Uberti '66 Firing Pin Toggle Stop?

Started by Bangor Dan, January 06, 2009, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bangor Dan

VTI shows a part identified as a Firing Pin Toggle Stop (#721) in the parts schematic for their '66 Uberti....new in 2008. Can anyone inform me how it operates\what its function is, and can it be retrofitted to an earlier made (1999) uberti '66?
Thanks,

Bangor Dan

Pettifogger

The original Uberti design used a 1/16" diameter pin to secure the bolt extension to the bolt.  They have now changed the parts to make the joint stronger.  No need to retrofit unless you are replacing the bolt or extension.  Then you need to buy both pieces and the toggle stop since they don't make the old style parts anymore.

Fox Creek Kid

Pettifogger, explain this more in detail, please. I'm familiar with the ORIGINAL '73 Win. safety that worked off the left toggle(?) I believe.  ???

Pettifogger

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on January 17, 2009, 03:06:48 PM
Pettifogger, explain this more in detail, please. I'm familiar with the ORIGINAL '73 Win. safety that worked off the left toggle(?) I believe.  ???

Actually, the new Uberti bolt retention system looks a lot like the original Winchester.  The big difference is that the original Winchester had a solid one piece firing pin that was mechanically withdraw by a retractor.  The retractor fit up inside the bolt and into a recess in the firing pin.  When the gun was levered the tail of the retractor hit a stud on the left link and this forced the firing pin to retract.  Uberti uses a spring loaded firing pin that retracts itself.  The new retention device fits up in the bolt to hold the firing pin extension in the bolt head, but is rigidly mounted and there is no stud on the left link.  Looks pretty similar though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com