Bertram-vs-Jamison

Started by CavSoldier3ACR, January 08, 2009, 09:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CavSoldier3ACR

I have noticed that Bertram brass is much more expesive than Jamison brass.  It is about three times the cost.  For those of you with more experience, is it three times better? How does Starline brass compare (assuming they ever start selling brass for the 1876's).

larryo_1

For what it is worth, I much, much prefer 348 brass and Starline to Bertram.  Not only because of the cost difference but also for the cartridge life.  In the first box of Bertram that I got, I had one split on the first shot.  I now just keep that one for "Show and Tell."  As far as Jamison is concerned, I have no experience.  I, myself, am sticking with Starline and 348 brass.   ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

kurt250

i've  never thought that bertrum bass was all that great and the price is totally crazy. go with buffalo arms brass. it works and is readly avalable from there web sight.i have many calibers from them and never a problem except once with 45/110. they made it right over the phone. good company . kurt250

Ivory Jack

Get the Jamison brass.  Bertram brass is very brittle and tends to split lengthwise or separate at the case head.  I've been using Jamison 45-60 brass in my '76 for over two years with no problems.
Ivory Jack McCloud
SASS# 8534 LTG
Territorial Governor
~The Cowboys~

Longhunter

Jack,
           Where did you get your Jamison 45-60 brass?
A gun is only a tool, no better or worse than the man behind it.

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Pards
As far as Starline they are busy trying to keep up with everything else . They are talking about 76 brass but don't have a date .
Jamison is talking about after the first of the year , which means they should be getting close ????? Give them a call .

Hobie

There is no comparison, Bertram costs so much because it is imported.  Jamison should be better, I'm sure Starline will when they get 'er done but so is .348 or .50 AK based brass. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Ivory Jack

Quote from: Longhunter on January 09, 2009, 06:05:12 PM
Jack,
           Where did you get your Jamison 45-60 brass?

Howdy Longhunter,

I bought mine in '07 from Custom Brass and Bullets.  They still list it @ $51.50 per 50 rounds. 
http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/ji076.html 
Ivory Jack McCloud
SASS# 8534 LTG
Territorial Governor
~The Cowboys~

Pettifogger

Heck, its almost virtually non-existent v. nonexistent.  I haven't seen any Jamison .45-60 brass for sale in a long time.

ndnchf

I see Custom Brass & Bullets lists Jamison .50-95 brass.  Funny, I thought Jamison was just gearing up to offer it.  But then I also saw where Jamison had been working with Ten-X to produce the same brass a few years ago.  I wonder if this listing refers to brass from the previous Ten-X run or if they are anticipating the new brass coming out shortly ???

I sent them an e-mail asking if they had the .50-95 Jamison brass in stock.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Mad Dog Jack

I sent an e-mail to Custom Brass and Bullets to see if they have any 45-6o brass, no word yet. Anyone know where they are located? Did'nt see an address or phone number listed...
MDJ
NEVER drink downstream beer!
STORM #318

ndnchf

I was wondering about that too.  Why would a reputable business not be willing to put their address and phone number up for their customers?  It does make me wonder ???
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Longhunter

Ivory Jack ,
                 If you have been useing Custom Brass and Bullits .45-60 brass since 2007, with no problems ,I think I will give it a try.
                 Thanks.............

ndnchf

I e-mailed them Wed. night and here it is Friday night and still no response  ???  No address, no phone # and an e-mail address that gets no response, hmmmm  :-\

Mad Dog Jack

NEVER drink downstream beer!
STORM #318

Ivory Jack

Quote from: Longhunter on January 16, 2009, 07:27:15 PM
Ivory Jack ,
                 If you have been useing Custom Brass and Bullits .45-60 brass since 2007, with no problems ,I think I will give it a try.
                 Thanks.............

Longhunter,

I haven't done business with them since '07, so I can't certify that they're still in business.  I am however, still using the Jamison brass, and it's on the 10th reload.
Ivory Jack McCloud
SASS# 8534 LTG
Territorial Governor
~The Cowboys~

Longhunter

I sent an e-mail of to Custom Brass and Bullits on Sunday to see if they had 45-60 brass in stock, they did not get back to me yet.
Does anyone know if they still exist?
Has anybody bought from them lately?

ndnchf

I e-mailed them a week ago today.  Never got a response.  I think its a dead end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com