Aircraft

Started by Arcey, January 05, 2009, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

Ed's daughter, Evelyn did know how famous Bill really was. She knew him as,"Tex" and not as Bill. I got to know Ed's  wife, Martha real well. She was a real "hoot".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Texas Lawdog

They had a 2 day air show at Chino on May 4-5. They had 5 of the 6 P -38s did a flyover during the air show. There are only 6 fly able P-38 in existence.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Steel Horse Bailey

What a sight it must've been!

Was "Glacier Gal" one of them?
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

SHB, I did not get a list of the planes.

Texas Lawdog

"Thoughts of Midnite", "HoneyBunny", "23 Skidoo", "Tangerine", and "Glacier Girl".

Steel Horse Bailey

Cool!  "Glacier Gal" is one of the early versions.  You can see a difference looking at the engine cowling right under the prop spinner.  I THINK the planes with "G.G." are the only ones surviving of the early models.  (I say the ones WITH "G.G." because it's my understanding that it's being attempted to get a couple MORE from that glacier, but I don't know if that continues.)

LOTS'o'Bucks involved ...

Texas Lawdog

CAF had a P-38 at one time, I have not seen it in nears.  It was configured as one of the photo recon models, I saw it crash land in Breckenridge several years ago, nothing since then.

Steel Horse Bailey

I LOVE P-38s.

Of course, I could say the same about P-51s, Spitfires, Tigercats, Mosquitoes, Hellcats, Fokker D-VIIs, A-26s, F-86s, Twin Beeches, Bearcats, and many other flying machines.

;D

One of our SMVS (Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society - our NCOWS Olde West shooting & re-enacting club) members, Mr. Robert "Chief Oldtimer" Browning, was - I just found out - a former pilot.  Back in 1940 he was 16 and began a short career (just a couple years) as a crop duster down Texas way.  He said that at the time, DDT was not legal to use as a bug killing chemical so they used powdered sulfur.  Take a guess what plane they used!?!

Give up?

SPADs!  The guy he worked for had a bunch of wrecks (an acre & a half!!) along with 4 or 5 flying SPADs.  The wrecks were all types, not just SPADs, but he bought them surplus from Uncle Sam.  Many folks may not know that after WWI the US Army Air Corps used SPADs they had purchased from France into the 1920s.  Captured Fokker D-VIIs and a few D-VIIIs (not many D-VIIIs were built by the end of the war - fortunately for the Allies!) were also used by our early pilots. 

He (Bob) is very interesting to listen to because he has a great memory and despite his age, he's still pretty active, including shooting most of our monthly matches as well as some SASS matches.  After he passed 18, he joined the Army and began his flight training to be a pilot, but about 3 or 4 weeks into training, they found out he was mostly deaf in his Left ear so they said "Bye."  He didn't even have to turn in his uniforms when they released him from service.  Needless to say, he was disappointed as well as a little pi$$ed, so he went out to a field in California (where they released him) with his duffel bag full of uniforms and set fire to them!   ;)

Bob said the SPAD was pretty easy to fly, as were several other biplanes he flew during his " 'Duster" career.  The only plane he ever owned was a Stinson L-5 he bought after WWII.

It was cool finding all about this guy's other life "back when."  He'll be 85 his next Birthday.  Great Guy!

Texas Lawdog

Those WW2 vets are neat to talk to. The B-29/B-24 squadron has a WW2 vet, that  was a fighter pilot.  He was a member of the "Eagle" squadron before the US entered the War. His name is Bob, I cannot remember his last name. He flew Mustangs and P-47s. Bob was 93 on his last birthday. He is still sharp.

Steel Horse Bailey

My friend Bob WISHES he was a WWII vet.  He joined, got thru induction and past the first few training flights before the "Docs" found out he was deaf in one ear.

Disappointed is a good way to describe his feelings about the issue.

Texas Lawdog

"Glacier Girl" is owned by a guy from Houston.

Major E A Sterner

Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Texas Lawdog

The "Connie"  would need to  be painted in a USAF. MATS markings to be considered.

Texas Lawdog

The Dixie wing of the CAF is restoring  P-63 Cobra. It should not  be too long until it will be flying again.  Congrats to the Dixie Wing for restoring such a rare Warbird.

pony express

Airshow at Lake of the Ozarks today, not a real big show compared to some, but only the third annual one.

pony express

A few more:

pony express

Texas Lawdog may be familiar with some of these planes, I'm sure they make some of the shows down his way. The AC47, and Gunfighter P-51 are out of Kansas, I believe the TBM is from the Missouri CAF. The B-25 that was scheduled at first couldn't make it due to engine problems. Couldn't afford a ride on Gunfighter, it runs $1650 a ride, and his available rides were sold out before the airshow even began. Unfortunately at the moment, I was too broke to go for a $150 Stearman or $180 PT-19 ride. Local bank along with several other local businesses sponsored rides for local WWII and Korea vets in the AC-47 and TBM, I think 16 rides, had a drawing to choose who got to go. Usually they do that in the B-25. Also had several Pitts doing aerobatic shows, and a group of (I think) 6 doing some formation flying, with 2 or 3 different types of small civilian planes I'm not familiar with.

Texas Lawdog

The B-25 on tour is "Made In The Shade". The P-51, "Gunfighter" Usually tours with "FIFI", our B-29. The job of keeping these 70 year old aircraft is a expensive and difficult one at best. These aircraft require constant maintence. I am a Life member and I belong to three squadrons. The CAF is my first love and CAS, being my second love.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com