Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 783789 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #860 on: December 07, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
And I thought a ride on a B-17 was expensive...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_space_tourism
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: December 07, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »
No Hill for a Stepper!  Leo!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: December 07, 2009, 07:42:13 PM »
That article says the spaceship has room for "six well-heeled passengers." Do you think that means I can take my C & B '58 Remmington NMA, or do I have to buy a cartridge revolver?

After I win the lottery, of course.

Advertising

« Reply #863 on: Today at 09:16:15 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #863 on: December 08, 2009, 07:18:43 AM »
A new angle for "Space Cowboys"! Keep your firearms stowed in the overhead bins and make sure your serving trays are locked in the upright position.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #864 on: January 04, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
http://www.cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=320

I usually consider 'planes just another vehicle, but here, look at these:
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #865 on: January 04, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »
Nice collection there Sir Charles.

And they said nose art was gone...this fresh from the sandbox.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: January 04, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
Chalk is kinda low rent……..
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: January 04, 2010, 03:13:46 PM »
Well they did their best within regs.  It aint no Vargas but at least someone took the time.

Roland Deschain

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: January 04, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Sir Charles,

Thank you *very* much for that link. The museum's clearly expanded since I was there (a long time ago). There are some fascinating and beautiful planes in those pictures. (although I must point out that it's obvious that the F-14 Tomcat is the most beautiful) and it was a delight to scroll through them all.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »
Nice pics. I recognized a lot of them, some I didn't. Gets the memory cells sparkin'.............Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #870 on: January 04, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »
I want the one in Pic #100  They were made for use in the Korean War. Supposely a man could carry it on his back then set it up and fly it.

I didn't see a pic of Ike's Helicopter in that group, The first Marine 1.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #871 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
http://www.cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=320

I usually consider 'planes just another vehicle, but here, look at these:

I had no idea there were so many flying wings still in existence.  There's a little one at Chino's Planes of Fame Museum that is supposedly the only one left that can be flown...supposedly

I worked with a man 24 years ago who was helping restore it and it was alway a "month or so" from being completed.  I think they announced it was done about five years ago, but I've never seen anything about it actually flying.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #872 on: January 05, 2010, 10:32:51 AM »
They may not want to take a chance on wrecking it.

If it truly IS the "only" one in flyable condition, well ...

It takes a bit of special training to fly the Old wings.  They didn't have the benefit of a flight characteristics computer to help keep it stable.

Jack Northrop would be proud.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #873 on: January 05, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »
My Grandfather and other relatives worked for Northrop after the war.  Somewhere I have a pile of scetches stored away and the wing is in there.  He retired sometime in the 70's and when he died I got all sorts of things from the plant.  Gonna have to dig it all out and see what's in there.

Roland Deschain

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #874 on: January 05, 2010, 06:26:48 PM »
My Grandfather and other relatives worked for Northrop after the war.  Somewhere I have a pile of scetches stored away and the wing is in there.  He retired sometime in the 70's and when he died I got all sorts of things from the plant.  Gonna have to dig it all out and see what's in there.

By all means!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: January 05, 2010, 09:47:01 PM »
As far as I can found out, it is the only flying wing that is flyable. The museum at Chino has had it along time before it was flyable. I saw parts of it at the museum when I visited there in 1985.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #876 on: January 05, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »

By all means!

The things I wish I had kept better track of.  So far I have come up with The patches the crews were given when asigned to a new project, some tie tacks and cuff links and some other miscellaneous stuff.  I know I kept it all but the questions is where.

Roland Deschain

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #877 on: January 06, 2010, 08:36:46 AM »
The things I wish I had kept better track of.  So far I have come up with The patches the crews were given when asigned to a new project, some tie tacks and cuff links and some other miscellaneous stuff.  I know I kept it all but the questions is where.

I unner'stan!  I have a LOT of "keepies," in my garage.  There should be a sign over the door saying: "I KNOW it's here, but where?"  Amazing how much can be kept in a 2.5 car gay-rage!  (And there actually IS a vehicle - a non-running GEO Tracker - in there!)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #878 on: January 06, 2010, 08:46:54 AM »
One thing I DO have (where I know it's located) is (are) 4 blown-up photos of my step-dad, Bud's B-24 and crew.  I got to meet the Pilot/Captain when he came to Bud's funeral.  Bud was a nose-turret gunner in a B-24G.  It had a Tucker - as in automobile - turret, if I remember correctly.  He was in during 1943-1945 time frame, and was on 4 raids to Ploesti (  :o ) and two to Regensburg.  His bomb group was in N. Africa, then moved to Italy.

When Mother and Bud married, (1960) he REFUSED to fly ('tho he would in an emergency) and still hated the Germans so much that he and Mother decided it would "be better" if they didn't visit me in Fulda (former West Germany) when I was stationed there from '83-'90.

DEEP feelings.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #879 on: January 06, 2010, 09:35:33 AM »
I know what you mean. My Dad had a Deputy who was a Bataan Death March survivor. Japanese weren/t real high on his list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com