Dye Tests

Started by santee, January 11, 2009, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

santee

I am in the midst of The Great 2009 Saddlebag Project and decided to test out some of the theories I've seen posted in this forum. No walnut in this one, fellas. But check out the others. I was amazed at what a day and a half of sun would do!! Think I'm gonna go that route. Incidentally, these scraps are all from the same chunk o' leather.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Santee  :D

This the way to do it, now you will and can see what affect your dye, oil or finish will have on your leather, and it will be a little different on every animal, unless you have the hides of the same animal, they will all be different, even though you do the same thing to them as far as dye/conditioner/oil/finish, I like to do several test on the same piece of leather to see what I like.

Looks like you're getting into it now Pard  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Good move, Santee. Each hide will react differently so it's nice to know how it will look before starting in. It'll be fun following you on this.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Interesting color from the coffee, huh? Like a butternut. No, it doesn't smell like coffee (after a coat of oil).

I'm photo-documenting my progress like Johnny McCrae does with his saddlebags (he's been really helpful getting me started on this). Maybe I'll post them.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

JD Alan

Cool experiment, Santee, thanks for sharing it. I'm curious about the feel as well. How would you compare the Fiebings with the Olive Oil? Does the Olive Oil leave a residue, or do you do something to seal it?

Thanks, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

santee

The spirit dyes stiffen the leather up and you have to add some oil or conditioner to make it pliable. Using just the oil, in light coats, doesn't leave it oily. I guess it's just enough to help the sun tan process.

Got the bag parts outside soakin' up the rays right now. Hope some bird doesn't fly by and crap on them.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Marshal Will Wingam

Remember that blemishes add character, Santee. You'd have to make up some interesting story to go with it, then. ;D

JD Alan

Thanks for the response. Who knows, you might start a whole new "Bird Poop" look, never can tell ;D
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Sgt. Jake

Santee     Untill I get a coat of oil on my cofee stained leather,it reminds me of well COFEE,which makes me go pour myself another cup.               Adios  Sgt.Jake

santee

Just got in...no bird dumplings on my leather (phew!)
Here's before and after. May put it out for another day just to see...
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Marshal Will Wingam

Those darkened up nicely. It'll be interesting to see what happens after another day, if you choose to do so. That would depend on the size and number of birds in your area, I guess. ;D

santee

Will, we have buzzards down here the size of Cessnas. One day, in Tombstone, my wife and I came back to the truck and it looked as though a Teradactyl targeted my vehicle. :o

Now that I recollect that moment, I'm gonna space all the saddlebag parts farther apart today...
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

RollingThunder

Oh my word! That is too funny.

Nice tests too. I know my saddler likes to oil stuff up and set it on the fender of his F-250 (black) to help the oil soak in naturally. It does darken, but he claims he gets better oil penetration than just laying it in the shop, because the pores of the leather open up.

I'm gonna have to agree with him, as I think that sounds pretty close to making sense. Never did take an un-oiled piece of leather and try it though. Hrrrmmmmmm. Might have to take one, oil it, and then cut it and leave part of it outside, then bring them back in after a few hours and see if there is a measurable difference to the penetration there.

Gee-whillikers Mr. Wizard!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: santee on January 13, 2009, 06:52:16 AMWill, we have buzzards down here the size of Cessnas. One day, in Tombstone, my wife and I came back to the truck and it looked as though a Teradactyl targeted my vehicle. :o
;D ;D ;D

T.C. Grant

after seeing the coffee dye it makes me what else is around here that could be used as a make shift dye....hmmm
I am gonna experiment with some coca cola.  Hawaiin punch would be good too...my daughter has "dyed" the carpet in a few places with that!

Mogorilla

The leather I used in my Strike-A-Light post was some elk I picked up.  It was so pale as to be a cream colour.   My first test was stong coffee reduced by half.   It came out streaky.  Next test was two pots strong coffee, reduced to one pot level and half a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.   The result of an overnight soak is the colour of the Strike-a-light bag.   I also used it on brand new whit bone beads and the antler tip.  The picture does not do the colour of the bones justice.  I think the alcohol helped open it up to soak in the coffee.   I spoke to a friend who is an artist and they mentioned dyeing paper with tea.  I have some chinese brick tea (tasty stuff by the way) and a good chunk would brew a strong pot, my try it next.   I will keep better photo documentation next time.   

santee

Cool, Mogorilla.
Day 3 of the suntan resulted in no serious changes, so I think maybe the pinnacle was reached.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

RollingThunder

Quote from: Mogorilla on January 14, 2009, 12:12:14 PM
I think the alcohol helped open it up to soak in the coffee.

I used the same tactic with my wife when I proposed, except it was to open her up to the idea of marrying such a lunkhead, not to soaking in coffee.

And it worked too! :D
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

santee

;D That's funny.

Those of you who have used Skidmore's or Lexol: how does it alter the color of the overall project? I remember using Bag-Kote and it didn't seem to affect the overall color. I'm tempted to buy one or the other based on the comments here.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

cowboywc

Skidmore's only seems to darken if you put it out in the sun
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com