Saddle Skirting for Holster?

Started by JD Alan, January 08, 2009, 01:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Gentlemen, I seem to remember someone talking about using saddle skirting for holsters, but I don't remember who. I just got a flyer from Tandy, advertizing a sale on saddle skirting. The add says 13-15 0z, 22-24 sq ft sides, $85.00 each.

They also have a lighter skirting, 10-12 oz, with some areas as thin as 8 oz. 22 sq ft sides for 79.00 each.

Any thought on using this for unlined holsters?

Thanks, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Major 2

I had a small piece of 15oz on hand, and made a Gus style Crossdtaw.
I wouldn't have set out to use it, less I have a piece around.
Came out OK but was tough to work, I gave it away and is still used by the owner
when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Will Wingam

I usually like 8-9 oz for holsters. 10-12 would be the heaviest I'd want to use.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

I thought and thought about that yesterday, and ended up ordering the Culatta instead. FIgured it would be used more for my stuff. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

I'm going to get out there this morning (Friday) and take a look at what they have.

Thanks for the responses, I do appreciate it. I wish I could remember who on this forum wrote about using saddle skirting for holsters. I think they also mentioned using russet saddle skirting. I guess I need to do a search.

JD Alan

OK. It was Buck Stinson on a thread talking about Herman Oak leather, December 27th. He didn't mention russet though, someone else did that.

One reason I asked about this is I have a shootin Pard, Snappy Dan, who has a set of holsters made by a guy in Nevada that are very heavy. Snappy told me they were 11-12 oz leather, not lined. I don't remember the maker's name, but he sure did a nice job on Snappy's rig.   

Dalton Masterson

I do use the heavier stuff when I make one for my Walker or a holster that needs to be VERY firm. Its rare, and usually only if I happen to have the weight on hand.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

outrider

JD Snappy's rig is really a nice one.  However I did see a SASS no no...he has a pistol round in his shotgun belt :o ::) ;D
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

RollingThunder

Hey JD ... those cuffs I'm working now are heavier leather, 15 oz. I'll agree, it's tough to work, but the "life" this specific leather had was worth it. The fun part is just making sure you get spots that are either A) long enough, or B) Able to be pounded in deeply enough that they set in well.

I'd imagine stitching them would have their own particular challenges, by the way. :D
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

knucklehead

JD, Dang i reconized that belly poking out in front of that belt a mile away. ;D
I didnt have to open the pic to reconize Snappy Dan's gun rig.
That rig just works well for him. and of course he just loves that rig.

Quote from: outrider on January 09, 2009, 02:25:42 PM
JD Snappy's rig is really a nice one.  However I did see a SASS no no...he has a pistol round in his shotgun belt :o ::) ;D

Actually if you look at the picture again. you will notice the pistol round in question is tucked behind the shotgun shells on his pistol belt.

and while it is a sass no no, Snappy only does that durning the monthly club match.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

JD Alan

They don't call him Snappy for nothin, do they Knucklehead? He's a great Pard, always dressed sharp, good guns & leather, always a great attitude.

Outrider, our club shoots both SASS and Western 3 Gun. This picture was taken during our big annual W3G event last summer. If Snappy had been outside the rules at that moment, trust me, several people would have cried foul!

I visited my Tandy Store today. Bless their hearts, this wasn't a good day to find leather. I'll leave it at that, 'cause I really like those folks.

I do appreciate all of you guys weighing in on this thread. God bless, JD 

Trailrider

Howdy, Pards,
I generally use 8-9 oz. topgrain veg-tanned leather for Western holsters (unlined), but 10-11 oz. (unlined) for my hunting holsters. For lined holsters, I equal these thicknesses using two layers back-to-back, depending on what's available.  Saddle skirting is a might heavy for my tastes.  Just MHO. :)

Your Pard,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

JD Alan

Well, I was kinda hopin to elimate puttin two pieces together, 'cause I get wrinkles every time I glue'm together. I've read everything on gettin it right, but................ 

TN Mongo

13 - 15 oz., unlined would work just fine.  My regular competition holsters are 8 - 9 oz. with a 6 - 7 oz. lining.  They hold there shape forever.  You may have to adjust your patterns some to accommodate for the added thickness, however.

Justino Caballo

JD,

i bought one of the saddle skirt hides last saturday at Tandy. I guess we had a little better selection than yall did. anyway it was 12-15 oz (advertised). i previously bought a 9-10 oz double shoulder. anyway i guess my double shoulder went towards the heavy side and the skirting i picked up leaned to the lighter side, but dang if they aint awful close to the same weight. really aint no difference working the leather to me. Thanks for bringin it up or i woulda never looked. 
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

knucklehead

Quote from: JD Alan on January 11, 2009, 07:43:19 AM
Well, I was kinda hopin to elimate puttin two pieces together, 'cause I get wrinkles every time I glue'm together. I've read everything on gettin it right, but................ 

are you folding the main body of the holster to resemble a holster before you start glueing in the lining?
doing this will help you avoid the wrinkles. and if you have small wrinkle that does now show i wouldnt loose any sleep over it.

next time you see snappy dan ask him about his 30 gallon hat.
its a hoot to see him wearing it during a match
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com