Answer to basket weave questions on other post

Started by Springfield Slim, January 12, 2009, 12:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Springfield Slim

My computer won't let me reply to posts but I can do an original one, go figure. Anyway, to answer some questions, I used the Tandy X534 to do the buttstock cover in the other post. I use 6-7 ounce veggie tanned leather, and I don't overlap the tool, just get the edges touching. And I make all my own patterns to match the gun, no generic covers. It really isn't that difficult. And I started doing the partially sewn backs as it sped things up quite a bit and still works great. I also leave a tab at the bottom rear so it folds over the bottom of the buttstock and pads the shooter just a bit. I hated my Crescent stock on my Uberti and this was enough to solve the pain problem.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Curly Red Ryder

Successful me! No I begin!

JD Alan

Thanks times 2. I know what you mean about the crescent shape butt. I have a Marlin now, but plan to buy a 66. I love the look of the crescent, but the Marlin stays in place much better.

JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

I can sympathize with wanting to do something with that crescent buttplate. I sawed my crescent butt stock off and glued a piece on so I could mount a Sharps-style steel buttplate on it. The originals had them so I felt justified. Then I had to cover all that mismatched wood with a buttcover. The end result is I got the rifle I wanted. With a cool butt cover. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

HorsePen Henry

Hey Marshall,

I'd like to see yer rifle and how it looks now. Got any pictures?

Horse Pen

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

Here ya go, XPen. There's a slight gap showing on the one side of the buttplate. I could have done a better job of fitting the buttplate to the stock but It was solid as a rock and there was no way anyone would be seeing the rifles without the cover due to the mismatched wood. It shoots great. I really like it.

Marshal Will Wingam

Here's a photo of an original I found online to document my external modification so no one could ever complain about it.

Springfield Slim

That looks alot like the older style L.C.Smith buttplates. Hey, I can answer again. But my cursor blinks all the time, I wonder why?
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

JD Alan

Shoot howdy Will, you really replaced a chunck of wood there. Very nice job, and good looking cover. Thanks for the pictures, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Glad to see your 'puter working again, Slim.

Quote from: JD Alan on January 12, 2009, 11:30:54 PMShoot howdy Will, you really replaced a chunck of wood there. Very nice job, and good looking cover. Thanks for the pictures, JD
Thanks, JD. Those crescent buttplates reach up the stock a few inches up. In addition, the stocks narrow down toward the buttplate, too, so you have to cut above the narrowing point. You can't just take them off and work the wood down. That sure shoots good, now, though. No more jamming those points into my shoulder on the clock. ;D

RollingThunder

I feel a little awkward saying this, however, you covered your butt pretty well there!
::)

Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com