue was discussed at length a while back when advice was sought for calibers for the ladies.  It works out, if you use the .45 Cowboy Special, and the EPP UGG bullet.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Shadow Catcher

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on January 14, 2009, 05:51:26 PM

I agree with Ten Sleep, about the shotgun being #1 in home protection, but I will add that if you choose a 38/357, only load 38 special ammo in it, the 357 will go through walls and could do damage to a loved one or neighbor, not to mention take there life.

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D
Not to pick a fight or anything - but if you're gonna shoot at a bad guy that may be a threat - would you want to shoot at  him with a round that couldn't penetrate sheet-rock.  Heck - I can do that with my fist!  I want to shoot him with the most effective round I can - and choosing to down load from .357 to .38 seems a might  . . .wrong.

Shadow Catcher

Jrw8214

Quote from: Shadow Catcher on January 16, 2009, 11:56:56 PM
Not to pick a fight or anything - but if you're gonna shoot at a bad guy that may be a threat - would you want to shoot at  him with a round that couldn't penetrate sheet-rock.  Heck - I can do that with my fist!  I want to shoot him with the most effective round I can - and choosing to down load from .357 to .38 seems a might  . . .wrong.

Shadow Catcher

I agree here. I keep a .357 for home defense. I dont care if it goes through the wall so long as it goes through the intruder first. ;)

Professor Honeyfuggler

Think "collateral damage."

For home defense, most experts agree that higher power FMJ rounds (like .357 Magnum vs. .38 Special for example) are not the best choice. You don't want bullets going through walls with the risk of hitting your own family. or the folks in the apartment next door. A .357 can go through two layers of drywall and still do nasty damage on the other side.

If you do want the higher stopping power, a safer option is the special "home defense" bullets offered that either aggressively mushroom or fragment when they hit a hard surface. 

Taurus currently has had a sales phenomenon on its hands with The Judge, precisely because of this "shoot the intruder, not the baby in the next room" concern. Loaded with 6 rounds of .410 buckshot the Judge packs a lot of "GO AWAY!" in a small, portable package.

Personally my choice is my 12 ga. Coach Gun, not in the least because I get so much practice with it at SASS shoots. After all, a SASS shoot is a pretty decent combat shooting course, only in funny clothes.  ;D

Marshal Deadwood

Do you know what a .38speical is ? It's a .45 set on 'stun.'

MD   * not the whimp posse

Blackpowder Burn

My personal favorite is the 44-40, changing off occasionally to the 45 LC.  Both loaded with a case full of black powder and a soft cast bullet.

I have a new personal defense theory - use either of these rounds and by the time I torch off a couple of rounds of black powder, I'll fill the room with so much smoke a bad guy will never see me.  Then I can escape, if I haven't put him down.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com