Colt SAA

Started by sngle_axion, January 06, 2009, 10:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sngle_axion

If you purchased a colt 3rd generation would you shoot it or leave it as new for collectability purposes?

St. George

Shoot it.

That's why Colt builds them.

Just shoot it, properly maintain it, and don't abuse it - and it'll still rise in value as time goes on.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

RRio

Quote from: St. George on January 06, 2009, 11:05:32 PM
Shoot it.

That's why Colt builds them.

Just shoot it, properly maintain it, and don't abuse it - and it'll still rise in value as time goes on.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Ditto!   ;D
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Pettifogger

Unless it's highly engraved or some truly "special" model or variation, you won't live long enough for a 3rd Gen Colt to be a collector's item.  Shoot it, have fun.

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I shoot my 2nd Gens. Every match. If I had a 3rd Gen I would shoot that too.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Virginia Gentleman

Colt puts a card in with the gun indicating the gun's value will drop if it is shot, so why does Colt want you to shoot it again?  Colts are for collectors, USFAs are meant to be shot and so are the Italian clones.  Most of them blow Colt away in performance too and don't make you pay through the nose either.

sharps50/70

I think it is true that a Colt will drop in value if you shoot it but no where near as much as a USFA or Italian clone.  And as for quality, years past many 3rd generation Colts had problems, just like USFA revolvers (I've had to send one back and repair the other myself) but the new Colts made in the past two years are great.  No quality control problems and VERY accurate right out of the box.

I own one Colt 2nd gen. and have shot a friends new 3rd gen.  Great guns!  I also own four USFA SAA revolvers because I like their different models (flattops and 22 plinker) and for the price, they can't be beat but for resale value, they are no where near a Colt.

Rich

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: sharps50/70 on March 02, 2009, 08:18:57 AM
I think it is true that a Colt will drop in value if you shoot it but no where near as much as a USFA or Italian clone.  And as for quality, years past many 3rd generation Colts had problems, just like USFA revolvers (I've had to send one back and repair the other myself) but the new Colts made in the past two years are great.  No quality control problems and VERY accurate right out of the box.

I own one Colt 2nd gen. and have shot a friends new 3rd gen.  Great guns!  I also own four USFA SAA revolvers because I like their different models (flattops and 22 plinker) and for the price, they can't be beat but for resale value, they are no where near a Colt.

Rich

A bad USFA is practically a perfect Colt before they started to make "decent" guns as of late.  True, their quality has improved, but out the box they are no better than many of the run of the mill clones, infact, my friend's had a 12lb trigger pull.  We fixed it easily, but the gun should have never left the factory that way.  Value, I won't argue since a Colt is really more of a collector's gun than a shooter.  USFAs hold their value fairly well, not like the Colt, but let me know if you see any USFA Pre-Wars at half price since they devalue so much. ;D

sharps50/70

hey Virginia Gentleman,

I paid $850 for a used USFA flattop in as new condition.  That's devaluation!

Virginia Gentleman

I have heard of used Colt SAA 3rd gens used going for about as much.

Danny Bear Claw

My SASS Colt - Marshall model - is extensively engraved and beautifully nickle plated and, as yet, unfired.  Shoot it or don't shoot it.  That is the question.  A friend of mine examined the gun and stated, "If they delivered a Ferrari and parked it on your driveway, you would take it for a spin,... Wouldn't you"?
I'll probably shoot the SASS Colt, but not too much.   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Marshal Deadwood

Last new Colt I cycled, the action felt about like rubbing a sandstone rock over a steel catwalk. That could be remedied,,but,,,, it wasn't really as 'eye appealing' as a Cimarron/Uberti.
A 'new' third gen Colt 'should' cost 650-725 dollars, retail. And thats some hay tossed in for the 'ponie.'

USFA,,,what a Colt 'coulda' been.

MD

Curley Cole

When I got my last check from the Asylum after retiring it was considerably more than I expected, so I considered it a sign, so I contacted Sixgun Shorty and got me my first and probably only real Colt. He picked me a good one. It is almost identical to my all black Great Western, and lo and behold the Colt really has a pretty smooth action right outta the box. The action is for all intents and purposes identical to the GW. I shot them at 5Dogs last month, and they were a real joy to shoot. And when I would put them on the loading/unloading tables every one admired my "brace of Colts" So, I am glad to say I have one Colt, and it will be shot and shot some more...along with its twin half brother...

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Dutch

I bought a third gen colt something like 5 years ago.  I had some problems early on.  I don't anymore.  I carry it with me on hikes in the ozark mountains.  I've put some real mileage on the finish.  I've also put a fair amount of hard cast lead bullet reloads thru it.  Maybe usfa's are better than the new colts, maybe not.  I don't care my colt will always be a colt.  My son, the non shooter is greatly interested in it.  I'll leave it to him some day.  I do know this, colts were made for shooting, and carrying.  They're great at both of those jobs. 

Marshal Deadwood

I agree with this,,if you have a gun you can't use you might as well have a picture of said gun. Colts and USFAs should be used just the same as one would use an Italian clone. Or, thats my personal viewpoiont on firearms. I take  pristine care of it,,,after I use it. Non shooting type guns,,and yes I've had a couple that I deemed to nice for ME...got traded off on something I WOULD shoot. Colts , USFAs,,,a man would be doing them a dis-service to NOT shoot them. After all,,that's what guns are for.

MD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com