Lyman 49th Ed. 1876 Data - Your opinions?

Started by Hobie, January 14, 2009, 07:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobie

Well, I finally popped for the manual.  Read Brian Pearce's article.  Goes a long way with me that Brian wrote it.  Covers all the 1876 cartridges EXCEPT the .50-95. Was surprised by some things such as some of the powders and charges used and that there's no pressure data.  Was particularly interested in IMR or H4198 data.  What is your take on this?

PS - nope, no .50-95 data.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Hobie on January 14, 2009, 07:23:05 AM
Well, I finally popped for the manual.  Read Brian Pearce's article.  Goes a long way with me that Brian wrote it.  Covers all the 1876 cartridges EXCEPT the .50-95. Was surprised by some things such as some of the powders and charges used and that there's no pressure data.  Was particularly interested in IMR or H4198 data.  What is your take on this?

Hi, Hobie

I have been using H4198 with good success.   I don't have the 49th - yet- so what's the question in terms of those powders?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

larryo_1

I have had this manual since it came out.  There is alot of good stuff there but I prefer to "cook" my own loads.  It is interesting to note that I have been able to wrangle copies of the Ideal manual No. 1 and No. 35.  Both have data on these calibers. But none on the 50-95 of which doesn't bother me as I don't have one.  I have found that one of Ken Waters old reports listed all these calibers including the 50-95.  If my memory serves me right he listed around 24 grains of 2400 for the 50-95 but don't quote me.  That stuff is all in his new book if one wants to get one.  I think that in a year or so Lyman will no doubt be putting out info on the 50-95 also and along with that they will be putting out some stuff on pressure tests too.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Hobie

Quote from: Grizzly Adams on January 16, 2009, 11:52:39 PM
Hi, Hobie

I have been using H4198 with good success.   I don't have the 49th - yet- so what's the question in terms of those powders?
I thought his charge weights of other powders compared to 4198 were a bit high.  He kinda copies other sources but goes out on a limb a bit with Trail Boss and AA2015 (at least compared to others).  He tested at 18 and 25 degrees.  I thought the use of 2 30 gr. Pyrodex P pellets was interesting.  His opinion is that the MODERN 1876s are good to 28K CUP. 

I was hoping you'd read the article.  I've done so several times now.  Not sure if it is really good info or slightly suspect. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

larryo_1

Hobie:

I did some testing with 4198 this past fall.  The load that I tested was 27 grains of the stuff and I used BACO bullet that weighed in at 350 grains.  The average velocity was 1266 fps.  It had a good CV at 0.4%.  I would have to go and look at the can to see if it was H or IMR tho.  I just tested that one loading and did not pursue it any further.  FYI I am using the Hoch mold and 16:1 alloy.  I do also have some 20:1.  I did test both alloys and did not see any appreciable difference in performance except maybe a little less leading with the 16:1 stuff.  That is, by the way, what the old timers used for their alloy.  Hope this is of some help.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Hobie on January 17, 2009, 03:21:28 PM
I thought his charge weights of other powders compared to 4198 were a bit high.  He kinda copies other sources but goes out on a limb a bit with Trail Boss and AA2015 (at least compared to others).  He tested at 18 and 25 degrees.  I thought the use of 2 30 gr. Pyrodex P pellets was interesting.  His opinion is that the MODERN 1876s are good to 28K CUP. 

I was hoping you'd read the article.  I've done so several times now.  Not sure if it is really good info or slightly suspect. 

Thanks, Hobie.  I need to get off my keaster and get a copy. ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

farrow3240

My brother and I purchased the 49TH Lyman book and i saw nothing on the 45-75, 45-60 or the 40-60 anywhere in the book. Where in the book is this info. Either my eyes have finally failed completely  from old age or my edition is lacking an update or something. Please help because i would love to have some published loading data. Thanks.

larryo_1

farrow
Look in the front of the book.  I think it is also listed in the index.  Nothing on the 50-95 tho.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

farrow3240

I'll take a look after i get home tonight and see if i can find it. Thanks.

farrow3240

Duh, Guess what? Found it. Does the word BLIND describe me? Passed right over it, never thought it would be a section all it's own, with some history even . Thanks for all your help guys.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com