Pecan Stain? Hey Ace!

Started by Patrick Henry Brown, January 11, 2009, 04:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Henry Brown

I've been reading a bunch of previous posts and I see where Ace came up with a pecan stain. Has anyone tried this? Successful? Can I get a recipe? Thanks!

Ace Lungger

PC.
It is a simple job, it is just like making the walnut dye. I made mine walnut and pecan with green hulls! I have been told you can use the hulls that have came off the walnuts and or thepecans, if you have a pecan tree close, go see if there are any of the hulls laying on the ground, and you might get lucky and find some that got knock or blowed off before they opened and droped the hulls. I used I quart of green hulls and made 4 gallons of dye. The color of the pecan is a little darker and where you have to soak your leather 6-8 days in the walnut to get a deep color, 2 days in the walnut is almost to dark. I am sorry that I didn't have any freezer space or I would of bagged up a gallon bag of the green ones. i pulled a good one, 2 weeks ago, and spilled a whole gallon >:( >:(.
here is how i make mine, I take a quart of green pecans or walnuts, some people put there nuts in a leg of a panty hose, i don't, thats your choice! I take a 3 lb empty coffee can, pour the nuts in and fill with water allmost to the top, I use a hot plate but you can use what every heat sour you want, Put the fire on high, and put a loose lid of some kind, not something that will hold pressure, let boil for 20 miins., then turn down to 2 or 3 and cook all day. The next day you will have to add a little water and stir and do it all over again for 4 days on the 5th day get you a cheap $2.00 collender and pour ypu dye in to another coffe can, or tuperware bowel or what ever, then I store my dye in 2 litre bottles. Then you take your nuts or hull that are in your collender and start all over again. Then when you have made all the dye you want, you can use your panty hose or a tight netting and put your nits in it and let it hang up to dry out. I put 1/2 a pint off rubbing alchol per 2 litre to keep it from molding.
Hope this helps.
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

T.C. Grant

Here is a link to a good article at a basket making website: http://basketmakers.org/topics/tutorials/walnutdye.htm

It says you can use walnuts, pecans, and shagbark hickory.  Thought maybe someone might find this useful.

T.C.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com