Colt SAA #1 to be Auctioned

Started by Fox Creek Kid, January 07, 2009, 03:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye Don

So do you think this is the real deal?   Might be worth investing in.  I think it would end up being a better investment than the stock market.  What do you all say?
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Deadeye Don on January 07, 2009, 06:21:56 AM
So do you think this is the real deal?   Might be worth investing in.  I thing it would end up being a better investment than the stock market.  What do you all say?

Of course I do. The provenance is bulletproof.

Xavier

Well I commented on this on the SASS site and was promplty chastised but here goes:

(Note I could not get the above link to work but I believe it is the same link as that provided on the SASS wire)

First, I have absolutely no compelling reason to doubt the validity of this piece. I just thought the story was rather strange:

An UNKNOWN officer has the gun for roughly 50 years...it then is owned by another UNKNOWN (the drugstore employee) who in turn trades it to the BROTHER of Mr. P.G. Barnard and so on...

It seems to me that a lot of the provenance for this revolver is based on the letter from P.G. Barnard - and it wasn't even his gun.

I was (not so) politely informed that this was BS and that the gun is well known among Colt collectors. I also noted in my reply that to my knowledge there is no other gun that is claimed to be #1 so that alone may be the best support that this is the correct piece.  As I said, it just seems like a strange story to me.

Xavier

Deadeye Don

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Duke York

As a fairly new member, I am slowly working my way back through old subjects, hence the late posting.
In John Parson's book, "The Peacemaker and It's Rivals" (which was borrowed from me over 25 years ago) there is a photograph of the genuine Peacemaker serial #1. A 71/2" B&C with one piece walnut stock.
Can't remember whether the front sight was  German silver.
Duke York
SASS 15978

JimBob

Quote from: Deadeye Don on January 07, 2009, 06:21:56 AM
So do you think this is the real deal?   Might be worth investing in.  I think it would end up being a better investment than the stock market.  What do you all say?

This a well documented firearm as to originality and ownership over the years.As to an investment,it sold at a Christie's auction May 14,1987 for $242,000.The buyer was Greg Martin.We'll have to see what it brings this time.That link above doesn't work,anyone know what the auction est. is.Ser.no 1 was auctioned off another time in 2009 by Greg Martin Auctions with an estimate of $500,000 to $1,000,000.It brought $750,000 and with buyer's premium and taxes the final price was $929,000.I believe at the time it was the highest price ever paid for a SAA.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I don't have access to my old NRA RIFLEMAN magazines, but I do recall seeing an earlier auction being mentioned.  In the 70's??, I seem to remember a $100,000 or so price?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com